Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot Bearing NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Pilot Bearing NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I am doing an easy p1-3 hour job of replacing a clutch on a 98 trans am, and its not exactly going well, 4 hours to get the trans off and flywheel out for machining, then there was the pilot bearing........

Three ******* hours later and it is still in there. tried the slide hammer puller for an hour or two, then tried filling the area with grease and using a bolt or something to dispace the bearing, and all with no success.

We have run out of ideas for getting that god forsaken bearing out. Anyone else have this problem and find a solution? Our last resort is to maybe try and drill out the old bearing.... very last resort though.... appreciate any help, but please for the love of god help!
Old 03-12-2005, 08:41 PM
9 Second Club

The slide hammer puller should work. Mine came right out. Option 2 get a dremel and grind it all out till its weak enuff to get out.Then get the puller back on it to get it out. Good luck

Joe M
Old 03-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Launching!

I had the same problem once before that you are having. I forget what size i used but i ran a large tap into it, heated the hell out of it and it finally came out. Good luck with it
Old 03-13-2005, 03:17 AM
TECH Addict

What exactly isn't working with the puller and slide hammer? You do have to dremel down the arms a little bit on the puller so they will fit into the pilot bearing and then tighten it so the arms will grab the bearing. Don't do the grease method, I've heard you can knock out a oil plug from the crank, then you'll be in for some more work getting that fixed.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

DAMNIT!!!!! did the grease method already...hope it didnt blow out an oil plug.... I would definitely commit ritual suicide....

We were gonna go buy a bunch of drill bits and drill the ****** out, but having never thought about the dremel tool before, it seems that will be much cheaper than buying bits... a couple milling tips or grinding tips should do the trick, might even grind the whole gay *** thing out, appreciate the help...
Old 03-13-2005, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

update: it was my car....we got the install done. mad props and thanks to derek(lt1z28) and two cadets, tristan and brad for all the help and assistance in the install. i like the clutch a lot so far.

EDIT: this is "mulletwearingtadrive" i forgot derek logged in on my comp.

Last edited by LT1-Z28; 03-14-2005 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow... I was just about to make a post for this. And DAMMIT I TRIED THE GREASE METHOD! Hopefully I didn't hurt anything. Where did you guys get your slide hammers? And more importantly, how do I tell if I knocked that oil plug thing out? Thanks!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

In the future, you could try this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4876
Old 03-14-2005, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
I saw that to but kind of confused if it would work as it says sleeve type bearings, and didn't know if would work on needle type bearings. The jaws have to be big enough to catch the outer part of the bearing or you just end up pulling the needles out.

The slide hammer worked geat for me with a single large jaw that just fit inside the bearing. I did have to use some pretty good force on the slide hammer, but came right out...
Old 03-14-2005, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

we did the install at a local air force hobby shop and they had a slide hammer we could use so that was nice. basically we used a dremel and grinded down into the side of the pilot bearing until the circle was broken and then it came out really easily....
Old 03-15-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ended up renting the puller from autozone, had to modify the pilot fitting a little with a dremel to make it fit, but it came out after a few tries. Completely destroyed the bearing though.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

When I did my clutch install, we had a bigass puller and that bitch still wouldnt come out. Tried with some big guys absolutely railing on the puller and the bearing would not budge an inch. Anyways, the geniouses at F-Body Central up in Baltimore, used this crazy *** idea and got soaked toilet paper and started stuffing it in the center of the bearing and then packing it in there with a metal rod that was the same size at the bearing hole. They just kept hammering more and more wet toilet paper in, and finally it popped the pilot bearing right out. Pretty damn sweet. Took a ton of toilet paper, so if anyone ever tries this just keep doing it until the bearing comes out.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by burnout04
When I did my clutch install, we had a bigass puller and that bitch still wouldnt come out. Tried with some big guys absolutely railing on the puller and the bearing would not budge an inch. Anyways, the geniouses at F-Body Central up in Baltimore, used this crazy *** idea and got soaked toilet paper and started stuffing it in the center of the bearing and then packing it in there with a metal rod that was the same size at the bearing hole. They just kept hammering more and more wet toilet paper in, and finally it popped the pilot bearing right out. Pretty damn sweet. Took a ton of toilet paper, so if anyone ever tries this just keep doing it until the bearing comes out.
a guy at the shop told us about that method but we just went with the dremmel instead. i imagine it might work...similar to the grease method.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

I just got mine out (took about 15 minutes), but I payed for it with a busted lip. Damn slide hammer dropped on my face.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:12 AM
11 Second Club

^off the subject but my heavy *** modified torqu arm slid off and my head was between it and the floor and busted the side of my head. I thought you wasnt suppose to use the grease method on the LS1 cars due to the crank being hollow. They told me you could drive a cap in the end of the crank back into the oil pan as a result of this meathod. I dont know. Ive always took gease and a homemade driver and got them out. The one on my truck was a bushing so wore out I found an old Lincoln Log laying around and used it as a driver
Old 03-19-2005, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, your not supposed to use the grease method for reasons you stated. Sounds like the hammer puller or cutting it out are the best choices..

Dan
Old 03-20-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To the guys who've pulled theirs out - would this work?

$20 from Northern Tool
Old 03-20-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that is the exact tool i have. that tool pulled that bearing out in 3 seconds - NO JOKE!!!
Old 03-20-2005, 07:40 PM
Banned

Just imagine doing this crap for a living !!! There's easier money to be made thats for sure .........

Quick Reply: Pilot Bearing NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!