Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch master ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default Clutch master ????

I have a spec 3 properly broke in. I had a chevy dealership put a new slave in, while they the tranny out the tech put the clutch in it for me. They didn't replace the clutch master. I did goof up and synthetic brake fluid before the clutch installed. Now the problem is that clutch grabs towards the floor and it is hard to shift to second at high rpm's. Do any of u think it is just the clutch master going bad or is it worst. Any feed back would help.
Mike
Old 08-30-2004, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that the only way to change the engagement point of the new clutch is to buy a adjustable clutch master cylinder. The drill mod on your master should fix the trouble you have shifting at high RPMs.

Kevin
Old 08-30-2004, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I have a 02, drill mod isn't necessry, from I was told. Engagment of the clutch was good when breaking it in now sometimes it is a pain in the *** to get into second. No grinds at all just a little tuff. It goes into gear if i put the clutch pedal all the way to the floor.
Mike
Old 08-30-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mike's02ls1
I have a 02, drill mod isn't necessry, from I was told.
Is this true? I have an 01. Aren't the slaves for the 01 and 02 the same? I was thinking of doing the drill mod when I change my clutch. When I shift hard, I will lose pedal pressure, and the clutch engages really close to the floor.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:48 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Arrow

I have a 02, drill mod isn't necessry, from I was told.
This is incorrect information that is 4+ years olde.

Read:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/197188-quick-drill-mod-question.html
Old 08-31-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Just spent 4.5hrs putting that piece of crap master cylinder. Didn't fix the problem, I think the GM tech that put the clutch in didn't use the shim between the slave and throw out bearing. Now I have to spend labor day weekend fixing their screw up. They put a slave in under warranty so he put the clutch in for free. Hopefully this will solve the problem, now it is tough to get into all gears. Lucky me...
Mike
Old 09-04-2004, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a spec 3 properly broke in. I had a chevy dealership put a new slave in, while they the tranny out the tech put the clutch in it for me. They didn't replace the clutch master. I did goof up and synthetic brake fluid before the clutch installed. Now the problem is that clutch grabs towards the floor and it is hard to shift to second at high rpm's. Do any of u think it is just the clutch master going bad or is it worst. Any feed back would help.
Mike
I was wondering about the synthetic brake fluid... Did you use it for clutch fluid and it cause problems?? I was just wondering...

As far as your car not shifting well at high rpm's, I had this problem as well and it was fluid related... Burnt *** fluid I should say!

If the 'drill mod' does not help solve your problem, Do a search on some of NineBall's 'clutch related' posts and you may find what you are looking for. (Sorry I don't have a link for you, I think I found it while searching under clutch - heat)
NineBall explained how the heat from headers can really toast clutch fluid and he gave a few tips on how to help reduce it with heat wrap and such.
His take on the whole clutch issue with our cars was impressive IMO.

Good luck with your clutch and let us know how it's coming along...
Who knows, We may just figure this thing out!
Old 09-05-2004, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I fix the problem with a metal shim from SPEC and good ol- locktite on the pressure plate bolts that were backing out. Shifts smooth as silk...
Old 09-06-2004, 03:30 AM
TECH Addict

you can get a mcleod, but ive tried it before, and had nothing but problems trying to bleed it. just get an 01 or newer one, thats what i would do.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:31 AM
TECH Addict

there is also something called a bushmans way to bleed it if you need help.