Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

McLeod RXT Street Twin install question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McLeod RXT Street Twin install question

I have just started installing one of these clutches on my LS3 with their billet aluminum flywheel.

In the instructions it tells you to fit the flywheel, then the bottom plate, then the floater which i have done. It then says there should be no drag on the bottom disk when you have put in the alignment tool.

With the alignment tool in, if i spin the disk, it spins but does rub a bit.

Is this normal or should it not be touching at all?
Old 08-17-2017, 06:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

email or call Tech @ McLeod. They always responded to any Q's I had on my Twin install

IDK about the RST/RXT twin but my "Street Twin" came assembled with "x" amount of shims on the floater stands. I was told to have .022 gap once floater was bolted on between it and bottom disc. Again this is for their Street Twin (LT1) so IDK if the instructions for the RXT don't have a specific clearance measurement vs "no drag"

where there any shims on each stand when you took the clutch apart to install it?

Contact McLeod or maybe someone else who has installed a RXT can post
Old 08-18-2017, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I've already dropped them an email.

Yeah it has the shims on the posts already
Old 08-19-2017, 03:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Old 08-19-2017, 04:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AlexLSx7
With the alignment tool in, if i spin the disk, it spins but does rub a bit.

Is this normal or should it not be touching at all?
"rub" should be OK....as long as you can spin the disc easily.

Yeah it has the shims on the posts already
McLeod sets up stack height at the factory which is why the kit comes "assembled". If you installed it maintaining the specific shims on each stand it is good.

Maybe McLeod can advise if there should be .0xx-.0xx measurement range between bottom disc and floater so you could just confirm with a feeler gauge.

When I measured my street twin on install, it was spot on using the shims McLeod set up on the floater stands
Old 08-19-2017, 04:16 PM
9 Second Club

I wouldnt want any rubbing at all...but best to measure....and best if you can test as per the video to ensure clearance on both discs, not just one.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I wouldnt want any rubbing at all...but best to measure....and best if you can test as per the video to ensure clearance on both discs, not just one.
1:54 in that video you posted is exactly how mine sounds, if anything mine was a bit more free.

So I should be good to go then, I guess?
Old 08-20-2017, 12:48 PM
9 Second Club

Testing a clutch flat on the deck though...there will always feel some friction, simply from the weight of the disc sitting on the surface so not always a great test on its own.

Hence measure clearances.

If you look at the video at that same time period, look at the size of the gap above each disc and between it and the metal surface it will pair with. They gap is easily visible, so a fair amount.
The lower gap does look smaller than that of the one closest to the cover though.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:17 PM
TECH Veteran

a simple google on "McLeod RXT install instructions" and first link had the instructions

https://www.mcleodracing.com/content...street-clutch/

scroll down and you will read...

"After installing bottom disc and floater plate, use a feeler gauge to check the clearance between them. .020-.025 should just slip in between"

This is what it says for my Street Twin also...pic below is my measurement .022

In the 2nd pic you can see the thin shims sitting on the primary floater spacer underneath the floater plate

Soooo, follow the instructions and measure.

The clutch should have come with the assortment of shims already installed to achieve this measurement...just double check to confirm

also note this measurement is done with FW, bottom disc & floater plate installed (vertical) not laying flat
Attached Thumbnails McLeod RXT Street Twin install question-mcleod-mic-measure-shim-stack.jpg   McLeod RXT Street Twin install question-mcleod-shim-stack.jpg  
Old 08-20-2017, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Guys

I​​​​​​I did see those instructions. they were not the same as the ones that came with my clutch so wasn't sure if they were relevant.

I have been waiting for a torque wrench that I bought before going any further with the clutch which turned up today so will have a look at the clearances tomorrow.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ******
a simple google on "McLeod RXT install instructions" and first link had the instructions

https://www.mcleodracing.com/content...street-clutch/

scroll down and you will read...

"After installing bottom disc and floater plate, use a feeler gauge to check the clearance between them. .020-.025 should just slip in between"

This is what it says for my Street Twin also...pic below is my measurement .022

In the 2nd pic you can see the thin shims sitting on the primary floater spacer underneath the floater plate

Soooo, follow the instructions and measure.

The clutch should have come with the assortment of shims already installed to achieve this measurement...just double check to confirm

also note this measurement is done with FW, bottom disc & floater plate installed (vertical) not laying flat
Was the measurement with the feeler gauge between the plate and the friction material or the plate and the gap between?
Old 08-21-2017, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

between friction material of bottom disc and floater plate
Old 08-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

I have well below .20
Old 08-21-2017, 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran

I have well below .20
.200 or .020??

...I got a set of shims from McLeod. Contact Tech @ McLeod

The machine shop I sent my assembly to too confirm "neutral" balance and in the process lost a few shims so I was able to get a replacement set. They basically were .005, .010 and .020 shims x 6 IIRC.

sounds like you need to add .005 to each stand..... .200 gap would be huge...you sure its not .020?

did you contact McLeod about your measurement?
The unit should have been shipped with the correct amount of shims unless you misplaced some on install

these shims are VERY thin and I found a few stuck inside the recess of the floater stand on the FW so just make sure you have the same amount/thickness of shims on each stand stud. Measure a few areas like 12, 3, 6 & 9 o'clock positions to confirm same

Measuring is just double checking what should be right on a clutch kit but in the process of installing it sometimes you can FU by not confirming each stand has the same amount of shims.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry, yeah its less than 0.20.

Billy from McLeod got back to me after chasing them again by e-mail.

He said -

"The short answer is as long as the disc can be turned with the pilot tool 180 degrees and then pull the tool out and the discs drops, it has the proper clearance.

If when you pull the tool out the disc stays frozen captured in the center of the floater then its to tight."

So I started putting it back together torquing it to 25ft lbs, get to the 3rd one and on the second turn the damn stud snaps.

To say i am pissed off is an understatement. I cant believe a clutch that is meant to handle 1000+ hp cant handle a couple of turns that weren't even near 25ft lbs! I checked the other two studs 3 times each after to make sure they were definitely 25ft lbs and they were so hell knows why it was brittle.

I now need to pull the broken stud and replace it as advised by Billy. As i am in the UK i am going to really struggle finding a replacement as its imperial sizes.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

I believe the stands are not standard "bolts" meaning you can't just buy a "bolt" to replace it so finding one over there is likely impossible.

I understand being in Sweden makes all this more difficult. Maybe a local machine shop could tap the FW for a metric pitch stud and you use a metric nut on that that is the same size (thickness) as the SAE stud in the FW now

don't you use the stock LS flywheel on the RXT? if so that stud should be a GM part #

You used a "ft. Lbs." Torque wrench, not metric right?...or at least were reading Ft Lbs not Newton...still Newton would be 33= 22 "ft lbs" so even if you had wrench set at 22 Newton....that is less than 22 ft lbs.

25 ft lbs is not much so weird stand stud broke

I found the printed instructions that came with the kit did conflict some with what was online on their site

Billy's description about spinning the disc and if it falls some when you remove alignment tool...well not a precise measurement but if that is what your disc did (and it should have if all the shims were in correctly) than that is good

I know you are having more problems than one would want on a clutch install but once all is in I have been very happy with my McLeod Twin
Old 08-21-2017, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

I'm in England, not Sweden . Still a pain though as we are metric over here!

I did think about tapping it to metric but was worried it would maybe knock it all out of alignment.

I bought the clutch that came with the steel flywheel (thought it was the Ali one but just checked and it's not)

I have the size of the stud from Billy just can't find it over here.

Yeah it did exactly what he said so hopefully it will be ok if I can get the stud somehow!!
Old 08-21-2017, 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

McLeod should be able to send you one

We have metric over here also....if you have a good fastener provider over there maybe you can get one from them

still FedEx or something should be able to get you one from McLeod pretty quick. Your clutch is new...McLeod should send one under warranty.

Surprised Billy didn't offer...
Old 08-21-2017, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ******
McLeod should be able to send you one

We have metric over here also....if you have a good fastener provider over there maybe you can get one from them

still FedEx or something should be able to get you one from McLeod pretty quick. Your clutch is new...McLeod should send one under warranty.

Surprised Billy didn't offer...
I've e-mailed a couple of places hopefully they will get back to me tomorrow.

Yeah, not been hugely impressed by their support/customer service to be honest.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:41 PM
9 Second Club

I have well below .20

0.2 what ? miles, inches, mm, thou ?

And imperial bolts are easy to find, almost anything is available via egay.

Quick Reply: McLeod RXT Street Twin install question