Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

c5 transaxle directly to ls1 block for midengine project car

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 transaxle directly to ls1 block for midengine project car

I am planning to build a mid engine car and I was thinking of using a c5 transaxle but as you know it is connected to the engine by a long tube. What would it take to bolt a c5 transaxle directly to a ls1 block. Has it been done? Who should I talk to.

This is the biggest issue of the project and if any suggestions will be hugely appreciated. Also is there another transaxle that would be easy to use. The engine does not nessarly need to be an ls1. It could be any other small block. Cost is an issue.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

what about using a frontwheel drive setup with a northstar??
Old 08-25-2004, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would take converting for a clutch release system on the front adaper of the trans and comming up with a fabricated clutch housing - really not too tough for a car crafter.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

No offense, but if cost is an issue, why even attempt a project like this? I'm not trying to be a dick about it but you are wanting to redesign the car. That never comes cheap. You've got a low 12 second car. Be happy with that and drive the **** out of it That's what I'd do.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red1999z28
No offense, but if cost is an issue, why even attempt a project like this? I'm not trying to be a dick about it but you are wanting to redesign the car. That never comes cheap. You've got a low 12 second car. Be happy with that and drive the **** out of it That's what I'd do.

why? becasue i think the creating is more fun then the driving. Then when it is created its the feeling of satisfaction. Also i want somthing different. It is also nice to learn how do build things, you know knowledge is power.

The cars target weight is 1800-2200 pounds and i think i can build it CHEAP if i can just figue out a transaxle to use. The custom bellhousing is no problem. Any other input.

Alot of people are using the porsche g50 transmisson but it seems a bit pricy.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look into the box from the new GT(40). Or the new DB8 box.You will need something stout and there are not alot of Taxles out there - none of them are cheap. It would be cool to adapt the Audi V8 AWD.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calhoon
Look into the box from the new GT(40). Or the new DB8 box.You will need something stout and there are not alot of Taxles out there - none of them are cheap. It would be cool to adapt the Audi V8 AWD.

i got some input on hooking up the c5 transaxle. The main issue is that the shifting linkage would be blocked off if i put a belhousing on it. I was told that it is possable to remove the square piece of sheetmetal off the top of the trans and constuct somthing to that. The c5 transaxle looks like the best deal for price
Old 08-25-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about this but maybe somebody else can chime in if I am wrong here. I thought the C5 tranny uses the same internals as the fbody unit for the most part. If that is the case why not separate the transaxle from the tranny and put a fbody bellhousing and clutch setup on it. I have looked at a few pics of a C5 unit and it appears that they also use a different outside casing as well but I'm unsure if the C5 transaxle will bolt to the tranny. Basically you would have to have the complete C5 transaxle and tranny there with a fbody tranny and just tear both down and use the input shaft, front, cover, and such off the fbody unit and use the C5 main shaft in the tranny. Again I don't know if that would work or not but that gives you something to think about. Your only issue will be getting the shifter to work if you can hybred it like that which if this idea of mine is indeed the case you can use a fwd style shifter that uses cables and such and do it that way. The only place where I can think of to run the shifter off of is right off that blockoff plate that allows you to access the detent ball and spring in the main case part being the fbody tailshaft housing can't be used, so you can't use that shifter setup. Use one cable to push and pull the shifter side to side and the other to push it up and down. Should work I would think, but you would have to have that piece inside special made on a CNC machine I would think so you could attach shifter cables to it. Just ideas I'm kicking out there Eithor way you are gonna have fun with this LOL.

Last edited by kossuth; 08-25-2004 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

www.pro-touring.com look under the rides section under corvair. There is a guy who did just that. He can help you.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Fcar / C5 parts swp is sort of ok but not quite. The F car shifter is mounted in the extension - where you want to mount the axle. The parts can be swapped to some extent to get the front adapter and clutch releas systems concerted. The shift likage is a challenge. You would need to fabricate your own shifter base as no one makes one with the pattern needed to bolt to the center port on the case. In order to modify the linkage to accept this custom shifter, you will need to fabricate an offset lever( the part the shifter interfaces with) and provide a split/ 2 piece rail. The split rail is needed to retain the reverse inhibitor function in the rear of the box. This is not rocket science and it has been done more than once.If you are seriously interested, pm me.

Quick Reply: c5 transaxle directly to ls1 block for midengine project car