Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Issues with Dealer work

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
If DEX VI was used, I'd doubt that would do anything with the paper lined blocker rings used on the 1998-2000 M6 F bodies. DEX VI has much lighter viscosity than DEX III (6 vs. 7 as I recall). So for extended use, DEX VI is probably not suitable for friction and stress lubrication on the gears. Should be ok for blocker rings though. It's the GL4/5 fluids frequently used in rear differentials and built transmissions that sometimes find their way into our cars and cause problems. Dailydriver frequently mentioned how the use of Royal Purple immediately caused his shifting to have problems. He immediately replaced it....problem solved. There are many manual trans fluids out there other than ATF DEX III that will work fine in our T56's. But Tremec will usually not recommend them. Pennzoil Synchromesh is one of them. I have a paper blocker ring T56 that's all stock and only DEX III will ever go into it as long as I own it. Not worth the risk to glaze over those synchronizer rings with a GL4/5 fluid. But, I would say that 90% of the owners that go from ATF to a manual trans fluid don't have any issues whether it's RP, Amsoil, Synchromeshes, etc.

The changing of man trans fluid is something the owner and dealership should never take lightly as the specs and requirements are all over the map. ATF DEX 6 should have similar friction modifier chemistry to ATF DEX 3, and that's what plays a role with the synchronizers. Some of the GL4/5 fluids will effectively fill the voids in the paper blockers so that they lose their "grip." On the other hand, ATF's are somewhat inadequate for lubricating the gears over the life of the vehicle (ie leads to greater wear and friction).
Yeah third gear had some teeth broken off of it as well as glazed blocker rings.

It is very similar to dex III and would be a suitable replacement, if it didn't say directly on the back of the bottle that it wasn't a replacement in manual transmissions, transfer cases, and power steering systems.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:37 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by nwilson44
she literally recited the dealership's representative on the fact that "the vehicle is modified".
I still think your strongest argument is:

Regardless of if the vehicle is stock or not, the dealer failed to follow their own procedures to follow the instructions on the materials they use and to follow GM's stock/standard maintenance procedures.

Stock or not, ^ this is where they failed. Stock or not, ^ this would have caused your car problems. (Getting those actual TSB's that show more negligence will also be killer.)

If you continue the argument with the dealer, GM, or in courts, getting in to the technical stuff about fluids and the physical repair - the easier it is for them to pull out this "modified" wild card and use it against you. (You need solid ground to fight for a 100% victory. All they need to do is create doubt and confusion.)
Old 08-22-2016, 07:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I have no idea why this isn't a clear cut issue. I hate how they've attempted to muddy clear water here.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It amazes me how the dealer is supposed to be the most qualified, factory trained techs for your GM vehicle & should know what fluids your vehicle takes! Sounds like the OP has no clue "what fluid" they put in his trans, cuz he hasn't said! It would be nice to know the "incorrect fluid" that was put in the trans. If it waz Dex6 that wouldnt cause any issues. I know they say Dex6 not recommended cuz the synthetic fluid affects the paper material in the synchros but I highly doubt Dex6 would hurt a T56. Biggest problem the dealers have is the flat rate system. It causes techs to hurry too much & pressure from the dealer to meet performance goals, selling flushes, mainenance(max profit). They like to hire young guys & some of them don't have a clue! That's a shame cuz you take your car to the dealer it's TOP DOLLA & I'd expect the best most qualified tech to be working on my car & you get a young inexperienced kid working on your ride lol!

It seems very difficult to put the wrong fluid in at the dealer, they should have to fix it! Just fixed a buddies a/c on his Tahoe after several attempts by the dealer to charge, add leak detection dye & find the leak. They kept telling him "we can't find the leak!" For 2 yrs & kept charging the a/c for free! So I looked at it & found the leak in 20 seconds. It was the condenser, real easy to find!

I've been a dealer tech for all the big 3, currently not at a dealer. I just see a lot of laziness from dealer techs!

I like how in the beginning they had "no problem" doing some standard service work but now all of a sudden they say "no more service work cuz it's modified"! They didn't notice that the 1st time they worked on it?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nwilson44
I agree. I have no idea why this isn't a clear cut issue. I hate how they've attempted to muddy clear water here.
Cuz this is what some dealers do. Instead of man up & fix their fuckup they'll try to deny any fault or accept responsibility.

Quick Reply: Issues with Dealer work