Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

McLeod or monster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014 | 08:52 AM
The Scammer Hammer
15 Year Member

Very solid choice OP. I beat the **** out of my level 2 at 460/420 and saved the pics from the guy I sold the car to, who decided to part it out

Still looked new.
Old 12-02-2014 | 10:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Skeet Skeet
So I but the bullet and ordered the stage 3 directly from monster today. Got the clutch, slave cylinder, remote bleeder and bolt kit shipped to my door for less than the price of the clutch itself normally. They were very easy to deal with and so far the customer service seems top notch. Can't wait to get it and see how well it works.
Thanks for choosing Monster!!!!

Let us know if you have any questions.

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
You made a solid choice. I ordered mine a little over a year ago as a complete set with Tick master and speed bleeder, new slave, all the bolts, etc. It's been great so far.
Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Very solid choice OP. I beat the **** out of my level 2 at 460/420 and saved the pics from the guy I sold the car to, who decided to part it out

Still looked new.
Thanks for the kind words!
Old 12-02-2014 | 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

This is what the SPEC Stage III looked like out of my 99, less than 10K. Previous owner put this in the car, it would not have been my 1st choice, or 2nd, or 3rd

Old 12-02-2014 | 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

He wasn't contemplating a SPEC clutch.
Old 12-02-2014 | 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

true statement, it was a just in case the thought even crosses your mind post...
Old 12-03-2014 | 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
true statement, it was a just in case the thought even crosses your mind post...

The thought had crossed my mind before I went with the Monster setup, so I'm really glad I ended up going the Monster route. One of the few good decisions I've made in life.
Old 12-12-2014 | 06:33 AM
Teching In

I had the RST in my car when i bought it. Loved the pedal feel, but they don't hold up to strip passes. I would strongly suggest going with the RXT. That's what I'll be putting in there over the winter.
Old 12-12-2014 | 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by xXred99z28Xx
I had the RST in my car when i bought it. Loved the pedal feel, but they don't hold up to strip passes. I would strongly suggest going with the RXT. That's what I'll be putting in there over the winter.
Yeah, I spoke to Billy @ Mcleod. He said that at 3600-3800 lbs, and 550 HP if our cars hook the RST and the RXT will not last. He said to use the $1700.00 Street Twin. I dont understand why the RST and RXT are rated @ 800 and 1200 HP and yet will not hold up to afew dragstrip passes?
Old 12-12-2014 | 02:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
Yeah, I spoke to Billy @ Mcleod. He said that at 3600-3800 lbs, and 550 HP if our cars hook the RST and the RXT will not last. He said to use the $1700.00 Street Twin. I dont understand why the RST and RXT are rated @ 800 and 1200 HP and yet will not hold up to afew dragstrip passes?
That's flywheel hp numbers and there is a lot to take into consideration when recommending a clutch.

That said, our LT1-S will hold, and has held, that kind of power in heavier cars and is a hell of a lot cheaper - with our current sale they're starting at less than $1k with a flywheel and hardware.

My personal car weighs over 4k and makes 495 rwhp with our LT1-S, it drives like stock and takes a beating with zero issues.
Old 12-12-2014 | 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
That's flywheel hp numbers and there is a lot to take into consideration when recommending a clutch.

That said, our LT1-S will hold, and has held, that kind of power in heavier cars and is a hell of a lot cheaper - with our current sale they're starting at less than $1k with a flywheel and hardware.

My personal car weighs over 4k and makes 495 rwhp with our LT1-S, it drives like stock and takes a beating with zero issues.
I understand that they are rated 800 & 1200 at the flywheel. I am only maybe 500 at the flywheel and only 460 at the tire. You would think that either one would be MORE than enough? Thats what I dont understand?
Old 12-12-2014 | 03:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
I understand that they are rated 800 & 1200 at the flywheel. I am only maybe 500 at the flywheel and only 460 at the tire. You would think that either one would be MORE than enough? Thats what I dont understand?
That's why I rate my stuff at the tires, at 4k lbs.
Old 12-12-2014 | 05:06 PM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

Another vote for Monster!
Old 12-20-2014 | 07:16 AM
Teching In

Looks like you guys made up my mind for me when i buy a new clutch in the near future. Monster it is.
Old 12-20-2014 | 08:46 AM
The Scammer Hammer
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by jpapi68
Looks like you guys made up my mind for me when i buy a new clutch in the near future. Monster it is.
And you sir, made the correct choice!!
Old 12-25-2014 | 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

another Monster fan here....i got their stage 2 kit with the lighter flywheel and love it. i had that setup along with a Tick MC, and the pedal is only slightly harder than stock, but took any/all abuse i could throw at it.

in fact, when i had problems with my pedal sticking to the floor, i had a local trans shop install the Tick MC, stock slave, a speed bleeder, and the clutch kit all at the same time. well, despite me giving them EXPLICIT instructions (along with the instruction sheet shipped with the clutch kit which details EXACTLY how to properly torque everything), these dolts ended up installing the pressure plate incorrectly...the 6 bolts were all torqued differently, anywhere from barely staying in on their own, to needing a long breaker bar to break them loose. this resulted in the fingers of the pressure plate not aligning correctly and clutch engagement problems. due to reasons i won't go into, i ended up driving it that way for a bit (which caused transmission problems requiring a partial rebuild), and it caused hotspotting on both the flywheel and pressure plate mating surfaces, as well as glazing on the clutch disc itself.

once i got the transmission repaired and reinstalled everything correctly myself because i no longer trust anyone in my shitty town anymore, everything worked great with no slipping, no vibrating, nothing, and still handled anything i could throw at it with no problems whatsoever. i just beat the **** out of it a little once i verified the clutch engagement was setup correctly to knock the glazing off. it drove just as smoothly as it did at stock up until the day i wrecked the car.

i'm looking for a rolling chassis at the moment, and i plan on putting my engine and transmission/clutch in it, and still expect no problems from it when that day comes.
Old 12-31-2014 | 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

We offer both at great prices. Both brands are great clutches backed by good customer support. Check out our link to special online prices.

Click Here For Web Specials on Mcleod & Monster

Old 12-31-2014 | 04:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
Another vote for Monster!
Originally Posted by jpapi68
Originally Posted by dr_whigham
And you sir, made the correct choice!!
Thanks for all the votes and kind words!!

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
another Monster fan here....i got their stage 2 kit with the lighter flywheel and love it. i had that setup along with a Tick MC, and the pedal is only slightly harder than stock, but took any/all abuse i could throw at it.

in fact, when i had problems with my pedal sticking to the floor, i had a local trans shop install the Tick MC, stock slave, a speed bleeder, and the clutch kit all at the same time. well, despite me giving them EXPLICIT instructions (along with the instruction sheet shipped with the clutch kit which details EXACTLY how to properly torque everything), these dolts ended up installing the pressure plate incorrectly...the 6 bolts were all torqued differently, anywhere from barely staying in on their own, to needing a long breaker bar to break them loose. this resulted in the fingers of the pressure plate not aligning correctly and clutch engagement problems. due to reasons i won't go into, i ended up driving it that way for a bit (which caused transmission problems requiring a partial rebuild), and it caused hotspotting on both the flywheel and pressure plate mating surfaces, as well as glazing on the clutch disc itself.

once i got the transmission repaired and reinstalled everything correctly myself because i no longer trust anyone in my shitty town anymore, everything worked great with no slipping, no vibrating, nothing, and still handled anything i could throw at it with no problems whatsoever. i just beat the **** out of it a little once i verified the clutch engagement was setup correctly to knock the glazing off. it drove just as smoothly as it did at stock up until the day i wrecked the car.

i'm looking for a rolling chassis at the moment, and i plan on putting my engine and transmission/clutch in it, and still expect no problems from it when that day comes.
Crazy story man. Glad you enjoyed it while you had it, hate to hear about the car though.
Old 01-01-2015 | 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've been happy with my Monster level 1 but wish I had gone with a level 2. When the level 1 is done I'll have a hard time choosing between a level 2 or a LT1-S, it will likely come down to what my credit card and bank account balances are at the time.

Can a LT1-S be used with a Tick MC?
Old 01-01-2015 | 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the Monster Stage 2 package that came with 28lb flywheel, speed bleeder, slave cylinder, Tick MC, pilot bearing and Arp bolts. I think I paid just a hair over $1000 for it all. It was a great deal and probably one of the best decisions I made.
Old 01-02-2015 | 09:32 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Fry_
I've been happy with my Monster level 1 but wish I had gone with a level 2. When the level 1 is done I'll have a hard time choosing between a level 2 or a LT1-S, it will likely come down to what my credit card and bank account balances are at the time.

Can a LT1-S be used with a Tick MC?
The LT1-XX series can be used with a Tick Master.

Originally Posted by sierravmax
I have the Monster Stage 2 package that came with 28lb flywheel, speed bleeder, slave cylinder, Tick MC, pilot bearing and Arp bolts. I think I paid just a hair over $1000 for it all. It was a great deal and probably one of the best decisions I made.
Awesome!!

Quick Reply: McLeod or monster?