Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

H E L P !!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation H E L P !!!!!!!!!!!

HOW THE F*#! DO YOU GET THE PILOT BEARING OUT OF AN LS1?!!! I have rented the removal tool from Auto Zone with the slide hammer... it won't even go in the bearing! I have been trying to pack the bitch with grease and it still won't fill up. What does it take?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please, someone throw me a frickin' bone here!
Old 09-07-2004, 09:41 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The slide hammer, can you take one of the fingers off & just grab it with one finger?
Maybe that will fit & you'll be able to get it out.Rotate it around the circumference of the bearing(while hammering) it'll come out.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

never thought of that. I will see if its possible, and maybe if I can get one arm off, I cand slide the other in and then put the one I took off in it and connect it back. I will give it a shot. Thanks. BTW, I found out why the grease trick did not work... the crank an LS1 is hollow!
Old 09-08-2004, 05:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there should be a plug in the crank behind the pilot bearing if not it has fallen into the oil pan and should be replaced. what i did to get the pilot out was i took a chisle and cut into the bearing enough that i could get the puller in.

JR
Old 09-08-2004, 06:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

I did what JR did. Use a chisel to knock a slot in the bearing, shove the puller in, twist, and then yank the bearing out.

And if you packed it with grease, you need to inspect the oil gallery plug that's behind the bearing. If it's not there, as JR said, it is in the oil pan. The LS1 crank is hollow... the grease trick does not work.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the help, I finally got mad enough, that I just stuck the tool in kinda angled, and tapped it with a hammer. tool slid right in, and the bearing came out with one tap of the slide hammer. Now, after everything is back in and I have driven the car, it has a very noticable vibration while on the gas in 1st-3rd gears. It can be heard and felt. It goes away with the clutch pressed in, and a slight noise can be heard while in neutral with clutch out. With this said, its not the driveshaft, nor the pilot bearing. What is it?! Everything else lined up good (or so I thought!). HELP!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2004, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

You and me both, brother. I got sticky gates in every gear, and a noticable whine coming from the gearbox.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well, mine really has no problem going into gear but that vibration is driving me crazy. Someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Should have had the flywheel and pressure plate balanced as a unit prior to installing.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

called spec this morning after my buddy had called a couple of people he knows who said not to drive it, and spec told me it was because I did not buy a clutch/ flywheel kit from either them or GM, but rather purchased a flywheel from GM and the clutch from SPEC, they are not balanced. Just after 30 miles, the pressure plate and flywheel had visible hot spots. Guy at the machine shop said it was bcz they were not mating up correctly. said he might have to step the flywheel on the outside because it looked like that is the only place it was making sufficient contact. We will know tomorrow because he should have it done by noon.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I got the assembly back from the machine shop, and reinstalled everything. Guy at shop said the flywheel was really off. Said he had to turn it down a little on the outside. Got everything back in the car and guess what? The dang vibration is still there, though not quite as noticable. And now there has developed a weird rattling or whining sound. WTF?!?! What can this be? I bought a poly trans mount, so could it be that I have it off a little, and the trans has the driveshaft in a bind causing the vibration? I am running out of ideas and time. This is my only car so it has to be fixed. I may have to try aligning the tranny again and see if that is it. Please help
Old 09-11-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt. anyone have anything?!
Old 09-11-2004, 11:55 PM
wrencher

Poly trans mounts on a M=6 are a little annoying to say the least. Try the stocker & see if it helps some?
Old 09-12-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

someone else said that too on another local site. I found out what the rattle was but am a little embarassed to say. Oh, okay... when we were putting everything back in last time, we had to use a screw driver placed just above the oil filter on a tab on the block and the shaft back thru the flywheel/ p. plate assembly. Well, when we finished, we forgot to remove the screw driver, hence the rattle. I did not break thank goodness, only wedged between the exhaust and motor but was rubbing the back of the flywheel. Hope the tranny mount is the culprit of the vibration, cause I can live with that. Later.

Quick Reply: H E L P !!!!!!!!!!!