Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Preventing Miss shifts

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Preventing Miss shifts

isnt there a way to prevent the dreaded 3-2 shift?

i think i read somewhere that theres a thing (solenoid?) you can get that is like the CAGS but it works so you cant miss third and go into second. it pretty much locks you out.

where can i get this?

i also have a JSS with the factory hurst
Old 06-03-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Normally shifting into the wrong gear is a result of improper technique. If your shifter is setup right (proper springs), this should work:

1-2 pull straight back
2-3 push straight forward
3-4 pull straight back

Let the shifter do the side to side work.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pro 5.0 shifter, and proper hand placement on the 3-4 shift.

It's hard to describe the way I hold the shifter on that shift now, but I read about doing it on this site, and I haven't mishifted since.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need to put your palm on the drivers side of the shifter slightly and pull straight back for the 3-4 shift, that way the natural movement of your arm will prevent 3-2...Missed shifts are a result of improper shifting technique as said earlier.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I went 2nd to 1st 3 times on the pro 5.0 shifter.. it will not solve ur problems.. i lost faith on all shifters now.. sorry to say this but its the driver's error 99% of it at least (i know it sucks to hear - sorry).

Im thinking of switch to an auto just because how much this sucks. Im a pro at going 2nd to 1st . My tranny came down 4 times until it broke because of this misshifting. Luckily the dealership took care of me but now i have no warranty and im scared to death.

I also asked if adjusting CAGs could somehow correct my problem (for instance using skip shift to my advantage locking 1st gear when im in 2nd gear at high rpms but unfortunately people told me this is not do-able).

I wish someone could figure away to fix this problem using cags but so far I've yet to see anyone do so.

Good news is, I *heard* some people used CAGs to fix the 3rd to 2nd misshift that you are having. So you might be lucky.

Good luck anyway and if you find ANYTHING about this CAGs fixing your problem PLEASE PM me with details im super super interested and would really appreciate it.

BTW, I read almost ALL of those "how to place your hand on the **** to avoid misshifting" articles but they did not fix my problem.

Im starting to think this is a mental problem or some weird ****. Still didnt figure out that one though
Old 06-04-2004, 06:11 AM
11 Second Club

May aswell get an automatic if you want it to be that easy :/
Old 06-04-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

I did the 3-2 shift a couple days after I got my car and promptly changed my hand position for that shift. It hasn't happened since. (Knock on wood.)

I'm sure you've read about it, not sure how they explained it. The easiest way I can think of to get your hand and arm into the proper position is this: Extend your right arm out in front of you as if you were going to shake someone's hand. Your thumb should be on top and your elbow should be basically facing downward. Now, rotate your hand (and arm as allowed) 180* counter-clockwise. Your thumb should now be on the bottom, and your elbow should be facing to your right. Now just imagine a shift **** there in both positions. To execute the 3-4 shift, simply pull "straight" back from the second position. The natural motion of your wrist and arm when moved from that position will ensure that you go into 4th. Since your arm doesn't bend that way, it's virtually impossible to go to 2nd. Does that help any?

A word of caution... don't try to follow the above steps unless you're alone, or you might get some very strange looks.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the tips guys.

its definatley my hand position.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Just practice hand position, that will help out a lot... a better than stock shifter helps too, but as the others said, it is driver error on a misshift no matter what shifter you're using... the better shifter just helps make it a little easier.

It's just like the fact that you can buy yourself the best tools in the world, but if you can't turn a wrench they won't help you one bit.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's real hard to miss a shift with a pro 5.0 shifter and lou's short stick.I power shift at 6700 and never lift off the gas and can count on one hand how many times I have miss shifted.Before this shifter and short stick combo I couldn't power shift 3rd to save my life
Old 06-05-2004, 10:39 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_TAWS6
I went 2nd to 1st 3 times on the pro 5.0 shifter.. it will not solve ur problems.. i lost faith on all shifters now.. sorry to say this but its the driver's error 99% of it at least (i know it sucks to hear - sorry).

Im thinking of switch to an auto just because how much this sucks. Im a pro at going 2nd to 1st . My tranny came down 4 times until it broke because of this misshifting. Luckily the dealership took care of me but now i have no warranty and im scared to death.

I also asked if adjusting CAGs could somehow correct my problem (for instance using skip shift to my advantage locking 1st gear when im in 2nd gear at high rpms but unfortunately people told me this is not do-able).

I wish someone could figure away to fix this problem using cags but so far I've yet to see anyone do so.

Good news is, I *heard* some people used CAGs to fix the 3rd to 2nd misshift that you are having. So you might be lucky.

Good luck anyway and if you find ANYTHING about this CAGs fixing your problem PLEASE PM me with details im super super interested and would really appreciate it.

BTW, I read almost ALL of those "how to place your hand on the **** to avoid misshifting" articles but they did not fix my problem.

Im starting to think this is a mental problem or some weird ****. Still didnt figure out that one though
werent you the guy that was trying to drive beyond your skills?
Old 06-07-2004, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
it's real hard to miss a shift with a pro 5.0 shifter and lou's short stick.I power shift at 6700 and never lift off the gas and can count on one hand how many times I have miss shifted.Before this shifter and short stick combo I couldn't power shift 3rd to save my life
I second that. Since I threw on the pro 5.0 with Lou's I haven't had a problem with shifting at all. Once you get used to it, you'll be able to fly through the gears without any problem.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with all the comments about driving skill, but......

The solenoid you are speaking of IS the CAGS solenoid. If you energize the CAGS solenoid after shifting into 3rd gear, it WILL NOT PHYSICALLY ALLOW you to shift back into 2nd gear. It is cheap insurance until you are comfortable with your shifting skill.

All you have to do is wire up the CAGS solenoid to a switch and put it on your shifter. Flip that puppy on after going into third and just try to hit 2nd gear, it ain't happening.
Old 06-07-2004, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Evolve’s explanation is essentially correct but unnecessarily complicated. The “secret” to avoiding the 3-2 shift is to raise your right elbow before pulling. This maneuver automatically rotates the palm of your hand toward vertical into optimal position on the left side of the shift ****.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been trying to use hp tuners to change the cags enable speed so it only happens in 3rd gear but i haven't gotten it to work yet.

I think it might be cause the disable throttle% is 100 percent so when i go WOT it turns cags off. I am gonna try changing it so WOT only reads 99%, maybe that'll work.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

I unscrewed my shift **** (hurst) a little so that it is angled about 45 degrees ccw from normal.

Quick Reply: Preventing Miss shifts