Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

new clutch, vibration and sticking

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new clutch, vibration and sticking

well, i recently installed a Spec stage 3 with all new associated parts including a new spec billet steel flywheel.

Now i have vibration and the clutch pedal sticks to the floor for just a sec. just after hard shifts and then pops back up harshly.

My tech tells me that he bleed the clutch thoroughly and i have a McCleod master cylinder. The clutch didnt do this before the new spec 3 went in, so what gives.

Please help.
eric <><
Old 11-09-2005, 05:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My new Spec clutch assembly is also causing some vibrations!
My guess is that it's out of balance - I'll soon bring mine to a shop for a check...
Old 11-09-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never install a Spec without getting it balanced first IMO. I've had a Spec 2 for 30,000 miles with a good number of 3,500- 4,000 rpm launches and am quite happy with it. However, Spec had to replace the first one I put in the vibration was so bad. The second one still vibrated not near as bad but it had to come out and I had to have it balanced locally. That being said shortly I will be installing one of the new Spec 3+ clutches. A friend of mine installed a 4 last week and no problems.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Hate to tell you about the vibration, But you should have had the fly wheel checked for balance, If you drive it like that for very long, not only will you have to replace the rearmain seal but also the clutch, because of all the oil the fly wheel will sling to the top and then drip onto the disk.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

...someone should explain me a thing...
why the hell all (ALL!) those aftermarket parts aren't perfect from the origin?
I've never had the chance to buy something, bolt it on and say "ohh, it fits like the stocker!". Never. Ther's always something to adjust, to modify, to drill, to file, TO BALANCE...!
I'm probably too naive; I also was born in a place where new means NEW + PERFECT...
Maybe I'm also too old (38)... But I really have the impression that being screwed is becoming a sport!

sorry for this non-technical post, but I had to.

Originally Posted by jpz06
If you drive it like that for very long, not only will you have to replace the rearmain seal but also the clutch, because of all the oil the fly wheel will sling to the top and then drip onto the disk.
What is "very long"? Car is shaking a little at idle and I have a strange feeling at 3000 - 4000 rpm. So for the moment I stay at 2000 - 2500 rpm max.
Are 1000 miles already too much?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I had balance problems with two different Spec clutches they both vibrated worst at 1,100-1200 rpm after about 2,000 rpm you really couldn't feel the vibration. I ran a lot more than 1,000 miles before I solved my vibration issues, so unless it's really bad you're most likely OK.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigdsz
When I had balance problems with two different Spec clutches they both vibrated worst at 1,100-1200 rpm after about 2,000 rpm you really couldn't feel the vibration. I ran a lot more than 1,000 miles before I solved my vibration issues, so unless it's really bad you're most likely OK.
well, the vibration i have is at about the same RPMs you mentioned. And i have about 1000miles on the new clutch/flywheel now. It surprises me that so many people have also had the same problem with the SPEC clutch not being balanced when received. THat is the whole reason that i bought the entire assembly from them, but looks like i made the wrong decision. I called SPEC about the problem soon after the break in period was over, and they said to take it out and send it back. The only thing is, the R&R costs money and thats something that doesnt come easy.

THanks for all the replies, at least now i know i'm not the only one

eric <><
Old 11-11-2005, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is one thing I should mention, some Vettes have a fine tune balance from the factory at the flywheel. In other words not all Vettes have neutrally balanced flywheels. Check to see if there are any balance weights in the OEM flywheel. Or even better yet take the OEM flywheel to a machine shop locally to determine if it is in fact neutrally balanced. I had my complete Spec flywheel-clutch assembly balanced locally for $30.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put back the stock clutch and the vibration is gone!
THe Spec flywheel is 1/3 blue and the rest has never been touched by the clutch disk.
Same for the pressure plate.
POS!
Old 12-17-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tici
...someone should explain me a thing...
why the hell all (ALL!) those aftermarket parts aren't perfect from the origin?
I've never had the chance to buy something, bolt it on and say "ohh, it fits like the stocker!". Never. Ther's always something to adjust, to modify, to drill, to file, TO BALANCE...!
I'm probably too naive; I also was born in a place where new means NEW + PERFECT...
Maybe I'm also too old (38)... But I really have the impression that being screwed is becoming a sport!
I'm with you on this aftermarket ****. It like the stuff we buy has never really been R&D'd and they let the customers go through hell trying to figure it out. I too am old school and expect the products to work as described. I installed the new Crane 1.8's kit (Everything they make to do that job) and now I have been told probably should replace thier double springs, maybe the cause of the valve float.

Glad to hear you got the vibration gone. I am going through the same thing after a ZO6 clutch and flywheel install and all new hydraulics.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mark A. Rogalski
Glad to hear you got the vibration gone. I am going through the same thing after a ZO6 clutch and flywheel install and all new hydraulics.
You mean you installed a Z06 clutch and it vibrates?
Old 12-17-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to get off topic, Crane is a quality company, but I've said for years that their rockers cause valve float and they won't address the issue.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tici
You mean you installed a Z06 clutch and it vibrates?
Yes, Here you go for the full story.

Crane 1.8 and clutch install - now issues

Quick Reply: new clutch, vibration and sticking