Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pro 5.0 vs stock hurst with short stick

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 02:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Pro 5.0 vs stock hurst with short stick

Right now I'm running the stock hurst with a short stick but I'm considering going a different route. I've always liked the Lou's short stick look on the pro 5.0 and I'm honestly satisfied with the shift of my current set up I just want to make the car as fun as possible to drive since it's going to be my daily now. Those of you guys running the 5.0 and have had my set up was it worth the swap. I have a mgw in my trans am and I'm honestly not a fan of it. I don't feel like I have enough leverage with the mgw.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
Right now I'm running the stock hurst with a short stick but I'm considering going a different route. I've always liked the Lou's short stick look on the pro 5.0 and I'm honestly satisfied with the shift of my current set up I just want to make the car as fun as possible to drive since it's going to be my daily now. Those of you guys running the 5.0 and have had my set up was it worth the swap. I have a mgw in my trans am and I'm honestly not a fan of it. I don't feel like I have enough leverage with the mgw.
Tell ya what, I'll trade you my pro 5.0 with Lou's short stick.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:08 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Pro5.0 and I think it feels a bit notchy. I broke a mainshaft over the summer, had the tranny rebuilt with all of the better carbon synchro blocker rings, bronze shift fork pads, etc., and it still feels the exact same. I think it's the shifter. I'll probably try something new like the new Hinson shifter in the future.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look into the new hinson motorsports shifter its badass, I just switched from my pro 5.0 to it. here is an incar vid of it in my fbody.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check out our new short throw for the F-Body cars. We would love to earn your business and know you will enjoy the quick precise throws of the shifter. We offer the shifter to work with stock ***** as well as the leather wrapped Hurst ****, and then we offer our black and white logo shift *****.

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/s-553....aspx#Shifters (M6)

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
look into the new hinson motorsports shifter its badass, I just switched from my pro 5.0 to it. here is an incar vid of it in my fbody.

Fastest T56 Record Holder FBody with Hinson Motorsports Shifter in car - YouTube
Ray thanks for helping a fellow forum guy out with the recommendation. We can't wait for you to get some more passes on the new shifter. I can't watch this video enough. You sir are a machine.

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/s-553....aspx#Shifters (M6)
Old 11-10-2015, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hurst billet plus or MGW, my pro 5.0 was okay, wouldn't get another one.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

I went from a stock, NOT Hurst factory to a Pro 5.0 not even a week after taking delivery of the car new.

It was much better than the rubbery factory deal, but, IF I were going for a new shifter right now, it would ONLY be the Hinson work of art!
Old 11-11-2015, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've had the Pro 5.0 shifter since about 2005. I just recently put an UMI short stick on it. I love the feel of it. I don't race and my car is only a street car. I am not sure what is out there now as far as shifters as I had no need to read up after I got my Pro 5.0 and am happy with it. I'm sure there are better though after all of these years. But whatever shifter you get, I would get a shorter stick if you prefer a shorter ****. The Pro 5.0 only dropped about an inch from stock. Here's my Pro 5.0 with UMI stick.
Attached Thumbnails Pro 5.0 vs stock hurst with short stick-umiside.jpg  
Old 11-11-2015, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

I have a mgw in my trans am and I honestly hate it. I can't yank it like I can the stock hurst and the reason I looked into the 5.0 was because I liked the curve towards the driver with the lous stick. How does the leverage feel with the Hinson with the mgw I just don't feel like I can pull it like I should.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you are happy with the shifter you have, then just get an UMI stick. It has the same angle as the Pro 5.0 but is shorter. Here's a comparison pic I took when I changed the sticks.
Attached Thumbnails Pro 5.0 vs stock hurst with short stick-pro5.0umi.jpg  
Old 11-12-2015, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darth Cypher
If you are happy with the shifter you have, then just get an UMI stick. It has the same angle as the Pro 5.0 but is shorter. Here's a comparison pic I took when I changed the sticks.
I've got a ws6 store short stick all ready. I ordered a 5.0 today I'm going to heat my short stick and angle it like a Lou's.

Quick Reply: Pro 5.0 vs stock hurst with short stick