Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

McLeod Street Twin Stripped Splines and Messed up Input Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default McLeod Street Twin Stripped Splines and Messed up Input Shaft

Well this sucks. I put about 10K miles (18K total) on this clutch and it's done.....

The rear disc splines are completely gone and it messed up my T56 Input shaft.

Any guesses on what caused this other than it's a twin disc with smaller splined surface area? If that's the only reasonable cause, I'll probably have this set rebuilt and sell it.

Yes, installation was set up correctly. The gap was measured perfectly as the instructions showed.

I know this is some what common with Multi-Disc Clutches (I know this NOW, after I bought one, LOL). But it doesn't seem common enough to be a huge concern either. Really torn on whether to keep this one after rebuild or sell it and go back to a sprung hub single disc......

Last edited by hrcslam; 09-19-2016 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I've used multiplate clutches for years, and never seen one do that regardless of make !

Was the clutch brand new when you fitted it ? Presumably spline engagement when new was all good ?

Not that it should matter....but why does it say flywheel side, when it's the rear disc ?

Is it not more normal for the rear disc to indicate gearbox side ?
Old 09-18-2016, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Old 09-18-2016, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I've used multiplate clutches for years, and never seen one do that regardless of make !

Was the clutch brand new when you fitted it ? Presumably spline engagement when new was all good ?

Not that it should matter....but why does it say flywheel side, when it's the rear disc ?

Is it not more normal for the rear disc to indicate gearbox side ?
Both discs say flywheel side on one side, for their orientation at install. I've never seen this either, but after this happened to me, I googled it and it seems to be a bit common with multi-disc set ups. Not a hugely common problem, but a known one that is not unheard of.

Everything fit perfectly when installed and measured within spec, almost perfectly in the middle of the spec range. It was used when I got it, 8K miles. The only wear on it was a tiny bit on one of the discs, which showed only .005" of total wear on the organic friction material. And it was on the disc that didn't strip out. The input shaft looked completely unscathed (still looked new) and I replaced the pilot bushing when I did the swap. Installation went smooth too, no binding during install.

Here's the pics from when I bought it.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:32 PM
9 Second Club

It's a strange one...and one would imagine the only cause has been a faulty splined hub somehow, maybe the wrong metal used or not treated or something.

That's one for Holley for sure and something that should never happen
Old 09-19-2016, 12:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your willing to send the clutch back we can take care of the hub under warranty. If you want to get it rebuilt we can do that as well.

Please fill out a RGA form in the link supplied below.

https://www.mcleodracing.com/content/submit-return/

Kind Regards,
Old 09-20-2016, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I have seen this before with McLeod. Hub was weak and let go taking out the input shaft. McLeod makes a good product however I have always been suspect of the small contact areas between the hub and input shaft with this series. Sorry to see this happen again. I would ask McLeod to rebuild the entire clutch assy. for free including shipping as it appears to have been their product that failed costing you an input shaft.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

FWIW a few years ago there was a reply from McLeod (Billy M) on a thread about clutches and where the hubs are made for Mcleod (offshore vs US). Billys reply was they are US made.

Doesn't mean they won't/can't fail but at least they are not bottom $ offshore metal
Old 09-20-2016, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98cherrySS
I have seen this before with McLeod. Hub was weak and let go taking out the input shaft. McLeod makes a good product however I have always been suspect of the small contact areas between the hub and input shaft with this series. Sorry to see this happen again. I would ask McLeod to rebuild the entire clutch assy. for free including shipping as it appears to have been their product that failed costing you an input shaft.
Honestly, as long as I can get back on the road, I'll be happy. I did buy this kit used (although in excellent condition), so I'm o.k with them taking care of the hub. The clutch kit is still otherwise in fairly good condition. Even the Pilot Bearing still looks good. If I can get another 20-50K miles out of this kit, I'll be a very happy camper and have it rebuilt and keep using it.

Originally Posted by ******
FWIW a few years ago there was a reply from McLeod (Billy M) on a thread about clutches and where the hubs are made for Mcleod (offshore vs US). Billys reply was they are US made.

Doesn't mean they won't/can't fail but at least they are not bottom $ offshore metal

Yeah, I saw that. My other disc is still in perfect condition. Which is surprising really as it was taking all of the load once the rear disc splines were toasted. Even the splines where the front disc sits are still great. Manufacturing defects happen, it sucks that it happened to me. And it results in me having to replace my input shaft. Fortunately I'll be able to take care of the input shaft relatively cheaply.

It's times like these I'm happy I don't take my car to a mechanic. I'd only imagine what this would cost to a non-mechanic. At Least I know what I'd be charging to fix this with and without a warranty and it wouldn't be cheap.

Last edited by hrcslam; 09-20-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Billy M, Thanks for the awesome customer service. I got the repaired disk back and it look fantastic! It looks much beefier than the original front one.

Unfortunately the input shaft that I ordered was never shipped and I've been dealing with that company trying to get a refund. I did order another input shaft from another company and it finally came in. I did a test fit of both disks on the replacement input shaft. The new disk you guys fixed fits great. The old original front disk does not. It wobbles on the shaft like there's a ton of play at the spline contact area. About a 1/2" of wobble at the edge of the disk. I didn't notice this previously on the original input shaft because I was comparing it to the stripped out spline rear disk.

Is the front disk also repairable under warranty? Can you guys to expedited service? How much for expedited service? I can ship the disk off to you guys today. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2016, 01:47 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Hey Billy M, Thanks for the awesome customer service. I got the repaired disk back and it look fantastic! It looks much beefier than the original front one.

Unfortunately the input shaft that I ordered was never shipped and I've been dealing with that company trying to get a refund. I did order another input shaft from another company and it finally came in. I did a test fit of both disks on the replacement input shaft. The new disk you guys fixed fits great. The old original front disk does not. It wobbles on the shaft like there's a ton of play at the spline contact area. About a 1/2" of wobble at the edge of the disk. I didn't notice this previously on the original input shaft because I was comparing it to the stripped out spline rear disk.

Is the front disk also repairable under warranty? Can you guys to expedited service? How much for expedited service? I can ship the disk off to you guys today. Thanks!
Absolutely we can do whatever you need.
Give us a call (714) 630-2764 Monday Through Friday 7:00am to 4:00pm Pacific Time and we’ll be happy to discuss your options with you.

Kind Regards,
Old 10-10-2016, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great customer service.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Billy M
Absolutely we can do whatever you need.
Give us a call (714) 630-2764 Monday Through Friday 7:00am to 4:00pm Pacific Time and we’ll be happy to discuss your options with you.

Kind Regards,
With how awesome your customer service is, I'm a McLeod customer for life!

I got the disc shipped out. You guys should have it tomorrow. There's also a return label printed in the box for FedEx overnight shipping. Along with all the paperwork you guys had me fill out. Thanks again!
Old 10-10-2016, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan
Great customer service.
For sure! I'm thoroughly impressed.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:06 PM
FormerVendor

Thank You guys for all your support!
Old 10-12-2016, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to use a SPEC clutch in my road race car, seeing this thread makes me want to go McLeod.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:05 PM
9 Second Club

It is good service...

BUT....it's something that should never have happened in the first place. And it has then damaged the input shaft on the gearbox which needs replaced.

And why were both discs not returned for replacements or repair ?

It is always good ( and expected ) that faults are rectified...but it's much better when they never occur in the first place.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mistakes in manufacturing can always happen with any company. It takes a stand up company like mcleod to correct the situation in a timely manner with no headaches. Billy and the guys at mcleod are stand up guys!
Old 10-12-2016, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know who I will buying my clutch from seeing this awesome customer service
Old 10-12-2016, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Got the second disc back tonight! Thanks again Billy M for the fast and excellent service. I should have everything back in this weekend.

Quick Reply: McLeod Street Twin Stripped Splines and Messed up Input Shaft