Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What's the deal with 3rd gear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What's the deal with 3rd gear?

Sup guys, I may have a problem here. Every now and then, mostly when downshifting from 4th to 3rd, the tranny will kick itself out of third. Other times it will a little "non-smooth" going into third. By non-smooth I mean, not as smooth as it is going into other gears. It feels like it has notches I have to move through to get into third gear, besides the gates of course. I have no clue as to what the deal is, but if anyone could give me some insight it'd be much appreciated. Thanks is advance.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same problem, and let me tell you it is your syncro assy. If you cant get it fixed very soon, it will get worse and worse as time goes on. While you do drive on it, make sure you are very precise with your shifts, and try not to rush the 2-3 shift because if you keep grinding it you will loose the gear altogether. You will end up needing the actual gear also then and not just the syncro. Talk to bugsquasher on this board, he seems like he knows his t56's pretty well.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What kind of shifter you got in that car? I know if you got the Hurst, its trouble. Both me and my buddy with the stock hurst had bent shift forks we didn't know about. That in turn messed up a lot of the syncros.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:56 AM
TECH Resident

The 2-3 shift fork may be bent also. The OEM F-body one is aluminum and can be easily bent causing the trans to jump out of gear or grinds. You can upgrade the aluminum one with a steel version.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its probably a bent 3-4 shift fork not allowing it to go into 3rd all the way. BTW, the stock Hurst is not at fault. Regardless of shifter, if you slam it into gear, you will bend it...its aluminum.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Graham
Sup guys, I may have a problem here. Every now and then, mostly when downshifting from 4th to 3rd, the tranny will kick itself out of third. Other times it will a little "non-smooth" going into third. By non-smooth I mean, not as smooth as it is going into other gears. It feels like it has notches I have to move through to get into third gear, besides the gates of course. I have no clue as to what the deal is, but if anyone could give me some insight it'd be much appreciated. Thanks is advance.
Mine does the exact same thing that you described man. Just gotta be more careful when going to 3rd until you can get it fixed.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Teching In

It's not a Hurst, btw. Thanks guys, I'll have someone look at it before long and see what's up and get it fixed.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you know its not the hurst. The hurst does not have any bump stops like other shifters (like the pro 5.0 or B&M) and causes it to be hyperextended. If you can only throw it so far and then your stopped you can't do that and thus it wouldn't be bent.

Maybe i'm totally wrong, please back it up if i am, i would like to know myself.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:45 PM
NKAWTG...N

does anyone know if the shift fork is covered underwarrenty? Also if you still drive with the bent shift fork and only rarely put it into the 3rd...do alot of 1,2,4 driving do i still chance ruining something more? I'm trying to get my car in for warrenty work and i just want to know what to expect.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

umm i think you are wrong from what i have heard...i believe the t-56 has built in stops...but then again i could be wrong and don't know much about the tranny myself...just info from what i have read
Old 06-21-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

777, i have heard that too but it doesn't make sense. I'm going off the logic that with the hurst my buddy had trans problems and still do. My buddy however got the pro 5.0 and has had no more problems. So i'm going to warrenty my trans and the day i get it back i will also trhow a pro 5.0 in.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

afaik the t-56 has stops of some sort, just weak ones. the 5.0 prevents you from even getting to those. thats why i have a pro 5.0 shifter in the mail on its way right now. my tranny pops out of third in the exact same fashion you are all describing. as soon as i get my beater(1980 datsun 280z 5spd) back up and running i plan on tearing my t-56 apart and rebuilding her with strenghtened parts. i figure the best way to learn is to jump into the **** knee deep and wade through it.

EDIT: there is also a member on this board that will rebuild your tranny for you if you buy the parts and deliver the dropped tranny and parts to him. i believe he is in texas, near austin. i don't know his handle....can someone fill in the blank for me?
Old 06-21-2004, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Pro 5.0 have some problems of its own? I was thinking of going with the B&M Ripper myself.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW, I have the stock Hurst and have 55k on my stock trans. Still shifts great. Occasionally pops out of 3rd if I dont put it in all the way.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

[/QUOTE]EDIT: there is also a member on this board that will rebuild your tranny for you if you buy the parts and deliver the dropped tranny and parts to him. i believe he is in texas, near austin. i don't know his handle....can someone fill in the blank for me?[/QUOTE]

His handle is bugsquasher, and he is here in the central tx area. It is either Austin or San Antonio. He will be doing mine as soon as I can get the parts. Also for those who are interested, you can get your parts for the T56 online at www.thegearbox.org

Chris
Old 06-22-2004, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
FWIW, I have the stock Hurst and have 55k on my stock trans. Still shifts great. Occasionally pops out of 3rd if I dont put it in all the way.
Right! I'm not saying it happens to ALL, but i see it a lot.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 777
umm i think you are wrong from what i have heard...i believe the t-56 has built in stops...but then again i could be wrong and don't know much about the tranny myself...just info from what i have read
Well, when its "in gear" the sync hub is almost against whatever gear your in, so that kinof a stop. The lil deal on top of the trans (its a spring loaded ball riding over a pattern,,,, thats where the Click noise come from when you shake the shifter in neutral) kinda does that too
Old 12-09-2005, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stops on aftermarket shifters are just a marketing ploy - they make it sound like you need the "security " of not over shifting the box. The fact is the fork really does not bend. It wallows out ( compresses the aluminum) the hole that attaches to the shift rail. If you looked at one of these forks you would understand that there is no man born that can bend those tines.The result of the wallowing is a loose fit and under shifting( and causing gear jump out). This has nothing to do with the shifter - only the shift load. Which explains why some never get the problem - they do not gorilla shift their car.
The T56 has a guideplate that limits shift rail travel which is why the stops ate truely useless. The fact that many are mis adjusted even makes them a cause of problems. Stops:The don't help/ they can hurt = leave them out/ dont buy a shifter because of them.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

calhoon is the man.

The reason they market those shifters with a stop is because people who have never fixed a manual trans imagine 5 or 6 straight cut gears with a collar sliding across those gears to make the change but that isnt at all how it happens.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
EDIT: there is also a member on this board that will rebuild your tranny for you if you buy the parts and deliver the dropped tranny and parts to him. i believe he is in texas, near austin. i don't know his handle....can someone fill in the blank for me?
You might be talking about Ls1Joe... Rebuilds and beefs them up... He's a sponsor on here...

Quick Reply: What's the deal with 3rd gear?