Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

spring broke on clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spring broke on clutch pedal

so i'm driving down the road at about 55 and go to shift to 6th gear and i hear this loud pop sound come from below the dash, i then feel something hit my foot. i pull over and see what looks like a piece of broken spring. i was a couple of miles from work so when i got there i pulled the panel off below the driverside under the dash and see a black spring wich is still partly attached to the top of the hydrolic arm. the clutch feels i little bit less springy but the car drives and shifts fine and there is still some play in the pedal so i don't think the throw out bearing is riding on the clutch. i called the dealer and they want 35 bucks for this shitty spring. i then called napa and advance and they dont carry it. how big a deal is this spring if it comes off, i am going to put one in today or tomorrow, even if i have to go to home depot and make one. what do you guys think, has this happened to anyone before? thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing that spring is a big PITA... you'll see what I mean if you crawl under there and look. Gotta remove/move quite a bit of stuff to get at it.

Mine broke (for the 2nd time) 2 years ago and I never replaced it that time... car shifts fine, and I've never noticed any kind of a difference. And I do quite a bit of drag racing with this car...
Old 04-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the info, i looked at the spring and it looked easy to replace, but since i have never done it and you have i believe it will be a PITA. what is the hard part, getting to it or just removing it and putting the new one in.

thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by billybob
thanks for the info, i looked at the spring and it looked easy to replace, but since i have never done it and you have i believe it will be a PITA. what is the hard part, getting to it or just removing it and putting the new one in.

thanks
Getting to the point where you can change it is the hard part, IMO... just wasn't worth it to me, especially after the new one broke 6 months later. After that, I said forget it... and it hasn't mattered at all when it comes to the pedal action, since the hydraulics have plenty of pressure to push the pedal up as fast as you can shift.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:13 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

I think this just happened to me this morning on the way in to work.

I pressed the pedal down, and heard what sounded like a spring breaking under the dash. I didn't feel or hear anything drop on my foot or the floor though.

The car does feel fine and seems to shift ok - like Tranzor was saying.

What is the point of the spring if it's not needed? Surely it does something. I'm tempted to replace it. Just not sure if it's worth it. Especially if it breaks in 6 months.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Same thing happened to me about 20 miles after my LS7 clutch install. That was 250 miles ago and I haven't had anything go wrong yet. Pedal still feels fine and returns quickly. Mine probably happened from pumping the clutch pedal ~2000 times while I was unsucessfully performing the factory preferred clutch bleeding procedure.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:37 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

The LS7 clutch is a bit stronger than the stock LS1 clutch, I would suspect (hence the reason for doing the upgrade, right? lol). I can't help but worry that the clutch might be slipping if it was designed to have a spring on the pedal.

On the other hand, the reduced tension in the pedal (which feels much softer, almost squishy now, like it's "sprun" by some temperpedic foam material) makes shifting much smoother, which I imagine is easier on the various mounts, rear, and people inside.

Any technical data on the purpose and intent of the spring would be appreciated greatly.

I'm also wondering if there is anyway to mod the system a bit to make it easier to replace. If it's going to break so frequently, it would be nice to carry 1 or 2 and when it breaks, be able to just pop it out and a new one in, on the spot, quickly and easily.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its common that they break.

but they're jsut there to help with the clutch feel.. thats it.
so if you dont mind it feeling a little harder to hold in, and a little lighter as you initially press it in, then you're fine.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:25 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
its common that they break.

but they're jsut there to help with the clutch feel.. thats it.
so if you dont mind it feeling a little harder to hold in, and a little lighter as you initially press it in, then you're fine.
Sorry to ask stupid questions, but I think it's easier to press and to hold now. But you're saying the spring is designed to make it easier to hold in?
Old 09-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Teching In

happend to me too, you cant make this thing...so buy it from the dealer and see if one of the guys in the service dept can put it in for you...thats what i did, it was 35 bucks and the guy put it in for free. it took him 10 minutes
Old 09-02-2006, 12:57 AM
Banned

dont worry about it most of them alawys pop off u can depend on ur hydraulics to pull it back out in place
Old 09-02-2006, 05:23 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LightEmUpLs1
dont worry about it most of them alawys pop off u can depend on ur hydraulics to pull it back out in place
Unless they are on the floor like a stuck pig cause your master sucks!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

my spring broke about 15k back and ive had no probs with it...actually ive come so used to it that i like it better than a springed clutch pedal...lol.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default spring

Mine just broke too on my clutch install. All it is, is the pedal return spring I put a new one in for piece of mind but the clip it goes in also broke and i can for the life of my get one at ALL. Anyone know what im talking about it a little white clip?
Old 09-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah i know that clip!...while i was reconnecting my master cylinder and laying on my back on the floor...pain in the A$$ ...i noticed the the clip had worked its way out of the metal bracket and further onto the spring...so that the spring was contacting the actual metal bracket...so i removed the spring...the clutch safety switch..and the brake light switch..and pressed the white clip back in place...and worked the spring back into place...10 minutes of bull for a lil peace of mind ...

Quick Reply: spring broke on clutch pedal