Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What mods would you do to a stock M6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What mods would you do to a stock M6?

My M6 is stock, and to my knowledge has a ZO6 clutch since its an 02 Z28. I plan to install a Ram clutch system down the road, but lately I have been hearing things like putting in forks and a drill mod.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how I can make my M6 stronger and more capable of handling the power that will be thrown at it down the road when I get a cam, etc... I searched and really didnt see anything about these topis so I appreciate your responses in advance.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:28 AM
TECH Regular

The T56 is a pretty tough tranny already. Since yours is an 02, there's no real need to tear into it unless you're having problems. You have the newest synchros, etc., as well as the newest clutch hydraulics.

If you're planning on more power, the weak link will be the clutch, so you're on the right track there. The hydraulics won't need to be replaced, but you might consider doing the drill mod. If you do a search for drill mod you'll find a ton of information, but basically you're removing a restriction in the braided line going from the master cylinder to the slave. How-to info at Install University and here: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/howto/39021/
Old 12-14-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jlaw
The T56 is a pretty tough tranny already. Since yours is an 02, there's no real need to tear into it unless you're having problems. You have the newest synchros, etc., as well as the newest clutch hydraulics.

If you're planning on more power, the weak link will be the clutch, so you're on the right track there. The hydraulics won't need to be replaced, but you might consider doing the drill mod. If you do a search for drill mod you'll find a ton of information, but basically you're removing a restriction in the braided line going from the master cylinder to the slave. How-to info at Install University and here: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/howto/39021/
Great! Thanks alot. I was hoping that I wouldn't need to get into the gear box at all. I know I was going to be needing a new clutch/pressure plate assembly to handle the power that is going to be coming. Right now I have 25000 miles on this car and only about 1200 on the new motor. The clutch seems to be okay, when the new motor was put in they looked at the clutch and stuff to make sure as long as it was out of the car. I'll look more into the drill mod and see about doing this.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Was there a diffrence in the actual transmisson in 01 and 02 or was it just the hydraulics?
Old 12-15-2004, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

I believe 01+ T56's came with the newer carbon fiber lined blocker rings, 00 and down had paper lining.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

what i hear from d&d performance the 01-02 tranys have the steel 3-4 shiftfork also
Old 12-19-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1st mod- moser 9 inch

2nd mod- spec stage 4 clutch w/McCloed master cylinder
Old 12-19-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 02 T56 did not have a steel 3-4 shiftfork. When I was rebuilding my tranny I threw one in for peace of mind. jlaw is correct the clutch is whats gonna go with cam level power way before the T56 craps out. I would also suggest doing the drill mod and be done with it. While I had my tranny out of the car I replaced my 20K mile stock Z06 clutch and flywheel with a brand new one since the time was there. The stock one had seen 376+rwhp from 4K miles and had a remarkable amount of material left compared to the new one. The Z06 clutch is great for someone that daily drives a cammed or H/C car and does not see the track much. If your gonna see the track all the time the Z06 clutch is not soo good of an idea.

Quick Reply: What mods would you do to a stock M6?