Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 trouble

As my name states i have a 99 ss m6. About two years ago i had the clutch changed to a spec stage 2. When they went to remove the tranny the pilot bering had warped badly enough that they had to pry the tranny out of the car. I also had an aluminum flywheel installed. When they removed the tranny the put royal purple tranny fluid in it along with a pro 5.0. Recently the tranny has been giving me trouble getting into second and third and a hard time getting back into first. Horrid vibration in first, second, third, and fourth especially on decelleration. I always rpm match while downshifting to protect synchro's. Also when i nail it in forst or second it feels like it's gonna fall apart and is not pulling nearly as hard. (possible clutch slippage?) So there's my dillema any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thx in advance
Old 11-15-2004, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

btw i also hav a new slave cylnder thought that might help
Old 11-15-2004, 09:38 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bet would be along the lines of the trans goin south. The blockers & syncro's are not the greatest. Wonder if you tore up some main shaft bearing too with the vibrations etc. Has the drive shaft & U-joint been eliminated the possible cause of the vibration? Does the clutch hold a high gear at low speed?
Old 11-16-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Veteran

you not suposed to run a fully synthetic oil in the trans or it will get kinda notchy, try putting some gm synchromesh in it and see what happens.
you may also be having clutch problems.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As was pointed out above , synthetics are a no-no in your 99. If you had a damaged pilot and did not go through the trans when it came out - you are lucky it lasted till now - this is now overdue especially with the beavis act of using non spec. oil.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

If I am not mistaken you are not supposed to run synchromesh either. Just regular ole Dexron 3 ATF. I can't remember where the write up is about why not to use the synchromesh. . .I will try to locate it though.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the input. wrencher the clutch doesn't slip in high gears at low speeds and i'm almost positive the drive shaft and u-joint are fine. I was thinking since the pilot bearing was warped that mabye the input shaft isn't completely true anymore and therefore a possible cause for vibration. the vibration is only between 2-4k rpm
I'm definately gonna put some dexron III in it this weekend and see if the thicker oil helps out a bit.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

black99ssm6- Curious on 2 things:

1.) Which Royal Purple, their MAX ATF or their Synchromax?

2.) When you find the real cause of the problem, whatever it may be, can you please update this thread so anyone using it to search on people's fluid experiences in the T-56 can have some reference?

Thanks, and I hope you get it worked out for as little $$$ as possible!

Chuck
Old 11-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

chucky2

i'm not really sure which one it was but the synchromax sounds familiar also i will post the results of what the problem is. I'm a little pressed on cash right now because of school so i'm gonna change the fluid this week and check for any major damage and if it's still driveable i'm gonna drive it until i can afford a built up t56
thanks for your input
Old 11-19-2004, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Thanks black99ssm6! Hope you get it solved for as smalll amount of $$$ as possible!

Chuck
Old 11-22-2004, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

just got back from the oil change place and wow i never thought my transmission could run this smooth. gave it a "little" no noise or vibration however when i hit third it kinda hesitated before goin into gear. other than that all problems solved. btw the oil i had in it before was the royal purple synchromax. thanks for your input
Old 11-22-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Veteran

i kinda figured that was most of it.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Re: vibration in first, second, third, and fourth especially on decelleration. I don't understand how a differant tranny fluid would fix that. Vibration in the tranny sounds more like a ballance problem or a pilot bearing gone south and the input shaft has warped or has some movement. I don't know how the pilot bearing could warp either as it's a thick race full of needles pressed into the crank - I'd of thought it would pile up and then go to pieces leaving your input shaft with no support on the front - hence the movement or warpage of the tranny input shaft. Anyway - hope your problem is solved and doesn't come back to bite ya.

cmac
Old 11-22-2004, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

black99ssm6- Congrats on getting it fixed!!!

First I've heard of the Synchromax not giving good results...Royal Purple has plain bad showing with their MAX ATF and now a bad result on the Synchromax.

Just for research sake, what went back in their as far as brand of dino Dexron III?

Thanks for posting the results back by the way!!!

Chuck
Old 04-24-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, I also want to know what fluid he put back into his tranny that fixed his problems.