Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

C5 Corvette noisy throwout bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow C5 Corvette noisy throwout bearing?

A noisy throwout bearing is a common/normal condition for 6-spd C5 Corvettes. It kind of sounds like someone is shaking a tin can full of marbles under your car.

Right now, I have a Spec stage 3 clutch, and since the new clutch went in, the noise is much worse.

My big question is, which part is it that is making the noise? In the service manual, there isn't a part labeled as the throwout bearing. I've commonly heard the slave cylinder/actuator cylinder referred to as the throwout bearing. I've also heard the pilot bearing referred to as the throwout bearing. Which is it?

Here's the diagram from the service manual:

Anyone know exactly where the noise is coming from? Can anything be done to reduce the noise?

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Teching In

This is the explanation for the rattle I got from a guy on another forum:

"All the 6-speed cars have this rattle. It is not a defective part or a malfunction. The tolerances on the main shaft are kept loose in order to handle the enormous torque loads generated by the engine. When you push the clutch pedal in, the input shaft stops turning so the noise goes away."
Old 11-27-2004, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tarnation
This is the explanation for the rattle I got from a guy on another forum:

"All the 6-speed cars have this rattle. It is not a defective part or a malfunction. The tolerances on the main shaft are kept loose in order to handle the enormous torque loads generated by the engine. When you push the clutch pedal in, the input shaft stops turning so the noise goes away."
Thanks for the info. I do realize that the noise is normal. My question had more to do with which part is the "throwout bearing" (pilot bearing or slave cylinder), and which part is responsible for the noise. I've heard quite a few people say that the bearing that comes with the Spec clutch is noiser than the GM bearing. The noise has definitely gotten a lot worse since the Spec went in.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#1 in the picture is the pilot bearing. It's really small.

#5 in the picture is the slave cylinder. At the top of the slave cylinder ( in the pic, top of the spring ) is where the throwout bearing is located.

A new clutch will not come with a pilot bearing ( that I'm aware of ).

What came with your clutch? New flywheel? A new slave as well as the clutch? If so, then it probably has a new TO bearing with it.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:11 PM
12 Second Club

Mine does the same thing.. 02 SS with a SPEC3. My SPEC3 kit also came with a pilot bearing and TO. I have noticed its a little more noisy after my SPEC install.... I also installed with a Fidanza Alum flywheel.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Viper
#1 in the picture is the pilot bearing. It's really small.

#5 in the picture is the slave cylinder. At the top of the slave cylinder ( in the pic, top of the spring ) is where the throwout bearing is located.

A new clutch will not come with a pilot bearing ( that I'm aware of ).

What came with your clutch? New flywheel? A new slave as well as the clutch? If so, then it probably has a new TO bearing with it.
I misspoke- my clutch didn't come with a pilot bearing or a slave. It did come with a TO bearing. I had a new GM slave/TO bearing installed with the clutch, so to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure which TO bearing my installer put in (GM or Spec). I'll ask the installer when I get the chance and see if he remembers.

Anyhow, I'm about to step "down" from a stage 3 to a stage 2 to get rid of the chatter. I've got about 3000 miles on the current clutch, TO bearing, and slave. Think I should bother having a new slave/TO bearing put in when the stage 2 disc get's installed?

Thanks everyone for the replies!
Old 04-22-2011, 01:53 PM

thanks a million for the post and answers...my 2004 6 speed does the same thing and i was started to get a little concerned... takes a load off my mind but doesnt mean i am going to ignore it completely....
Old 05-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Teching In

I just put a GM Performance clutch and GM throwout bearing in my T56 that was converted from LT1 to LS1 style. I'm experiencing this same rattle (sounds more like a knock that goes along with RPM) that goes away when I push the clutch pedal in. Is there anything that can be done to stop this rattle or is it something you just have to try and silence with noise cancelling material (Dynamat/Fatmat, etc.)? Thanks.

Jordan

Quick Reply: C5 Corvette noisy throwout bearing?