Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

McLeod or monster?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015 | 04:51 AM
TECH Resident

So moral of this story is it's sometimes better to do the work yourself, and ALWAYS measure slave to finger gap? What's the standard 1/8-1/4?
Old 01-07-2015 | 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

yes 1/8-3/16 should be fine. monster clutches are supposed to not need a shim, or so its preached. however those emails suggest differently so who knows
Old 01-08-2015 | 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

My Monster w/ lightweight alum flywheel is going to be delivered today hopefully. FWIW I've had a great experience with their customer support while ordering the proof will be in the pudding after my trans rebuild/clutch install.
Old 01-08-2015 | 06:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by blackandgold
My Monster w/ lightweight alum flywheel is going to be delivered today hopefully. FWIW I've had a great experience with their customer support while ordering the proof will be in the pudding after my trans rebuild/clutch install.
Thanks for purchasing a Monster!! Let us know if you have any questions.
Old 01-10-2015 | 04:15 AM
TECH Resident

How are the lt1-sc holding up? I want to buy one but not sure how I feel about ceramic disks because the usually wear pretty quick
Old 01-10-2015 | 10:58 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
How are the lt1-sc holding up? I want to buy one but not sure how I feel about ceramic disks because the usually wear pretty quick
They are holding up fantastic!! How much power do you plan on making?
Old 01-11-2015 | 02:32 AM
TECH Resident

610 n/a want to start adding nitrous
Old 01-12-2015 | 10:22 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
610 n/a want to start adding nitrous
I would definitely steer you towards the the LT1-SC. Even though it is a ceramic type of friction material it will have a really good life span, even longer than most aftermarket single discs.
Old 01-13-2015 | 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
I would definitely steer you towards the the LT1-SC. Even though it is a ceramic type of friction material it will have a really good life span, even longer than most aftermarket single discs.
It seems like people are getting pretty good life out of monster clutches with a lot of abuse/power compared to the competitors. It may be a stupid question but what is the reason for that? Just higher QC or something?
Old 01-13-2015 | 08:16 PM
FormerVendor

It seems like people are getting pretty good life out of monster clutches with a lot of abuse/power compared to the competitors. It may be a stupid question but what is the reason for that? Just higher QC or something?
We have a solid QC setup, our own proprietary frictions we've created through testing and re-testing, good machinists, good assembly guys, and to top it off we have a great group of competent people who purchase and use our products. Without the customers we're nothing.
Old 01-13-2015 | 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know about that. I have a handful of 1000ft passes on my camaro and a few thousand street miles and my disc is half way gone with a stage 3.

I checked, double checked, triple checked bearing cushion and everything is right on spec. Clutch held great and performed well, I even gained 3/10ths over the stage 2, but I wouldnt be jumping up and down praising material life.
Old 01-13-2015 | 08:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
I don't know about that. I have a handful of 1000ft passes on my camaro and a few thousand street miles and my disc is half way gone with a stage 3.

I checked, double checked, triple checked bearing cushion and everything is right on spec. Clutch held great and performed well, I even gained 3/10ths over the stage 2, but I wouldnt be jumping up and down praising material life.
You're one of the few.

It's very well documented on this forum and many others that you can get quite a bit of life, when everything is healthy, out of our 3. Hell, I personally got over 30k miles out of one. We've pulled them to install twins in customers cars numerous times where, at 34k or so miles they're about half way through the life. And these aren't cars that are babied. My personal car was a 3600+ lbs GTO that I beat the sh*t out of daily and it was a track ***** - and with an IRS car you can't just dump the clutch and go, you ride the hell out of it.

BTW, I replied to your PM just now and pointed out where we responded earlier and you missed it. Let me know what you'd like to do about picking up the replacement disc. Considering this post it sounds as if you don't want to pick one up... either way, just let me know.
Old 01-13-2015 | 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

You're one of the few.

It's very well documented on this forum and many others that you can get quite a bit of life, when everything is healthy, out of our 3. Hell, I personally got over 30k miles out of one. We've pulled them to install twins in customers cars numerous times where, at 34k or so miles they're about half way through the life. And these aren't cars that are babied. My personal car was a 3600+ lbs GTO that I beat the sh*t out of daily and it was a track ***** - and with an IRS car you can't just dump the clutch and go, you ride the hell out of it.

BTW, I replied to your PM just now and pointed out where we responded earlier and you missed it. Let me know what you'd like to do about picking up the replacement disc. Considering this post it sounds as if you don't want to pick one up... either way, just let me know.

No, thats not what I'm saying. The clutch was installed in my full weight 1978 Camaro, 460hp to the tires LS1. I admitted it, I don't baby it. I take it to the track, I race it stop light to stop light. I would expect a clutch with more agressive material to wear faster than a less agressive material. Theres just no way I would ever think you could get five digit miles out of one. Like I said, it held awesome! squeeled a little if you didn't drive it hard.

I will post picstures, show you its a good set-up, the material just wore fast.
Old 01-13-2015 | 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Here you go, you can see that the flywheel and pressure plate show no signs of overheating, blueing, weird designs etc. Held great, like I said even got faster with it!
Attached Thumbnails McLeod or monster?-clutch1.jpg   McLeod or monster?-clutch2.jpg   McLeod or monster?-clutch3.jpg   McLeod or monster?-clutch4.jpg  
Old 01-13-2015 | 09:43 PM
FormerVendor

No, thats not what I'm saying. The clutch was installed in my full weight 1978 Camaro, 460hp to the tires LS1. I admitted it, I don't baby it. I take it to the track, I race it stop light to stop light. I would expect a clutch with more agressive material to wear faster than a less agressive material. Theres just no way I would ever think you could get five digit miles out of one. Like I said, it held awesome! squeeled a little if you didn't drive it hard.

I will post picstures, show you its a good set-up, the material just wore fast.
So, in short, you got somewhere around 3,000 miles in over a years time, beat the heck out of it, and it only wore ~.010"? Leaving the better part of 60% of life in the clutch, I think is not bad.
Old 01-13-2015 | 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

So, in short, you got somewhere around 3,000 miles in over a years time, beat the heck out of it, and it only wore ~.010"? Leaving the better part of 60% of life in the clutch, I think is not bad.
Yeah, thats why I say with my driving habit of what I would consider "driving the car like you stole it", there is just no way it would last for 20K-30K miles...in another years time, 6,000 or so total miles, a new clutch would be required.

I'm even the type of guy that puts it in neutral coming to a stop and waiting for the light. Some people ride the pedal. I'm sure it would go faster if you drove it that way.
Old 01-13-2015 | 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Well im about to pull the trigger on either a monster lt1-r or McLeod street twin. Just looking for the best street manners but can hold 800-1,000rwhp. Its really hard decision...seems 50/50 on this forum
Old 01-13-2015 | 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by josh4ku
Well im about to pull the trigger on either a monster lt1-r or McLeod street twin. Just looking for the best street manners but can hold 800-1,000rwhp. Its really hard decision...seems 50/50 on this forum
Are you going to drag race it at all? Based on what was mentioned by Billy at McLeod, I would not get a RST or RXT unless it was purely powerful street car.
Old 01-13-2015 | 10:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by josh4ku
There isn't a McLeod twin that will hold what a R will hold... you're comparing apples to oranges. The RXT is more along the lines of a SC, the R you're referencing has gone mid-8's in the quarter and still drives very nicely.

Give us a call and we'll go into more detail with you to help make your mind up.
Old 01-13-2015 | 10:15 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah, thats why I say with my driving habit of what I would consider "driving the car like you stole it", there is just no way it would last for 20K-30K miles...in another years time, 6,000 or so total miles, a new clutch would be required.

I'm even the type of guy that puts it in neutral coming to a stop and waiting for the light. Some people ride the pedal. I'm sure it would go faster if you drove it that way.
If I sold clutches that only made it an average of 6,000 miles with abuse I'd be out of business. Most everyone who buys our stuff beats the hell out of it.

As I said before, you're not the norm - something, not sure what in your conversion setup, was amiss.

Quick Reply: McLeod or monster?