Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick clutch master install problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

After doing 4 or 5 trans R&Rs myself this summer I couldn't imagine doing one without a HF trans jack.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update: I got the master in, but damn was it a tight fit! I wound up pulling cylinder 3 and 5 plug wires (no biggie). After that I was having a serious problem getting it to fit between the brake booster and the wiring harness that runs under it.
MY VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION: there is a little "hump" on the top of our shock towers. It is placed perfectly such that you can use it to ever so GENTLY pry the booster up from the edge of the brake master. I only needed the booster to move up a hair so I decided that it woukd not damage anything and that this would be way easier than loosening all four of the difficult to access nuts that hold the booster. Also, obviously put a rag or something b/t your nice pretty shock tower and the pry bar lol. After that, it went in very smoothly, and a helper helped me get the bolts started. Tonight, I will get the reservoir attatched and the turnbuckle on the master cylinder rod thing and bench bleed it. I cant fully bleed it because I still have to replace my slave, which will be happening in the morning. I have spent my free time this week outside of class and work getting it all ready to drop, and the only thing hold the tranny right now are the 8 bellhousing bolts and my jack! I had serious trouble getting the top bolt on the torque arm bushing shell, and then getting the torque arm out of the bushing. This was mostly due the the fact that my fuel line brackets are flipped to provide more clearance for my tsp duals, but some more "persuasion" from my trusty pry bar and she popped right out. Does anyone have any tips for getting it back in or for getting the actual torque arm mount off of the tranny? The bolt that is attatched to the mount is too long to allow me to move the mount far enough away from the tranny to get it off, but as of right now im probably just going to leave it on when i drop the tranny, as it looks like ill have room. Thanks for all the help so far, guys! I dont know what i'd do without this website! Lol Hopefully i'll be driving her again tomorrow!

Last edited by 1995_maro_z; 09-11-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:40 PM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

getting it in is a b1tch. Just remember, it should be the last time you ever have to do it
Old 09-14-2015, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I've got the new slave put on, speed bleeder on slave, and now I'm trying to get my transmission back in. It just simply will not go any further. I believe that the input shaft is splines into the clutch, but the tip is not going in the pilot bearing. Is that even possible though?! I left the bellhousing and everything attatched he'd to it bolted up and didn't even touch any of it, so it can't be misaligned. The tranny is so close to going in that the slave is touching the pressure plate. My current method that I have been using is that I threaded the torque arm mount bolt into one of the bottom bolt holes and then I lay under the tailshaft and lift, wiggle, twist, turn, and of course, push but it won't go! Any ideas?
Old 09-14-2015, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995_maro_z
So I've got the new slave put on, speed bleeder on slave, and now I'm trying to get my transmission back in. It just simply will not go any further. I believe that the input shaft is splines into the clutch, but the tip is not going in the pilot bearing. Is that even possible though?! I left the bellhousing and everything attatched he'd to it bolted up and didn't even touch any of it, so it can't be misaligned. The tranny is so close to going in that the slave is touching the pressure plate. My current method that I have been using is that I threaded the torque arm mount bolt into one of the bottom bolt holes and then I lay under the tailshaft and lift, wiggle, twist, turn, and of course, push but it won't go! Any ideas?
Make sure the bleeder valve on slave is cracked open, It helps.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by para38super
Make sure the bleeder valve on slave is cracked open, It helps.
I'll certainly give that a try! Thanks!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

UPDATE: I got the tranny back in! Thank you very very very much to the guy that sughested opening the bleeder!!! Everything else is put back together (except my interior). As per the sticky about bleeding a Tick master properly, I began to attempt to bench bleed the master. I cannot get it to even begin to bleed or have any kind of firmness to it whatsoever. Is this an indication of a defective master out of the box? I know that whike the line is disconnected from the slave the pedal should be firm, and I figured that since there was only air in the system that it wouldn't be, but once I attatched the reservoir and filled it with fluid, there was still no pedal whatsoever. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, as usual! Hopefully i'll get to drive it after class today! Haha
Old 09-15-2015, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump!
Old 09-15-2015, 08:34 PM

First thought I have is to just hold the check valve open and let it gravity bleed. The master won't build pressure until it has fluid in it.

You might have to pull the pedal off the floor the first few times until you have enough back pressure. While bench bleeding pedal back pressure is almost nonexistent
Old 09-17-2015, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Everything is put back together, and WOW. My car is a completely different car. I do have one question though, after the install of a new shifter (MGW) is it normal to hear noise coming from the shifter area? Specifically a kind of "whirring" noise? I'm not really sure how to describe it, so I will try to get a video of it.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995_maro_z
UPDATE: I got the tranny back in! Thank you very very very much to the guy that sughested opening the bleeder!!! Everything else is put back together (except my interior). As per the sticky about bleeding a Tick master properly, I began to attempt to bench bleed the master. I cannot get it to even begin to bleed or have any kind of firmness to it whatsoever. Is this an indication of a defective master out of the box? I know that whike the line is disconnected from the slave the pedal should be firm, and I figured that since there was only air in the system that it wouldn't be, but once I attatched the reservoir and filled it with fluid, there was still no pedal whatsoever. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, as usual! Hopefully i'll get to drive it after class today! Haha
No problem man! Glad it worked out for you!
Old 09-17-2015, 05:19 PM

So, since you seem quite happy, I'm assuming you got pedal now?

Can't resist, I got a chuckle out of the very Camaro-ish userID and firebird pics all over the avatar and sig
Old 09-25-2015, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
So, since you seem quite happy, I'm assuming you got pedal now?

Can't resist, I got a chuckle out of the very Camaro-ish userID and firebird pics all over the avatar and sig
Despite the problems in my other thread, I have a great pedal lol! And my first two f bodies were camaros, but when it came time to get my current one, I was just looking for a 6 speed ls1 car. The price was right and I fell in love with the Nbm and thus I became a firebird owner lol

Quick Reply: Tick clutch master install problem