Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

new noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default new noise

HI, I recently had a monster clutch kit installed. I already have a tick master. At the same time I had the factory hurst shifter replaced with a mgw. The clutch just turned 400 miles so no hard launches. Just normal driving. I've noticed that when i stop more often than not, when i try to put the car into first gear it clunk. It seems to lurch the car a bit, like it wants to move. Should i try to put the hurst shifter back in, is there such a think as a faulty mgw shifter. It was brand new from them. Any advice as to what i can look at would be helpful thanks
Old 03-17-2018, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

anyone?
Old 03-17-2018, 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

your issue may be because of clutch disengagement issue.

Jack up rear end so tires are off the ground, use jack stands. Start car and put in 1st with clutch pedal all the way down....do the rear tires spin?

If they do your clutch is not disengaging completely. You could adjust the Tick MC to give you more pedal travel to see if that resolves the issue...if not try bleeding clutch hydraulics

The fact you say the car wants to lurch forward while stopped when you put it in gear to me suggests a disengagement issue vs a shifter issue

If this is a LS car...IIRC you "may" need a shim behind the slave. Did the shop that installed the clutch measure???
Old 03-17-2018, 01:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 157 Likes on 108 Posts

Might have to adjust your clutch master. It may not be releasing 100%
Old 03-18-2018, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Default ill try that

I purchased the monster level 2 kit, i was thinking i read some where they did not need a shim. No the installer did not measure. I did consider the tick mc needing adjustment. I raised it up to it where it starts to disengage at the top. I'll put the car on jack stands to confirm if it is this to help rule it out or to see if it is the problem. I also have the speed bleeder, so i'll try to bleed it and see if i get any air. I does not do it all the time.... strange. I'll post back this evening what i find out.
thanks
Old 03-18-2018, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

i put it up on stands and had two of the kids watch the tires. they both told me the the tires did jump when i was putting it in gear. i did some adjusting and they said they didn't move. while i have it up i'm changing the gear oil in the rear. I'll let it down and drive it. Guess maybe i adjusted it the wrong way.... I figured if i set it high it would give it more pedal travel....
Old 03-19-2018, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

well it is still there. I drove the car today and every now and then when i went into 1st it let out a clunk.... its frustrating when you put all new, name brand stuff in and this happens....
Old 03-19-2018, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

What percent of the clutch travel from floor to all out does the car start to move after you have it in gear? If it grabs right at the floor then you are just barely opening it enough to not stall the car and it's not completely releasing. Try setting it to where it grabs half way out, if it's not there now.