Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch not engaging after install

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 09:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch not engaging after install

I installed a zo6 clutch disk/pp, new flywheel, new pilot bearing, new stock slave in a 2000z28. Went to put the car in gear, let out the clutch and no go. I picked up a 2002 zo6 slave and it looks to be the same size, so i just don't know what is causing it not to engage. Someone please help as i need to get this car back out asap, its my daily driver.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:51 AM
FormerVendor

Did you rebleed? Try this and have it done using a mighty vac or other power system.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:01 AM
10 Second Club

Are you saying that when the car is running and you push in the clutch pedal, the trans will go into gear with no problems(such as the car trying to move) but....when you release the clutch pedal to make the car move...no go. Correct?

If so...there has to be a bind somewhere. The slave/TO assembly isn't releasing the clutch or the flywheel is too tall etc....Did you get the ZO6 kit with the factory clutch,pp and flywheel? What was the part number on the slave you used?
Old 02-26-2005, 03:05 PM
FormerVendor

I do not have the part #'s handy right now, but i will try and answer a few of your questions. I bought a zo6 pp/clutch disk from a member of cz28.com and used a stock camaro pp with like 3k miles on it. I installed a new 00 camaro slave, i was in a pinch and couldn't get the upgraded new one when i needed it. We bled it several of times, once using a vap pump thing that you would use bleeding your brakes. If you push the clutch pedal in, it will go into gear, then when you release the pedal it acts as if you foot is still on it, the car will not move. Could this be cause be poor bleeding? I though that if it was improperly bled, you wouldn't be able to get it to engage? thanks for the help guys
Old 02-26-2005, 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

Correct. Usually the air in the line won't allow the system to push enough fluid to disengage the clutch. Sounds like your clutch is stuck on disengage. The clutch pedal is not stuck to the floor is it? If it is, just pull it up and keep pumping and bleeding.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably forgot the clutch disk when you bolted the pressure plate on. Just kidding, but I would suspect either the z06 slave doesn't work for your application (too long when compressed) or pressure plate bolts backed off.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:35 PM
10 Second Club

I think the mis-matched combo has done you in. That's why they sell the ZO6 clutch kit with the flywheel,pp and disc all in one box. The parts in your present combo are obviously not designed to work together. Sorry man.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:33 PM
FormerVendor

Thats what i was kina worried about.. I just couldn't pass up the price for the zo6pp and clutch disk, i paid $75 shipped for them, just didn't research if the camaro fly would work or now. I think i will get a zo6 fly and see if that solves the problem. I hope the bolts didn't back out, I torqued them to spec and this problem happend imidiatly after it hit the ground. I really to appritiate your guys help. I will let you know if the new fly solves the problem. Btw the cluth pedal comes back up just fine. What is the best way to bleed the hyd system, i think i will do that again when i take it apart to do the fly just for good measures.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

Yes. Get the ZO6 flywheel and you should be golden.
Bleeding is simple. Pump the pedal slowly up and down 20 or so times then hold down and turn the bleeder nut for a sec. Close the bleeder nut and pump some more...repeat. Keep a sharp eye on your fluid level in the reservoir. You will need two people for this.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:11 PM
FormerVendor

thats the way we did it to finish off the job, brakes are so much easyier to bleen than these slave/masters.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:05 PM
FormerVendor

and the problem was............... the throw out bearing i used must have been mispackaged because the plastic was roughly a 1/2" to long and wouldn't let it go all the way in, put the right throw out in and problem solved. The only problem i am having now is it is very hard to get in gear and it grab almost imediatly off the floor.. would that be sign's that i need to re-bleed?

Quick Reply: clutch not engaging after install