Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Why?^^^
Old 10-10-2016, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How to shift it fast? My C5 has a double disk clutch, drill mod throw out, B&M short throw shifter, Pennzoil Syncromesh fluid. It's super slo mo compared to that C6 video. How can I make it fast? Change fluid? Change shifter? Drive it like you stole it?
Old 10-11-2016, 08:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Likely his release bearing is very close to his pressure plate so it releases as soon as it hits instead of having to throw farther.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:30 AM
CARTEK Racing

I had over 350 passes on a stock T56 going as fast as 10.32 with 1.40 60's and not lifting when I shifted. Its just a matter of practice. Now, I am so out of practice I can't even wait for the shift light and end up short shifting and letting off the gas. I suck now.

This is when I used to know how to drive:
Old 10-11-2016, 11:07 AM
Teching In

I would be really happy if I could shift like that. I would be really happy if my car sounded like that. Camaro?? Great sound. I'm in a C5 so it has the trans in back and a long shift linkage. I do have a B&M short throw shifter, so it should be fast. Maybe I just need to hammer on it and see if anything falls apart. I am a road racer so I take it easy on the driveline. On a track day I usually get four or five 20 minute sessions of track time, so this is an endurance event, but slow shifting is not fun.

I'm also going to check to make sure the clutch is releasing all the way.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
I had over 350 passes on a stock T56 going as fast as 10.32 with 1.40 60's and not lifting when I shifted. Its just a matter of practice. Now, I am so out of practice I can't even wait for the shift light and end up short shifting and letting off the gas. I suck now.

This is when I used to know how to drive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XedpZ_BkG4w
bad muthafuckin *** - this your car yeah?
Old 10-11-2016, 03:30 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by Racecar2
I would be really happy if I could shift like that. I would be really happy if my car sounded like that. Camaro?? Great sound. I'm in a C5 so it has the trans in back and a long shift linkage. I do have a B&M short throw shifter, so it should be fast. Maybe I just need to hammer on it and see if anything falls apart. I am a road racer so I take it easy on the driveline. On a track day I usually get four or five 20 minute sessions of track time, so this is an endurance event, but slow shifting is not fun.

I'm also going to check to make sure the clutch is releasing all the way.
Only way to get better is to practice. Plenty of guys shifts Vetts just as fast or faster.

Originally Posted by chavez885
bad muthafuckin *** - this your car yeah?
Yes, sir.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second the comment above. Practice is the best way. Over here in the U.K. Automatics aren't the norm. Manuals are. I've been driving "stick" for 20 years and can shift like that C6 video in practically any manual car apart from the newer crappy BMW's with the clutch release delay valves. You get into the feel of it so it becomes second nature. Not sure on the speed shifting idea of keeping the gas pedal down - seems counter intuitive as you're going to be slipping the hell out the clutch every single shift.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Great input. I have been a road racer for years, so I tend to really baby the driveline so it will last 20 minutes sessions 4x a day, six or more track days a year. I am going to try some improvements. 1. Check the clutch to see if it is completely releasing at high RPM. It is a dual disk RAM, and I have drill mod. 2. I'm going to try a different shifter and ****. I have a B&M, it has always seemed really stiff, and takes high effort, way more than the stock long throw. 3. Try ATF in the trans, I have Syncromesh now. 4. Get more aggressive on the stick. It will either work better, or break something. I think most of the problem is the shifter. I'm going to try a stock one and different ***** and lever lengths to find the right combination. I don't need to speed shift with the gas pedal down, that's way too destructive for road race. Just need to be smooth and fast.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:46 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by TheNutDriver
I second the comment above. Practice is the best way. Over here in the U.K. Automatics aren't the norm. Manuals are. I've been driving "stick" for 20 years and can shift like that C6 video in practically any manual car apart from the newer crappy BMW's with the clutch release delay valves. You get into the feel of it so it becomes second nature. Not sure on the speed shifting idea of keeping the gas pedal down - seems counter intuitive as you're going to be slipping the hell out the clutch every single shift.
Slipping the clutch every shift?

On the launch I would come off the clutch quickly, not a sidestep, but not a slip. On the up shifts I would blip the clutch, usually not pushing it all the way down. Just enough to get it to release. Right food was down, pressing the throttle pedal into the carpet as hard as I could.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chavez885
bad muthafuckin *** - this your car yeah? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tzm2pk9-nY
That thing launches HARD, holy S. In car view is sick, nose bounces back up when he slams second. Good stuff. If this is the same guy who's running 10's on a stock t56 then perhaps my earlier comment stands corrected.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
Slipping the clutch every shift?

On the launch I would come off the clutch quickly, not a sidestep, but not a slip. On the up shifts I would blip the clutch, usually not pushing it all the way down. Just enough to get it to release. Right food was down, pressing the throttle pedal into the carpet as hard as I could.
Yes, slipping the clutch every shift if you don't let off the gas during a shift, regardless of how quick the shift takes place - obviously the engine speed will rise rapidly at the point the clutch is lifted and so the clutch must take out that high rpm when its dropped again...and so it slips a lot more than it would in a normal shift. That's what I meant.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

A STOCK clutch may slip. A lot of aftermarket ones, no way.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
A STOCK clutch may slip. A lot of aftermarket ones, no way.
I Think you may be missing the point of what I'm trying to say. Irrespective of whether the clutch is factory or aftermarket - it's purpose is to slip before full engagement so that drive can be engaged smoothly. Any clutch slips at a point between the friction plate being disconnected from the pressure plate and being fully connected to the pressure plate. So therefore, allowing the engine to rev freely during shifts will mean the friction plate has more work to do to engage drive again and therefore more rapid wear.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by TheNutDriver
I Think you may be missing the point of what I'm trying to say. Irrespective of whether the clutch is factory or aftermarket - it's purpose is to slip before full engagement so that drive can be engaged smoothly. Any clutch slips at a point between the friction plate being disconnected from the pressure plate and being fully connected to the pressure plate. So therefore, allowing the engine to rev freely during shifts will mean the friction plate has more work to do to engage drive again and therefore more rapid wear.

You are right, I did misunderstand. Yes, mechanically there will be a little slip within the clutch. You are right. I thought you meant slipping it with the clutch pedal.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:28 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
That thing launches HARD, holy S. In car view is sick, nose bounces back up when he slams second. Good stuff. If this is the same guy who's running 10's on a stock t56 then perhaps my earlier comment stands corrected.
The video from 2007 (re-posted in 2009) is a stock T56 with over 300 passes on it. That trans was taken out of the car, still working flawlessly. Since then, it has been swapped for a face-plated t56 built by Tick.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
if you want to shift fast. build an auto.

I couldn't have said it any better myself!

Quick Reply: School me on speed shifting