Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Fucked up bleeding my clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fucked up bleeding my clutch...

I'm not sure whats going on, but I think I did it wrong or something.

I started off by having a friend pump the clutch while I got caught all of the fluid coming out of the quick disconnect fitting. By now the clutch was soft and would stick to the floor and not come up. The resevoir was empty so I added more fluid. I reconnected the quick disconnect fitting and then pumped the clutch a few more times. Then I got under the car, had my friend push in the clutch, then I opened the bleeder valve, closed it, then had my friend release the clutch. We did this about 15 times now and everytime a bunch of brake fluid shoots out of the bleeder valve. The clutch is still loose, still sticks to the floor. How the **** do I bleed this thing?!?!
Old 07-20-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I'm not sure whats going on, but I think I did it wrong or something.

I started off by having a friend pump the clutch while I got caught all of the fluid coming out of the quick disconnect fitting. By now the clutch was soft and would stick to the floor and not come up. The resevoir was empty so I added more fluid. I reconnected the quick disconnect fitting and then pumped the clutch a few more times. Then I got under the car, had my friend push in the clutch, then I opened the bleeder valve, closed it, then had my friend release the clutch. We did this about 15 times now and everytime a bunch of brake fluid shoots out of the bleeder valve. The clutch is still loose, still sticks to the floor. How the **** do I bleed this thing?!?!

What he said trying to figure out as well.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't let the resevoir go empty. I usually get about 3 cycles of pump and bleed before I refill it. If it gets empty you are just sucking more air into the system. I have always used a version of the bench bleed method and it has worked everytime. I connect the slave to the master and lock the slave in a vise to keep it from overextending and just run through a series of pump, hold and bleed cycles until the clutch feels firm. Sometimes it's just a handfull of cycles, sometimes its seems like 50 cycles. Just keep at it until its right. At this point I install the slave onto the tranny and continue with the tranny installation. This method requires that the slave and tranny not be installed in the car. If your tranny is back in place this will not work.

How are you opening the quick connect fitting? If you are holding this open without pressure on the pedal you will suck air back up into the system.

There are a few other methods that others like to use, mightyvac, cutting a hole in the floorboard to get to the bleeder valve and just pump, hold and bleed, and another recent one involves putting the quick connect back into the resevoir and pumping. I don't know much about these as my quasi-bench bleed works for me. If the search is back up you should be able to find more detail on these other methods.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well... EVERYTHING is back on the car. I'd rather burn the car than remove it all again. What if I submerge the quick disconnect in brake fluid and pump the clutch, while making sure the resevoir has fluid.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Well... EVERYTHING is back on the car. I'd rather burn the car than remove it all again. What if I submerge the quick disconnect in brake fluid and pump the clutch, while making sure the resevoir has fluid.
That will work, it's the same as bench bleeding the clutch, except it's on the car.

Good Luck
Old 07-20-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

What if I attach a hose to the bleeder valve and them submerge that in a bottle of brake fluid. Leave it open and then pump the clutch. That way I bleed the slave also. Then when I'm done I will leave the clutch depressed, then close the bleeder. This should work right?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

What if I attach a hose to the bleeder valve and them submerge that in a bottle of brake fluid. Leave it open and then pump the clutch. That way I bleed the slave also. Then when I'm done I will leave the clutch depressed, then close the bleeder. This should work right?
Theoretically yes, it should work. But the line from the bleeder on the slave would need to be completely full of fluid or more air will be entering the system.

Here's a trick that worked for me:
If you have an old slave, remove the quick disconnect from the old slave and attach it to the quick disconnect line coming from the master. This will be a slave simulator. Then submerge the slave simulator in fluid and pump in slow, smooth motions, all the while keeping the reservoir full.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Then how do i bleed the slave once thats done?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a mighty vac
Old 07-20-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Then how do i bleed the slave once thats done?
Mity-Vac the rest of it.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I opened the bleeder to put the tube on and ALL of the fluid drained out of the bleeder valve. So that didnt work. So I put the tube on the quick disconnect and tried that. Again all the fluid just drained out. I even filled up the resevoir and then had a buddy pump the clutch and in no time all of the fluid was in the bottle. It wouldnt suck any of the fluid back up through the tube. The clutch pedal is still dead. I gave up on it for now and will try again Saturday. Any other ideas?

Where do I get a Mity Vac?
Old 07-20-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where do I get a Mity Vac?
Sears sells 'em. Check this link for a picture: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00947058000
Old 07-20-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Ferocity, I attempted to gravity bleed 2 weeks ago when I did my Textralia install. Just cracking the slave and letting it drip slowly. That worked for getting out the old fluid, but the pedal pressure was still low. I bought the mityvac and used that for about 2 hours after the install, and then did it each of the next 3 days after having driven it. Seemed to get rid of most of the bubbles. I don't know if you'll find it the same, but my Textralia seems to have a pretty soft pedal, and they did say it should feel like stock. I'll probably go to town again with the mityvac again this weekend just to see if anymore bubbles have shaken loose.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

How do I use the Mity Vac?

My clutch system right now is full of air, no fluid at all. So what do I need to do before using the Mity Vac
Old 07-21-2005, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

For the mityvac, all you need to do is out one of the pencil tips attachments on the hose, and stick it into the line coming into the bottom of the master resevoir. Pull about 15-20" vac and keep your eye on the line looking for bubbles.

However since the resevoir went dry while you were bleeding and probably sucked a lot of air, I think you may need to pull off the master and bench bleed it (which requires a mity vac) to get fluid back into the system. Then you can mityvac bleed it on the car and go after the small bubbles left over.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

What about pumping brake fluid up through the quick disconnect fitting, or even through the bleeder valve. Wouldnt that force out much of the air?
Old 07-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Teching In

has anyone had the rubber ring in the slave come out due to excessive pumping of the clutc. And if so Is that repairable or am I out 140 $

THis bleeding process is starting to really get to me
Old 07-21-2005, 08:47 PM
9 Second Club

ferocity02 ,Bleeding the clutch is simple without a mityvac but your gonna have to take out the master to do it my way. This is what you need. Brake fuild , clean container , the end off a old slave cly.,clear tube that will fit around the end of the old slave fitting , and patience.This is how I did mine and the rest of my f-bodies friends .This may be kinda backyard or redneck but it will work.
1.I dont really have a shop so I use what I have just like the rest of us.So go to your garage door and zip tie, tie wire ,or whatever your master with the line on it to the track the door follows.
2.Now take that old slave fitting and attach it to the line.
3.Take the clear hose that fits on the old slave fitting and slide it over the fitting leaving about 2 foot on it.mount it up in the air ,straight up from the master so gravity will help you out with the air
4.now mount your resevor to the track so you can pour fluid in it easily.
5.with everything full push in the master and hold it in until you can either plug the end off the hose or crimp it off with vise grips or something like that.the idea here is to not to let go of the master until you have found a way to stop it from sucking back in the air you just pushed out.kinda like a check valve "one way"
6.now that it is plugged release the rod on the master. this will pull the fluid from the resevor into the master.repeat steps 5 and 6 over and over and over......it will take some time and probably be a little messy
7. make sure that the resevor doesnt go empty or you will have to start over.A helper works great for this.Now your old lady can say she helped!!!
8.the clean container is for catching fluid that comes out of the clear tube so you can reuse it until the system is bleed.
9.now watch your clear tube for bubbles . eventually there will be no bubbles. and when this happens your master is now bleed.
10.now fill up the resevor and cap it off.
11. disconnect the old slave fitting.
12.clean up your mess and then put it in your car.
hope this helps!!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
ferocity02 ,Bleeding the clutch is simple without a mityvac but your gonna have to take out the master to do it my way. This is what you need. Brake fuild , clean container , the end off a old slave cly.,clear tube that will fit around the end of the old slave fitting , and patience.This is how I did mine and the rest of my f-bodies friends .This may be kinda backyard or redneck but it will work.
1.I dont really have a shop so I use what I have just like the rest of us.So go to your garage door and zip tie, tie wire ,or whatever your master with the line on it to the track the door follows.
2.Now take that old slave fitting and attach it to the line.
3.Take the clear hose that fits on the old slave fitting and slide it over the fitting leaving about 2 foot on it.mount it up in the air ,straight up from the master so gravity will help you out with the air
4.now mount your resevor to the track so you can pour fluid in it easily.
5.with everything full push in the master and hold it in until you can either plug the end off the hose or crimp it off with vise grips or something like that.the idea here is to not to let go of the master until you have found a way to stop it from sucking back in the air you just pushed out.kinda like a check valve "one way"
6.now that it is plugged release the rod on the master. this will pull the fluid from the resevor into the master.repeat steps 5 and 6 over and over and over......it will take some time and probably be a little messy
7. make sure that the resevor doesnt go empty or you will have to start over.A helper works great for this.Now your old lady can say she helped!!!
8.the clean container is for catching fluid that comes out of the clear tube so you can reuse it until the system is bleed.
9.now watch your clear tube for bubbles . eventually there will be no bubbles. and when this happens your master is now bleed.
10.now fill up the resevor and cap it off.
11. disconnect the old slave fitting.
12.clean up your mess and then put it in your car.
hope this helps!!!!
So why do I need to take the master and the resevoir off to do this?

So basically what you're doing is pumping fluid through and getting all of the air out with it?
Old 07-22-2005, 05:08 PM
9 Second Club

So why do I need to take the master and the resevoir off to do this?

So basically what you're doing is pumping fluid through and getting all of the air out with it?
Basically thats it. I just find it easier to work with it and moniter wants going on.

Quick Reply: Fucked up bleeding my clutch...