Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 hard to put in gear while running.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 hard to put in gear while running.

Accidentally downshifted from 3-2 pretty bad today getting on the highway,clutch caught and I disengaged it as soon as I realized. Pulled the car over and now 1 and 2 are very hard to get into gear and reverse won't go into gear while the car is running. I tried it again after shutting the engine off and it's fine but the moment you start the car it goes back to being very hard to get the trans into gear.

I'm not sure whether that could be a shift fork,synchros or damaged hydraulics ,anyone ever have something similar happen? I'm hoping it will be something I can fix rather than a full rebuild.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

One of the first things I would check is the disengagement of the clutch.
Put the car up on Jack stands, put it in gear with the clutch in, rev it and make sure it doesn't act as if the clutch is released.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My LT1 car just did this, turned out to be the throw out bearing was slowly cracking not allowing clutch to fully release.

What SteenH suggested is a nice test.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SteenH
Put the car up on Jack stands, put it in gear with the clutch in, rev it and make sure it doesn't act as if the clutch is released.
I'll try this when I get off of work today. Drove the car to work this morning and it's still very stiff to put into first and second,while reverse requires shutting the car off putting it in gear then starting the car.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SteenH
Just tried this in the driveway,with the clutch all the way down and the trans in first the car will roll around 4500 rpm. So it could be the clutch or throwout bearing/slave?

Last edited by steamythekid; 10-06-2017 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-09-2017, 04:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

It will be clutch related, yes.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

if with rear end jacked up (on stands) with engine running, trans in gear and the rear wheels turn with clutch pushed all the way in you have "disengagement" issues.

Maybe the TO bearing or clutch itself is toast.

if I knew what year car you have could comment more
Old 10-09-2017, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ******
if with rear end jacked up (on stands) with engine running, trans in gear and the rear wheels turn with clutch pushed all the way in you have "disengagement" issues.

Maybe the TO bearing or clutch itself is toast.

if I knew what year car you have could comment more
2000 z/28 with a monster level 2 single disc,picked up a throwout bearing today at work but won't have time to touch it until the weekend. Clutch feels "ok" shifting in 3,4,5,6 a little notchier than normal but still seems to engage fine with no slipping.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Not sure if T.O. bearing on LSx stuff can cause your issue....LT1 yes as the top lip is known to peel back and cause disengagement issues

Maybe your clutch was compromised on the miss down shift...

If the rear wheel in air thing shows a disengagement issue...likely clutch/hydraulic related vs tranny

The Monster vendor appears to be responsive to posts regarding their clutches. Maybe contact them about your issue
Old 10-09-2017, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ******
Not sure if T.O. bearing on LSx stuff can cause your issue....LT1 yes as the top lip is known to peel back and cause disengagement issues

Maybe your clutch was compromised on the miss down shift...

If the rear wheel in air thing shows a disengagement issue...likely clutch/hydraulic related vs tranny

The Monster vendor appears to be responsive to posts regarding their clutches. Maybe contact them about your issue
Hopefully it's just the throwout bearing,really don't want to drop cash on a clutch right now,and don't want to put a cheaper one back in. I should know by the weekend.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Pulled the trans today,throwout bearing has play in it and the surface is toasted. After removing the clutch,it's friction disc has hairline cracks all over it,the flywheel and pressure plate have hot spots on them. Looks like I'm in for at least a new disc but most likely a new clutch set/flywheel.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Pressure plate is definitely showing hot spots like you said.

Someone else suggested getting with the vendor on here about the clutch. May be worth doing.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Number Tew
Pressure plate is definitely showing hot spots like you said.

Someone else suggested getting with the vendor on here about the clutch. May be worth doing.
just emailed monster about purchasing a new disc,put the car back together with the new slave.the trans is shifting much better,still a bit notchy in first and second but nowhere near as bad .as before. Planning on an lq4 swap over the winter so if the funding is there I'll probably upgrade to oneof their beefier clutches by that point.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck with it!

Quick Reply: T56 hard to put in gear while running.