Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

new flywheel.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default why?

Why would you buy a new flywheel when adding a spec III clutch instead of turning the old one and reusing it?My car is a street car see's 2 track days a year.I have a 224 cam 5.3 heads slps and cat-back.The next mods I plan on getting are the aforementioned clutch,TA girdle and a set of nitto DR's.

Last edited by tonyt123blue; 10-07-2004 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's nothing wrong with turning the other, but it is better to just get a new one!
Old 10-08-2004, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JackZ28
There's nothing wrong with turning the other, but it is better to just get a new one!
why?on a low 400 horse car is it going to make that much difference?
Old 10-08-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

buy a new one and b done with it. just buy everything you need for this the first time and then you won't come back to us because you failed to listen and not get everything you need the first time around for the clutch job
Old 10-08-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to hear more on this as well, with some logical replys, because this is my first MT car.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mc01ta
buy a new one and b done with it. just buy everything you need for this the first time and then you won't come back to us because you failed to listen and not get everything you need the first time around for the clutch job
I would not listen to anybody that just say's because I said so.what is the reason why is the 230 dollar flywheel better than stock?if I wanted a lecture I could have called my dad .I wam looking for solid info. not your hollier than thow attiude of I knoe it all.In fact if you cant respond to a person who is sekking the advise of others why in the hell did you respond?Or for that matter even join this board.as for coming to you again dont worry ***** I wont.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

woah...i was being sarcastic while trying to inform you, sorry about the miscommunication. My point was if you have a clutch problem or a transmission problem then it is probably more worthwhile to replace what is needed since you will have the trans out. There won't be any worries or concerns about the possibility of something else being faulty and because of the time this takes to do you might as well replace everything. Now when i say everything it doesn't mean you have to go drop $ on the most expensive clutch, flywheel etc. You can go with a new stock flywheel for pretty cheaq compared to aftermarket flywheels. I've heard horror stories about bad luck with aftermarket throwout bearings, pilot bearings, probably better off going through GM for those parts. You could just get the zo6 clutch kit, $325 will get you clutch, pressure plate, FLYWHEEL, and pilot bearing. You would need to be the master/and slave cylinder if not a 2001 or 2002 model and trans fluid. Thats about everything involved as far as parts. ALSO do the drill mod. Go to the search button and type in drill mod, zo6 clutch, etc. and you'll get some great info about this kind of stuff. have a good one
Old 10-08-2004, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great grand fine!
but could someone answer the question: why would you need a new flywheel instead of turning one that's not too old. Not do I need one yes or no, but what the advantage of a new one is...mainly, how reliable are turned ls1 flywheels, do they seem to hold up just as good and is there any performance advantage between stock and another companys steel one?
Old 10-10-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm not going to answer your question with this but it's probably a good idea to get a new flywheel if you're getting a new clutch while the trans. is already off like mc01ta explained.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Launching!

why why why?does the new contain some other matireal than the stock will it hold up to heat better will it do something the stock one can not if it is resurfaced??????if it is the same thing why waste 230 for a new one?
Old 10-10-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

I'm ordering my spec 3 tomorrow without a flywheel. The reason people buy new flywheels I think is because the stock flywheel can only have so much milled off of it and if yours looks kind of bad then it would just be a better idea to buy a new one. I'll be looking at mine when I do the install and if it looks pretty bad, then I don't see why I can't just go to the dealership and get a new one in no time at all for a cheaper price than specs. If it looks decent enough though, I don't see why you can't just resuse the stocker after turning it.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Why would you turn a stock flywheel when upgrading to an aftermarket clutch? If you plan on throwing more HP at it later, it's stupid to use a stock flywheel, because the only thing that will be good for is ruining your new clutch. The aluminum flywheels are stronger, and even the steel billet flywheels will handle much more abuse. That is the reason, because you'd potentially be shortening the life of your stage III if you resurfaced the stock flywheel. Does that answer your question???????????????????? If you're going to do it, do it right!
Old 10-11-2004, 06:49 AM
11 Second Club

I just put the Spec III in and resurfaced the stock flywheel (94k miles). Now my whole car vibrates when engaging each gear. Ordering a new flywheel ASAP. I should have done that when I bought the damn clutch. Now I have to take the tranny back out :/
Old 10-11-2004, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

well 94k miles is a lot of miles, I would have replaced mine when i did the install if I had that many. But as for one thats got less than 30k miles, it might look ok. And like I said, I don't have a problem with buying a new one, I just want to take a good look at mine before just incase it doesn't look so bad. I've only taken my car to the track once in the past year and a half and I hardly ever beat on it. It might look ok, and if it doesn't I'll replace it. I know it is suggested to just do everything new and I don't see anything wrong with that, I'm just saying what I'm gonna do. I guess the only question I have about the way I'm doing things is, would a new stock flywheel work ok with a spec 3 clutch?
Old 10-11-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Maybe, but they recommend that you use at least a steel billet, as the stock flywheel isn't as strong, and the clamping force of the stage III might be to much for it. If you plan on adding power adders, you might as well upgrade. If not, there's a good chance you'll be ok.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

I looked for a stock flywheel, the lowest prices was like 300 something.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Well my uncle manages gm parts and always gives me the price he pays for parts which is pretty cheap. Thanks JackZ28, that's the kind of information I think this whole tread started about. We finally get the answer we were looking for. As of right now though I'll stick with the stock flywheel and later on after a year or so I'll go something different since I'm sure I'll need something more than a spec 3.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Keenov
I looked for a stock flywheel, the lowest prices was like 300 something.
I DON'T THINK SO! Why don't you check Ebay. There are some on there for like $50. You can get a billet steel fly for that price! Yikes!
Old 10-11-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Yep, I bought a stock flywheel from ebay for $69 shipped to my door. Buying a stocker for $300 is nuts when you can get it for less than 1/3 of the price. The stocker will work just fine, a spec billet steel or aluminum one is not needed. What do you think the stocker is made out of, plastic?
Old 10-11-2004, 01:41 PM
FormerVendor

For anyone here insterseted (tonyt123blue, SLP is clearancing new oem flywheels for $49.95, I just ordered one earlier today and that is what I will be using with my Spec 3.

Quick Reply: new flywheel.