Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Quest to find the best clutch for my needs

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Quest to find the best clutch for my needs

Long ago I drove a stock factory LS1 clutch in a friends 2002 Z28 and it was the best feeling clutch I've ever driven in an F-body. My car had a an LS7 clutch installed before I bought it. I was pretty happy with the LS7 but was worried it would not hold up over time. I recently upgraded to the RST from McLeod. Great clutch but the engagement window is narrow. I had a Tick master installed at the time and the clutch was difficult to modulate (for me). I went to a factory master and the window improved but it still is small compared to what I'm looking for. I'm planning on pulling out the RST and swapping in something that feels more like a stock clutch.

What I'm really after is a clutch that feels like the stock Z28 clutch I drove years ago. A nice wide engagement window. A clutch that I can modulate and slip smoothly without chatter. A clutch that grabs a little bit near the floorboard and alot by the mid point in the pedal throw. A clutch that can handle 600rwhp.

Going back to the LS7 is possibility but even then, the LS7 is a little numb feeling. Not much feedback from the pedal. Other considerations are the LT1-S but I read that it too has a small engagement window. What about Textrilla & ACT? Does anybody have any experience with these?

I need some user reviews. I'm sure somebody has been down this road. What is the MOST stock feeling clutch that can handle 600rwhp? I need that wide engagment window.

Thanks!

Last edited by 98cherrySS; 02-14-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

ACT twin feels great and revs nicely. I never had good luck with Mcleod on my GTO; I blew through two street twins in several hi hundred miles.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT
ACT twin feels great and revs nicely. I never had good luck with Mcleod on my GTO; I blew through two street twins in several hi hundred miles.
I've read about the ACT twin. Seems most are happy with them. When you say "feels great", what feels great about it? Does it engage like a normal clutch or does it engage at the top of the throw? Any chatter?
Old 02-16-2016, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Any other user experiences?
Old 02-17-2016, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
Any other user experiences?
Used several of their products in multiple applications over the years.

I'm using the ACT GM9-HDSS now in my T/A T56. It required a .110 shim to create the desired endplay with the hawks master cylinder.

The pedal is very firm, and releases at the .750 mark or there close. It bites very hard either on or off, no in between.

There has not been any chatter to mention. Very nice clutches

Last edited by brobinson216; 02-17-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

i run the monster lt1-s clutch in my ls1 gto, along with a tick adj
master, and it is a fantastic, VERY quick shifting set up. engagement
window is ~5 inches total. good for 700/700. a bit
pricey, but really worth it.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by elephantrider
i run the monster lt1-s clutch in my ls1 gto, along with a tick adj
master, and it is a fantastic, VERY quick shifting set up. engagement
window is ~5 inches total. good for 700/700. a bit
pricey, but really worth it.
The LT1-S has been on my radar. On Monsters webpage they rate this clutch well but it scored a lower mark for noise at idle. Is this something you noticed? Does yours chatter at all?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

no noise at all. the only thing i get is a slight rattle when lugging it
around 1k rpm. other than that, it's silent as a mouse. odd that
clutch gets a lower mark for noise. there is no chatter whatsoever.
it's basically the c7 factory twin disc with a flywheel for your specific
application.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:33 AM
TECH Resident

Seems to be a very good option from a drivability standpoint. I read a review the other day claiming that it had a high release point. Did you have to shim? Also, what flywheel did you go with?
Old 02-18-2016, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

i went with the gto specific flywheel, with a modified f body slave.
my release point is WAY low, and only about 4" of total release
travel due to running an adjustable tick master, so your set up
will be different, if your running the factory master.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Modified F-body slave? Can you eloborate please? Do you get good grab when you release say 2" on the clutch pedal?

I run 3/4" tick MC btw so there should some similarties.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah, gto and f body use the same slave, just a different connection for
the fluid hose. you just swap that out. it's just a price difference thing.
yes, the grab is very quick, i'd say 2 - 3"...
Old 02-18-2016, 01:45 PM
TECH Resident

I'm about sold on the LT1-S. Thanks for all the input!
Old 02-18-2016, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Holy crap...this is not a compicated tthread. I have an 825 hp manual transmission 1999 Camaro running a Spec 3+ clutch/flywheel w stock slave cylinder and i have no issues. The other consideration is the Textralia which from other car guys in our Canadian forum is operating well with no weird/stupid shims/plates

If you have any questions please pm me.
Ryan
Old 02-22-2016, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

Any other options out there with large engagment windows that I'm not considering?
Old 02-23-2016, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've read about the ACT twin. Seems most are happy with them. When you say "feels great", what feels great about it? Does it engage like a normal clutch or does it engage at the top of the throw? Any chatter?
The act twin does everything well. It's got a smooth feel and is quiet. It also has a low MOI flywheel that helps with revs..

The fact that they are local and can be rebuilt or upgraded easily Seals the deal for me.

Engagement will depend on the mechanics and hydraulics you are using. I'd be careful using aftermarket hydraulics unless you understand the changes and the risks involved.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT
The act twin does everything well. It's got a smooth feel and is quiet. It also has a low MOI flywheel that helps with revs..

The fact that they are local and can be rebuilt or upgraded easily Seals the deal for me.

Engagement will depend on the mechanics and hydraulics you are using. I'd be careful using aftermarket hydraulics unless you understand the changes and the risks involved.
What hydraulics are you using with the act twin?
Old 02-24-2016, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What hydraulics are you using with the act twin?
I don't have an act twin installed at the moment. The majority of the guys running my master cylinder kit are using the ACT with great results. One was defective and ACT replaced it immediately a few years back.... The majority I know are running these in the GTO and Corvette platform with nothing but great feedback.

All the clutch/ hydraulic options available appear to be at your disposal on this forum through it's sponsors. Just make sure you know all the options and then choose the one you want and/or need.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long ago I drove a stock factory LS1 clutch in a friends 2002 Z28 and it was the best feeling clutch I've ever driven in an F-body. My car had a an LS7 clutch installed before I bought it. I was pretty happy with the LS7 but was worried it would not hold up over time. I recently upgraded to the RST from McLeod. Great clutch but the engagement window is narrow. I had a Tick master installed at the time and the clutch was difficult to modulate (for me). I went to a factory master and the window improved but it still is small compared to what I'm looking for. I'm planning on pulling out the RST and swapping in something that feels more like a stock clutch.

What I'm really after is a clutch that feels like the stock Z28 clutch I drove years ago. A nice wide engagement window. A clutch that I can modulate and slip smoothly without chatter. A clutch that grabs a little bit near the floorboard and alot by the mid point in the pedal throw. A clutch that can handle 600rwhp.

Going back to the LS7 is possibility but even then, the LS7 is a little numb feeling. Not much feedback from the pedal. Other considerations are the LT1-S but I read that it too has a small engagement window. What about Textrilla & ACT? Does anybody have any experience with these?

I need some user reviews. I'm sure somebody has been down this road. What is the MOST stock feeling clutch that can handle 600rwhp? I need that wide engagment window.

Thanks!
Sorry I didn't see this thread until now. The LT1-S is the best of both worlds. It drives like a stock clutch, but can hold 700RWHP/TQ, and it can take abuse.

As far as high engament goes, any multi-disc clutch will engage on the higher side, becasue you have to engage the entire stack.

If you have any other questions, give us a shout (817-750-2000) or email Jacob@monsterclutches.com.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any other options out there with large engagment windows that I'm not considering?
You could check out our DYAD setup if you haven't yet. It will hold 600ft/lb easy and drives like stock!

Quick Reply: Quest to find the best clutch for my needs