Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

shifter problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default shifter problem

i had a spec stage 2 clutch installed last week, along with everything that spec recommends be upgraded (slave and flywheel). ever since i picked my car up from the trans shop, i've noticed the shifter is getting harder to shift. the shifter pops into neutral just fine, but when it comes time to shift into another gear, i have to literally give it everything i've got for it to stay in gear and not pop back to nuetral or grind. it wasn't noticable at first, but at around 200 miles into the clutch break-in, the shifter was getting VERY hard to get into gear. when the car is shut off, i cant easily move through the gears with no problem or resistance whatsoever. this makes me think it's not the shifter. when i turn the car on and hold the clutch in w/ the break off, the car will creep forward like an automatic does when you let off the break while in gear, and it will do the same if the car is in reverse. right now i'm at 275 miles of break in, and the it's so hard to get into gear that i have to turn the car off and switch gears while it's shut off just to get from reverse to 1st, and vica versa.

any advice or diagnosis would be greatly appreciated here, i've never heard of this happening after installing and stage 2 w/ a new flywheel and z06 slave.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

to the top
Old 10-12-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kind of feel do you have in the pedal?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

pedal feels fine, it hasnt changed at all. i've psoted in other forums and they think it may be the master?
Old 10-13-2005, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I vote for your clutch not releasing fully. The hard shift you feel is the synchros fighting the engine/clutch. This is a battle they will loose. This is puting a wear hurt on your trans.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

shim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
pedal feels fine, it hasnt changed at all. i've psoted in other forums and they think it may be the master?
i missunderstood that question,. i thought you were refering to pedal pressue . the clutch catches less than an inch off the floor....thats entirely too close IMO. also, when the pedal is pressed, it should immediately have pressure, but there is none for the first 2 inches.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by calhoon
I vote for your clutch not releasing fully. The hard shift you feel is the synchros fighting the engine/clutch. This is a battle they will loose. This is puting a wear hurt on your trans.

I'm with Calhoon

have you done the dill mod and do you have an adjustable clutch? Almost everyone has this problem when going to an after market clutch! Did you have aftermarket prior to getting the spec stage 2 in? I had similar issues with mine but not that bad! I got the adjustable and did the drill mod and haven't had any issues since. Make sure you fully bleed your master though!!!
Old 10-17-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

you guys were right....after the trans. shop took everything back apart, dropped the trany and everything, they saw that one of the teeth on the pressure plate was bent, causing the clutch to not fully disengage. so, after payin an unnessecary $200 to get a master cylinder put in, the car is back on the rode again.