Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick Master Failed at the Worst Possible Time [UPDATE]

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Tick Master Failed at the Worst Possible Time [UPDATE]

So I purchased a Tick Master Cylinder back in 2013. Since then I loved it! I could easily shift at high rpm's and was satisfied with my purchase. However starting at the beginning of this year there was a squeaking noise coming from the master cylinder pedal area when I would depress the clutch. I just thought some of the linkages needed some WD-40 or something and didn't think much of it. Last week I took my bird on a 3000 mile road trip (Seattle to Vegas to Los Angeles back to Seattle) On the way from Las Vegas to Los Angeles My clutch started loosing pressure and would not return. I managed to pull off the highway only to find out that the reservoir for the clutch master was empty. Luckily I packed extra fluid and after I filled up and pumped a few times I had my clutch back. I made it to Los Angeles when the same thing happened. No clutch pedal. After I reached the hotel I looked down at the master cylinder to find a big puddle of brake fluid sitting under the cylinder. Crap.

At 0:41 you can see a good view of the leak:

After looking online I found this post:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...l#post13068940

That was where the leaking was coming from. I managed to get a wrench in there but as soon as I applied just a little pressure the whole line sheared. So there I was 1000 miles from home with no clutch. I basically spent the 4th of July calling local auto parts stores to try and find a clutch master + hydraulic line then installing them in the hotel parking lot with limited tools. Not fun. Luckily I managed to find an OEM master and was barely able to get 1st gear (Not able to engage reverse) and somehow managed to drive up to Seattle.

I am awaiting a response from Tick but it is safe to say I'm not very happy with them at the moment...

Last edited by M4N14C; 07-28-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

**** that is scary...
I can't tell, so it was leaking from the white reservoir or the end of the master itself?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Maybe that fitting that broke got a stress crack in it. Either a part defect or over tightened when it was installed and after years it just shiat itself

Kudos to the road warrior parking lot repair to get home
Old 07-07-2017, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
**** that is scary...
I can't tell, so it was leaking from the white reservoir or the end of the master itself?
From the end of the hydraulic line that connects to the master (blue fitting).

Originally Posted by ******
Maybe that fitting that broke got a stress crack in it. Either a part defect or over tightened when it was installed and after years it just shiat itself

Kudos to the road warrior parking lot repair to get home
I'm almost sure it was a stress crack since it sheared so easily when I tried to tighten it.

Last edited by M4N14C; 07-07-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Easy out and replace fitting. Maybe use steel this time?
Old 07-28-2017, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, I just lost almost all my support for Tick Performance...

They told me to send it in before I got my replacement. Fair enough. Week and a half later I get the "replacement". Open it up and lo and behold its the exact same one I sent them with just the hydraulic line replaced. Not only that but it didn't even come with the mounting screws (I included those when I shipped it out). After a trip to Home Depot I spent 2 hours jamming that thing back in. Had a friend start pumping the pedal as I bled the system and we never got full pedal pressure. I look down and guess what I see:

Yup leaking in the EXACT same spot as before. We're back at square one almost a month later. Let's tally things up now shall we:

- I had to pay for an extra night at the hotel TO REMOVE THE TICK MC AND INSTALL A CHEAP AUTOZONE REPLACEMENT - $150
- I had to pay for the tools that I didn't have while wrenching in the hotel parking lot - $100
- I had to pay for the Autozone replacement MC - $80
- I had to pay for the Autozone replacement MC Line - $130
- I had to pay for shipping my Leaky Tick MC back to them - $20

So that's at LEAST $470 and I'm right back where I started. Not to mention the man hours it took removing and reinstalling the MC I don't even know how many times now.

I'm livid right now...

Last edited by M4N14C; 07-28-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:39 AM
TECH Veteran

McLeod uses the Wilwood "Compact" MC. I have had zero issues with mine....or the line fitting

http://www.jegs.com/i/McLeod/673/139301/10002/-1
Old 07-29-2017, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm just wondering how in the hell you were able to take that video so easily!! You must have great dexterity.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.anplumbing.com/

Check out a place like this that carries the main brands of fittings and get a steel adapter. That's all it is, an ORB or NPT to AN adapter. I figured posting the link would be ok since there's no sponsor like this.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subd.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ******
McLeod uses the Wilwood "Compact" MC. I have had zero issues with mine....or the line fitting

http://www.jegs.com/i/McLeod/673/139301/10002/-1
What clutch do you have?

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
https://www.anplumbing.com/

Check out a place like this that carries the main brands of fittings and get a steel adapter. That's all it is, an ORB or NPT to AN adapter. I figured posting the link would be ok since there's no sponsor like this.
Well my Tick squeaks like crazy when I push it, which makes me think the seals inside may be messed up also.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just an fyi the AutoZone brand is the same as oem. I have several from my six speed swap, including the oem GM one and all have the same stamping and part numbers

I'm impressed they could find you the hydraulic line though, was it for your car or just another GM vehicle
Old 07-29-2017, 11:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Let me fix this for you, because you're obviously misinformed

Originally Posted by M4N14C
- I chose to pay for an extra night at the hotel TO REMOVE THE TICK MC AND INSTALL A CHEAP AUTOZONE REPLACEMENT - $150
- I chose to pay for the tools that I didn't have while wrenching in the hotel parking lot - $100
- I chose to pay for the Autozone replacement MC - $80
- I chose to pay for the Autozone replacement MC Line - $130
- I chose to pay for shipping my Leaky Tick MC back to them, but given that it was four years old, I"m lucky they did anything for me at all - $20

So that's at LEAST $470 I spend because I chose to, and I'm right back where I started because I didn't choose to bench test anything. Not to mention the man hours it took removing and reinstalling the MC I don't even know how many times now.

I'm livid right now... but eventually I'll see the bigger picture and wisen up
Instead of wasting all that time, why didnt you just drill/tap the hole for a -4 fitting and be done with it.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

none of the fittings on the pressure side of hydraulic clutch or brake system should be aluminum, unless you want to fight cracked and broken fittings. At least that's been my experience.. YMMV, I've always used Wilwood master cylinders and never had one crap out on me..
Old 07-30-2017, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sub'd.... interesting to see what happened? I'm also thinking of the Tick master but holding off till I can get a clutch too.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Instead of wasting all that time, why didnt you just drill/tap the hole for a -4 fitting and be done with it.
Hmm, maybe because:

A) I was 1,100 miles from my garage and had NO tools
B) Why would I try and modify my Tick MC and risk voiding my warranty?
C) Risk getting metal shavings in my hydraulic system... no thanks

Originally Posted by WBO_COTTO
Sub'd.... interesting to see what happened? I'm also thinking of the Tick master but holding off till I can get a clutch too.
Tried to tighten the fittings like I did last time. This time instead of shearing I managed to get half a turn on them and leaking seemed to stop.

No response yet from Tick.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

What clutch do you have?.
I have the McLeod Street Twin. It came with a 13/16" MC (Wilwood). I have a LT1.

McLeod has MC for LS cars also
Old 08-01-2017, 07:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm almost sure it was a stress crack since it sheared so easily when I tried to tighten it.
It doesn't look like there was a clean break. Looking at the pictures, it appears that there was an inclusion (defect in the metal) in the nipple that connected the M/C to the hydraulic line. That will cause a crack/break every time as the part is subjected to vibration.

Jet engine parts and even our aluminum engine blocks are x-rayed to make sure they don't have these types of defects, but small car parts and accessories aren't.

Very frustrating that it appears that the unit was not bench/leak tested before it was returned to you.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Hmm, maybe because:

A) I was 1,100 miles from my garage and had NO tools
B) Why would I try and modify my Tick MC and risk voiding my warranty?
C) Risk getting metal shavings in my hydraulic system... no thanks

Tried to tighten the fittings like I did last time. This time instead of shearing I managed to get half a turn on them and leaking seemed to stop.

No response yet from Tick.

You got out of it exactly what your litany of CHOICES bequeathed you. No one at Tick made you do anything. The nature of the failure is of fatigue. Install an identical one the same way and it will fail again. Lol @ scared to modify a simple cast piston housing so it can't fail, but will spend $500+ and waste time to return the original part after it failed from fatigue over time.

Makes sense.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
Very frustrating that it appears that the unit was not bench/leak tested before it was returned to you.
That's my issue. The unit itself is a million times better than what came with the car, don't get me wrong. I don't usually call out sponsors, but when their product fails after only four years of use and the customer service is sloppy, I can get ticked off (see what I did there)

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Lol @ scared to modify a simple cast piston housing so it can't fail
Lol, alright David Freiburger

Here's the response from Tick:

Chris,

I sincerely apologize that our guys left out the mounting screws. They cylinder itself was replaced as well as the blue AN fitting with new units and the remaining parts you sent including your hose were returned. All of the Tilton cylinders are sent through QC at Tilton before we receive them. While we do try to get every fitting tight before leaving the facility we do not have the man power or equipment to test each individual kit and keep kits flowing out the door in a timely manner.

I know this doesn't take away the frustration from the failure of the original cylinder but I have set you up with a free Team Tick account under this email and your password is *******. If I can help you with anything in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you,

Quick Reply: Tick Master Failed at the Worst Possible Time [UPDATE]