Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Faster et's with new clutch/flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Faster et's with new clutch/flywheel

Many manufacturers state that with their new set-up of a new clutch/flywheel you will have better 1/4 mile times. So lets say you took my car 2001 M6 Trans Am and went to the track with the stock clutch and flywheel and then with the new setup broken in, same weather conditions and track conditions would you post better times? Has anyone gone to the track before and after with just a clutch install and no other changes in your current set up and seen better times? Just curious...i need a new clutch and flywheel and was going to get a RAM set up but just wanted to know if my car would be quicker b/c of a new set up
Old 06-24-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I know with a new clutch my car would be faster for sure... not sure about yours because every application is different. The reason mine would be faster than it is now is that right now, the most I can launch at is like 3k or 3.5k rpms on the stock clutch. Any higher than that, and it burns. With a grabbier clutch, I could do 5k or 6k clutch dumps on slicks and not have to worry about the clutch burning up... which means faster 60' times and of course faster ETs.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

gotcha...my car is basically a stock 01 m6 with lid, ported tb, free mods, and getting a catback. I'm due for a new clutch, my throwout bearing is gone and i'm doing new everything, clutch, flywheel, bearing, etc. Just cuirious to see if my car will be any quicker
Old 06-25-2004, 03:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're due for a new clutch, then I say definitely you'll be at least a little faster... there won't be anymore slipping, lagging, etc from the stock clutch, especially if it's already on the way out.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

But keep in mind - more grab at the lauch increases your chances of breaking something. A grabby clutch is hard on the rear end and driveshaft. If you don't have a 12-bolt, and you don't have a stout driveshaft, be very very careful about how you launch.

(seen just a few stock 10-bolts go ka-ping! rattle rattle rattle at the track...)
Old 06-25-2004, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

i have to worry about my rear-end and driveshaft b/c of a upgraded clutch? My car doesn't have any major power adders, just worried. I don't wanna have to keep pouring money into the car. Stock clutch was junk but to get something a lil bit better i don't wanna have to worry about the next thing going wrong
Old 06-25-2004, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a Spec II on a basically stock car (catback only) and I made a lot of passes like that. I wasn't easy on the car either. I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

But I should be able to answer your question tonight - I ran a 12.9 with my old clutch and I just upgraded to a Spec III - we'll see if my times change! I hope so!
Old 06-25-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are two possible ways a clutch will reduce ET's:

Higher launch RPM.

And quicker shifting if the clutch discs have less inertia.

I can already launch at 5500+ on the stock clutch (the latest GM LS6 clutch is actually pretty good) but sometimes have a hard time getting it into 4th quickly. We are going to experiment with a lighter clutch.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mc01ta
i have to worry about my rear-end and driveshaft b/c of a upgraded clutch? My car doesn't have any major power adders, just worried. I don't wanna have to keep pouring money into the car. Stock clutch was junk but to get something a lil bit better i don't wanna have to worry about the next thing going wrong
We had over 500 passes on the stock 10-bolt/driveshaft on ET Streets launched at 4500 (the most the "improved" LS1 clutch can handle IMO) in a 3660lb Camaro. If you don't drop the clutch violently, you shouldn't worry.

Quick Reply: Faster et's with new clutch/flywheel