Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

has anyone mismatch different brand disk and monster clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone mismatch different brand disk and monster clutch?

I started planning my next build and i will be going over my stage 2 monster clutch capacity.

Since the stage 3 and 4 looks like it uses the same flywheel and pressure plate i decided to email them and inquire about just getting the stage 3 or 4 disk only. well since i was not the original buyer i cannot get replacement parts... WTF

anyways im curious if anyone here has tried using different disk. i like the clutch and works great just not enough capacity.

although after this if i cant get one to work ill look into other brands anyways. kinda annoyed i have no support for parts just because i was not the original purchaser.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Seems rather hard to believe ?

Surely you can just order what you need online ?
Old 10-29-2015, 01:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Seems rather hard to believe ?

Surely you can just order what you need online ?

its not there nor in other monster dealer.

heres the exact respond i received back.

"We only sell replacement parts to original purchasers. That said, we can get you a discount on a complete clutch kit. let me know and we will go from there."

while discount offer is great,(i didnt ask how much since i was rather annoyed-i dont think it would be significant though) they are basically telling me im **** out of luck but go ahead and buy a whole set with flywheel and everything(even though i dont need it) and we will give you a small discount.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

assume you have a LSx as Monster does not make a LT1/4 pull clutch....but regardless you can buy just a clutch disc typically. xx spline x xx" disc. McLeod for example

with that said you should resurface the FW and PP...and PP resurface may be a problem in either finding a machine shop to do it or there is not enough "meat" left on PP

If PP is in decent shape you could first try some emery cloth on it to clean it up, resurface FW

I don't know why Monster won't just sell a replacement disc...try McLeod, Spec or others
Old 10-29-2015, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you try SNL that's always in this section for monster ? seems like a helpful guy..maybe can sell you just what you need or give a good reason why not ?

If not sounds like you just need a pm from a member that bought a monster clutch in the past willing to be the go between on buying just a disc if they only sell them to original purchasers....
Old 10-30-2015, 09:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SNL Performance and Monster Clutch Co. is owned by me, that's why we support Monster.

That said, the discount isn't small - that's an assumption on your part, sorry I didn't include that with my response.

We cannot sell individual parts to guys who are not the original purchaser due to our insurance we carry, it's not that we're trying to be difficult. We've had to explain this before, and, unfortunately we're not going to risk our policy because of this.

If you would like to discuss this further just give me a shout, my name is Steve and I can be reached at the shop number or Steve@MonsterClutches.com.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

You can throw in any clutch disk for the most part that has the same diameter and spline. I wouldn't get too exotic though unless you know the materials the pp and flywheel are made from.

That being said, are you sure the pp is the same part number? If so, you are good to go, but usually when you run higher hp applications, they change the holding force on the pp to match the clutch material.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
SNL Performance and Monster Clutch Co. is owned by me, that's why we support Monster.

That said, the discount isn't small - that's an assumption on your part, sorry I didn't include that with my response.

We cannot sell individual parts to guys who are not the original purchaser due to our insurance we carry, it's not that we're trying to be difficult. We've had to explain this before, and, unfortunately we're not going to risk our policy because of this.

If you would like to discuss this further just give me a shout, my name is Steve and I can be reached at the shop number or Steve@MonsterClutches.com.
thanks i just sent an email. hopping the discount would be big enough to keep a monster clutch in my car. since i like the pedal feel and they are working great

Originally Posted by joyridin'
You can throw in any clutch disk for the most part that has the same diameter and spline. I wouldn't get too exotic though unless you know the materials the pp and flywheel are made from.

That being said, are you sure the pp is the same part number? If so, you are good to go, but usually when you run higher hp applications, they change the holding force on the pp to match the clutch material.
from their website it sounds like its the same pressure plate.
i was thinking spec stage 3 disk but ill wait to find out the price.

if the spec would work thats a cheap $225 upgrade. the downside however is i wont know for sure if the torque rating will be accurate since spec might use more clamping force over monster

Quick Reply: has anyone mismatch different brand disk and monster clutch?