Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MityVac

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MityVac

Alright i have read and read and read but i still cant figure out how to use the mityvac to bleed the hydrolic clutch system so easily please help
Old 08-19-2004, 04:37 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SloMoFo
Alright i have read and read and read but i still cant figure out how to use the mityvac to bleed the hydrolic clutch system so easily please help
I was in the same boat. I tried it and got more air in the system than I had in the first place. Get 2 other friends, one to open the slave bleeder valve, one to watch the fill on the master, and yourself to pump the clutch in the car. It'll be done in no time and saves $40 bucks.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Put the mitivac together with the container in line. Stick the pencil tip attachment into the bottom of the CMC reservior so it seals against it. Start pulling vacuum up to ~20"#. If the fluid level in the CMC drops you don't have a good seal. Some fluid will drain into the container along with some bubbles. Pump the clutch to get more air out. When done slowly release the vacuum and top off the reservior.

this is the quick and dirty explaination.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Don't forget to have some brake fluid in the line of the mityvac so you won't bring more air bubbles into the system.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Put the mitivac together with the container in line. Stick the pencil tip attachment into the bottom of the CMC reservior so it seals against it. Start pulling vacuum up to ~20"#. If the fluid level in the CMC drops you don't have a good seal. Some fluid will drain into the container along with some bubbles. Pump the clutch to get more air out. When done slowly release the vacuum and top off the reservior.
I set up the mityvac as you said and bubbles just kept comming out Do you think that there is a broken seal letting air in the line somewhere?
Old 08-23-2004, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Are they very large bubbles coming out pretty fast, or smaller ones that are pretty seperated?
Old 08-24-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I set up the mityvac as you said and bubbles just kept comming out Do you think that there is a broken seal letting air in the line somewhere?

You're likely pulling air through the plunger in your master. I did the same and replaced it. Still have hydraulic issues but think it's my slave.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Krab
Are they very large bubbles coming out pretty fast, or smaller ones that are pretty seperated?
well with 20 on the gauge they are big sometimes and some times they are small but mostly big and they are like spaced apart just about the same
Old 08-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dal1as
You're likely pulling air through the plunger in your master. I did the same and replaced it. Still have hydraulic issues but think it's my slave.
should air be able to pass through the plunger like that i thought that it would have to be sealed so that no air is to get into the system i just replaced the slave cylinder this past weekend so there is no way it could be that at least i hope
Old 08-25-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

should air be able to pass through the plunger like that i thought that it would have to be sealed so that no air is to get into the system i just replaced the slave cylinder this past weekend so there is no way it could be that at least i hope
I mean the plunger in the Master and no air should not pass through. When my master was bad I could pull constant air. Replaced it, and can pull no air at all. In fact if I pump the pedal it will get pulled to the floor from the vacuum. lol

Still having hydraulic issues though. Just gravity bled the system and am waiting a few days to see how it works out. Maybe my slave is bad.

Quick Reply: MityVac