Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

GM Flywheel weights

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM Flywheel weights

Hi all, I was looking to purchase a new flywheel and clutch for my LS1 before i put the motor in my RX7. Searching the forums i can't seem to get any results to come up from last year. I figured someone out there has a list of comman flywheel weights of the for the LS1, but I'm unable to find them. So does anyone know off hand want the difference is between the LS1 LS2 and Z06 (LS6?) flywheels are. it looks like one can get the Z06 flywheel and clutch relatively cheap and they would be good for a mildly enhanced performance engine. I was also looking at doing the LS2 flywheel LS7 clutch because that looked like it would be fairly inexpensive.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

These are rough numbers: Ls1/LS6 Flywheel: 24 pounds
Now if you want to run the new LS7 Clutch, you need the LS2 Flywheel that comes in the Vette and it weighs around 27 pounds. I have had the LS7 flywheel/clutch and I really like it.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Default heavier?

Wow, ok the LS2 flywheel is heavier, that's not what i was expecting. And if the LS6 and LS1 flywheels are the same there is no point to me buying the complete kit. so there does not seem to be any lighter steal flywheels avalable, i guess i would have to go aluminum to go any lighter.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

The billet steel flywheels are lighter but those are aftermarket.

" SLP's lightweight steel billet flywheel for LS1-equipped GM cars weighs 8 lbs. less than the stock cast iron flywheel. Less reciprocating weight means faster revs and the engine climbs into the power band quicker. You'll see significantly lower 0-60MPH times and lower 1/4 mile ET's. You'll feel the difference! This flywheel is manufactured from billet steel, much stronger than the factory cast iron piece, and is a "must" for higher horsepower cars. This flywheel is a direct bolt in replacement for the LS1-equipped Camaro and Firebird."

Just one of many

I believe Textralia's is 18 lbs
Old 01-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Teching In

guess i'll pull off my ls1 flywheel and see if the clutch guy here in town can lighten it at all first.

hey JB151, funny your in deland, i grew up in crescent city. you are probobly one of like 4 people on the forum who know where that is.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

well, the LS6 is advertised as "light-weight" so why is the same as the LS1?
Old 01-22-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hal9000
guess i'll pull off my ls1 flywheel and see if the clutch guy here in town can lighten it at all first.

hey JB151, funny your in deland, i grew up in crescent city. you are probobly one of like 4 people on the forum who know where that is.

I wouldn't do that. If you lighten a cast iron flywheel, it could come apart at speed and take off your legs. It's just not worth the risk. If you want a lighter flywheel, buy an SFI approved billet steel or aluminum one.

However, a heavier flywheel helps out in the 1/4 mile because you can launch it harder. A lighter flywheel does help out on a road race car where launching is not a concern.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

One more thing. People are way too concerned over flywheel weights. I went from a 24 to a 29 pound flywheel when I had the Centerforce DFX clutch in my car and I was really concerned. The biggest loss of horsepower with a 5 pound heavier flywheel happens in first gear. By analysis, my car would lose around 6 hp in first gear. It would be much less in all other gears. On a dyno in 4th gear, you would probably lose around 2 hp.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Default thanks for the advice

Ok, so screw the lighting and just get it surfaced and a new clutch. I mostly plan on using the car for autocrosing. I pulled the trans off yesterday and it looks like my motor still had the stock clutch in it at 100K. So it definitely needs a new clutch. Also though, it would seem that if i ever did the H/C swap it appears the Z06 clutch would not handle it. So maybe the LS2 is a better way to go.
Thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Default screw it

just took the clutch and flyhwheel to get rebuilt here in town. 170 bucks. then another 100 for the slave and that part of the project is done.

Quick Reply: GM Flywheel weights