Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hydraulic Throwout bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic Throwout bearing

Okay, this is my first post here. Been soaking up info for a while and finally doing my swap, im in the middle of installing a ls1 t56 behind my old school 406 sbc in a 69 nova. I have one question that is boggling my mind, im using a stock gm hydraulic throwout bearing/slave cylinder to actuate the clutch and the way it looks to me is that the mechanical spring on the outside of the slave keeps the bearing in contact with the pressure plate at all times. Is this correct? It seems weird to me that a throwout bearing will be in contact at all times, that means its always spinning when the car is running. Just want to clear this up before in go on with the install. Thanks
Old 03-04-2015, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wage92
Okay, this is my first post here. Been soaking up info for a while and finally doing my swap, im in the middle of installing a ls1 t56 behind my old school 406 sbc in a 69 nova. I have one question that is boggling my mind, im using a stock gm hydraulic throwout bearing/slave cylinder to actuate the clutch and the way it looks to me is that the mechanical spring on the outside of the slave keeps the bearing in contact with the pressure plate at all times. Is this correct? It seems weird to me that a throwout bearing will be in contact at all times, that means its always spinning when the car is running. Just want to clear this up before in go on with the install. Thanks

Yup, that's how it works. Consider the design self adjusting for OEM applications. Many aftermarket designs require a set air gap, but as the clutch wears the fingers on the diagram raise and will require you to re adjust it.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Since you're doin a hybrid swap you may want to look into a qtr master tri lite hydraulic release bearing. You can get them in different heights.......i run one one my camaro.

Btw.....nice to see someone call it hydraulic release bearing instead of a slave .
Old 03-04-2015, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Since you're doin a hybrid swap you may want to look into a qtr master tri lite hydraulic release bearing. You can get them in different heights.......i run one one my camaro.

Btw.....nice to see someone call it hydraulic release bearing instead of a slave .
I wouldn't, OEM bearings are more reliable and cost effective. Not to mention more forgiving for adjustment. I would run all stock hydraulics. Get the ATS bracket and you're golden. I bought a OEM bearing from Rock auto, lifetime guaranteed

The actual nomenclature is concentric slave cylinder (CSC)
Old 03-04-2015, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

I've been running the same qtr master hrb since 2008 and i don't go through all the bleeding bs like most do. Stock master also.....well stock as in did the improved master back in 02. Is that reliable enough?
Old 03-04-2015, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I've been running the same qtr master hrb since 2008 and i don't go through all the bleeding bs like most do. Stock master also.....well stock as in did the improved master back in 02. Is that reliable enough?

Has yours required re-setting the air gap since 2008? Meaning it's been installed and ran non stop since 2008? You have to admit, aftermarket bearings have a bad reputation of leaking and requiring adjustment. Folks have run the same OEM slave/bearings for 100k miles hence why I would recommend one. The right aftermarket bearing is an option,
Old 03-04-2015, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

No......the only time i have cracked the bleeder is when i put new discs and plates in my clutch to reset it and just run a little fluid through it to keep it fresh. Other than that i don't bother it. It's a good system and I'm working on 3yrs since the last discs and plates.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The quartermaster stuff is meant to be abused. High quality racing gear.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

Yea....very high quality stuff.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

When I do my trans rebuild I plan on using their optimum LS clutch and tri lite bearing. I do lots of open track, and when you see the Pirelli world challenge and grand am (Tudor) beat the **** out of their cars using that setup, it's a great testament to the durability of their parts. Their stuff is costly, but it's proven on race cars around the world.

I wouldn't trust most other aftermarket TOB farther then I could throw them, but quartermaster is legit.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the responses guys. Just wanted to make sure i was understanding it right.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Throwout bearing