Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS6 Disc weight

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 Disc weight

Does anyone know how much a stock LS6 clutch disc weighs? Someone trying to sell me a RPS clutch assy told me the stock LS6 disc alone weighs 7 1/2 lbs! The RPS twin discs weight are 14 oz each, that's less then 2 lbs for both of them. I can see how over 5 lbs less of rotating mass on the input shaft would shift better and be better for the synchros in the trans.

Last edited by slow ride 02; 04-21-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not really sure on just disc weight but the whole assembly iwth a flywheel is around 51-52lbs with 24 of that being the flywheel. The rps discs may weigh less because they are a much smaller diameter especially since its a twin disk
Old 04-21-2015, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by redbird555
Not really sure on just disc weight but the whole assembly iwth a flywheel is around 51-52lbs with 24 of that being the flywheel. The rps discs may weigh less because they are a much smaller diameter especially since its a twin disk
Yes, the RPS assy is about 38 lbs. I was talking to Tony Mamo about the RST and aluminum flywheel the other day. He was telling me its more that just the overall weight of the assy and lower MOI. Its the weight of the spinning disc or discs if you have twin that effect how quick you can shift. I know that the RST discs are 2 lbs 5 oz each. Thats about 4 1/2 lbs for both. That would be about 3 lbs less than stock. How does your RPS twin shift @ high RPM?
Old 04-21-2015, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
He was telling me its more that just the overall weight of the assy and lower MOI. Its the weight of the spinning disc or discs if you have twin that effect how quick you can shift.
Flywheel and pressure plate doesn't really impact the synchros, but clutch disc weight definitely does, as it is connected to the gear train when you push in the cutch to make the shift. The higher the weight (inertia) of all the parts in the gear train (clutch disc included), the harder the synchro ring cone clutch has to work to do it's job and speed-match the gears.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
Yes, the RPS assy is about 38 lbs. I was talking to Tony Mamo about the RST and aluminum flywheel the other day. He was telling me its more that just the overall weight of the assy and lower MOI. Its the weight of the spinning disc or discs if you have twin that effect how quick you can shift. I know that the RST discs are 2 lbs 5 oz each. Thats about 4 1/2 lbs for both. That would be about 3 lbs less than stock. How does your RPS twin shift @ high RPM?
My rst shifts like a dream with the tick master. I spin it to 6700 and it never hesitates to grab the next gear. The t56 will never shift like a honda at 6700 at a certain point the trans just is what it is.

The total weight of mine is 33-34 lbs with a fidanza flywheel. Dont get the mcleod as its expensive and a little heavier. A spec fly will also work and be the same weight as the fidanza. I spent 900 total for my setup with a slave, including balancing and the flywheel. The clutch I got new on amazon for $615 then a used fidanza flywheel was 110 plus another 35 for a steel insert and 75 bucks to get it all balanced.

The moi of the disk makes the shifting better but the real magic of a smaller clutch is the response from the car. The lighter assembly and moi makes the car so much more responsive and quicker in the early gears. By the time you hit 3rd-4th the moi plays a much smaller roll. But in the low speeds and low gears the car got a LOT quicker. A heavy clutch is never a good thing barring you know how to launch a lighter one. My setup is actually much easier to drive than my buddies monster stage 3, even though that clutch is considered by many to be a DD, and my setup at 33 lbs is considered by many "Too Light to DD" lol.

Originally Posted by novadude
Flywheel and pressure plate doesn't really impact the synchros, but clutch disc weight definitely does, as it is connected to the gear train when you push in the cutch to make the shift. The higher the weight (inertia) of all the parts in the gear train (clutch disc included), the harder the synchro ring cone clutch has to work to do it's job and speed-match the gears.
Thats basically what the op said lol.

Quick Reply: LS6 Disc weight