Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

B&M Ripper or Pro 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blue01ta
I have heard other people say that if your into drag racing the 5.0 is probably better for you, if your into road racing the B&M would probably suit you better.
Does anyone have a rational explanation for why people state this?? I'd really like to know.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Just to throw a curve, what's everyones thoughts on the Hurst billet plus?

Rob
Old 12-29-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC Devil Dog
Just to throw a curve, what's everyones thoughts on the Hurst billet plus?

Rob
Haven't heard of that one, but also when the search did work I looked up the Fidanza STS and nothing came up on that either, I even made a thread on that shifter and no response.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:28 AM
Launching!

This is for Sgt. Spuds. If You think that GM does not know about quality than maybe You should have got a Mustang. BTW did'nt GM produce the best small block V8 engine ever? Don't You think it's funny that GM's famous LS-1 is stomping on the competition. I think Your in the wrong forum. Oh yeah, I have a Hurst billet plus shifter and love it and I can bang gears with the best of them.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Does anyone have a rational explanation for why people state this?? I'd really like to know."

Because if you're wearing a 5-point harness, the Ripper is easier to reach for shifting than the Pro 5.0. It has a longer handle.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by red fury
stock hurst with Lou's short stick here.......I like it more than my buddies B&M ripper.

thats what i have...and let me tell ya....i think it outdoes any shifter ive felt...its awesome...and only cost about $30 in all

thats my $0.02
Old 12-31-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

for whatever its worth, i've posted in threads exactly like this numerous times. you really just have to try both out, find someone with a 5.0--drive it. find someone with a ripper--drive it. its realy up to you. some like this, some like that. you might not like that so much and want this. blah, blah. i've had both the 5.0 w/LSS and the ripper. i prefer the ripper. and this isnt based off "road racing" or "drag racing". its just simply my preference. i think its smoother. try them out and see what you like

Jon
Old 12-31-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a damn good post jon...it really is all about YOUR preference
Old 12-31-2005, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Viper
"Does anyone have a rational explanation for why people state this?? I'd really like to know."

Because if you're wearing a 5-point harness, the Ripper is easier to reach for shifting than the Pro 5.0. It has a longer handle.
Cool. I never thought of that. I guess I will when I get around to putting a harnessbar and 5/6 point belts in my car. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

so either you need to sit closer to the steering wheel, or grow longer arms :p

Seriously though... I have a Pro 5.0 with a Lou's short stick (chopping down the 5.0 stick 3/4" wasn't enough, and wasn't bent towards the driver like Lou's stick is)... love it.

For those talking about a light shift **** beign easier on the tranny stops, I have to wonder why you'd think that. The heavier the shift ****/shaft above the pivot point, the less effort it takes to shift gears and the less effect vibrations will have on your shifter (i.e. no worries about slipping out on a shift or gripping the ****). When I went to a custom Stainless Steel **** it was a night and day difference over the stock plastic/leather one... I can't even imagine how bad it'd be with a light MBA billlet aluminum one.

I prefer to know where my **** is, not to grip it to keep it from vibrating during a shift.

Pro 5 by itself is alright, Lou's stick really helps put it in a better spot IMO. I passed on the B&M unit as the Pro 5 has a reputation of quality before it's F-body unit... and I'd much rather prefer a billet steel unit than an aluminum one. Just personal preference I guess.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going on a week since the pro 5.0 install and I havent had a single problem. Install was easy, shifting is quite noticably smoother, and I am not sure if I just can't hear the noise everyone else is talking about over the TD's or if it's just that I dont have it, but I cant extinguish any rattling from the shifter.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

FWIW, I've tried all of the shifters out there since '95 when I bought my first LT1 f-body; stock, stock hurst, stock hurst w/ LSS, ripper, pro 5.0, hurst billet plus, hurst competition plus (no longer made). IMHO, all the aftermarket shifters do a much better job than stock and better than the stock hurst as well. What I've found is this. The old hurst competition plus (no longer made) overall had the best feel and fastest shifts of any, although it was slightly more flexy (smaller diameter shaft) and didn't have the tranny protecting stops designed in (though I've never seen a tranny fail not having them), but you can't get this shifter anymore. The newer hurst billet plus replaced this shifter and was much more firm, more rigid, included stops, and also was more notchy but still a good shifter and good upgrade. The pro 5.0 i though was a pretty good shifter, but I don't know if it was just me, but the shifter has soft springs or weird geometry heading into the middle gates such that it sometimes wants to do the 1-2-1 shift instead of 1-2-3 and you are looking for 3rd and get 1st. THis also happens on the 3-4 where it grabs 2nd instead of 4th. Maybe it was just the one I had or my shifting style but I've never had this problem with any other shifter. The ripper is pretty nice, it also sometimes hits the gate on really fast 2-3 shifts but the middle gates (3rd and 4th) are more positive than the pro 5.0. I currently have this one in my car. It has the stops as well (so does the 5.0), and is a well-built unit. If I had my choice I'd go back to the old hurst competition plus if I could still find one but I can't so for now, I'm sticking with the ripper and I would say 90% satisfied with it. Good luck in your decision.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve in Seattle
For those talking about a light shift **** beign easier on the tranny stops, I have to wonder why you'd think that. The heavier the shift ****/shaft above the pivot point, the less effort it takes to shift gears and the less effect vibrations will have on your shifter (i.e. no worries about slipping out on a shift or gripping the ****). When I went to a custom Stainless Steel **** it was a night and day difference over the stock plastic/leather one... I can't even imagine how bad it'd be with a light MBA billlet aluminum one.
OK, but if your theory is right, the MBA ***** (especially the 2.25"/2.5" ones) are a bad example as despite being Al alloy, they are among the heaviest available.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Originally Posted by Black1997T/A
This is for Sgt. Spuds. If You think that GM does not know about quality than maybe You should have got a Mustang. BTW did'nt GM produce the best small block V8 engine ever? Don't You think it's funny that GM's famous LS-1 is stomping on the competition. I think Your in the wrong forum. Oh yeah, I have a Hurst billet plus shifter and love it and I can bang gears with the best of them.

Hey hey hey teste, calm down, I said nothing about the SBC, or GM in general. No car is perfect, and you HAVE to admit that their are inherit problems with our cars, namely the 10 bolt, its horrible, GM put no thought what so ever into the rear end for our cars... The stock shifter is also pretty bad. Im not to sure about the mustangs rear or shifter, but I know that I really don't want a Mustang, or any ford for that matter.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dailydriver
OK, but if your theory is right, the MBA ***** (especially the 2.25"/2.5" ones) are a bad example as despite being Al alloy, they are among the heaviest available.
lol... heaviest Aluminum **** maybe.

Stock **** is 100 grams (3.5 oz).
my billet steel **** is 400 grams (14 oz).

MBA, when they were still in business, told me their alumium ones were heavier than the stock plastic ****... but they are definitely not anywhere near 14 oz... probably closer to 5 oz (+/- depending on diameter, length, design, etc...).
Old 01-05-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by radcliffe18
i recommend getting a pistol grip handle, you can get them at http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp scroll down until you get to part # HUU-1536000, and i have it screwed on top of my 5.0 shifter and my shifts are so fast and i never miss a shift, the 5.0 is an excellent shifter, but matched to this pistol grip theres nothing better
Thanks! I was going to ask if anyone had put the pistol grip on a 5.0, especially with a short stick.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black1997T/A
The way I see it is that the engineers from GM did'nt choose to equip SS and WS-6 cars with Hurst shifters for nothing. I think they should know what real quality is.

Man, you are an innocent kid aren't you?

[EDIT] No offense, it just sounded so blindly loyal to GM. Hey we all love our f-Bodies, but there are couple of warts that could use removal

Last edited by FUN LS1; 01-05-2006 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

I've been following this thread with interest since I'm looking to put a new shifter in. 2 questions were asked that I didn't see an answer to and I'm also curious about.

1) Advantage of the short stick?
2) Advantage of the angled short stick?
2.a) Is there a difference between the Speed Inc angled short and Lou's?

Also is the angle in the short stick angled toward the driver, the front, or rear - or is that dependent on how you install it?

That pistol grip looks like it would be more awkward to shift, but I guess I'd need to try it to understand ....
Old 01-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Launching!

I have the stock hurst with a LSS and its OK. I had a buddy that had a 5.0 and it was a little to noisy for my taste. It felt great but the noise was more than I liked. I will probably go with a Ripper this as I think it may be a better alternative to my LSS Hurst.

As for this comment:

Originally Posted by Black1997T
If You think that GM does not know about quality than maybe You should have got a Mustang. BTW did'nt GM produce the best small block V8 engine ever? Don't You think it's funny that GM's famous LS-1 is stomping on the competition. I think Your in the wrong forum. Oh yeah, I have a Hurst billet plus shifter and love it and I can bang gears with the best of them.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Where does one buy the UMI short, cant seem to find it

Quick Reply: B&M Ripper or Pro 5.0?