Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

would a bad slave cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default would a bad slave cause this?

Search is still down, unfortunately...

Anyways, for some reason unknown to me, my car's clutch pedal seems to stay stuck on the floor whenever I do a WOT run. It will not let me shift or pull the tranny out of gear (usually happens in 1st, but it has happened in 2nd before). Sometimes I pull the pedal back out with my hand, but when I go press it again with my foot, you can tell there is absolutely no pressure and it gets stuck to teh floor again. About 10 or 15 seconds later, it'll regain pressure and I can drive normally again.

It only happens at WOT, it drives absolutely perfect in regular everyday driving. I'm by no means a tranny expert, but it sounds to me like a hydraulics problem. I replaced the master cylinder about a year ago (so I'm assuming it's still good), and I can see no visible leak of hydraulic fluid. Could this be the slave cylinder going bad? What else could it be?

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search around a bit, there's all kinds of other posts about this. Try and bleed the system to start with.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

My girlfreinds car had this problem. Its a 99 so we upgraded to the new hydrolics, did the drill mod, wraped the line in heat wrap, Bled the lines everyway possable. Then took the clutch out and it fixed it with the new clutch. I took the clutch to a local shop and had them look at it and it ended up being the pressureplate was warped from the heat mostly from the headers they said. I bet anything your car has headers on it. Thats my experiance but do a search and you can do each thing like I did and waste a bunch of time or just switch the damn clutch and get it fixed right. The clutch that was in it was a Z06 clutch. I've never heard of a after market clutch do it. Good luck man.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am having the same problem right now, and I was told on a local board
This is a very common problem. You need to drill out the restrictor on the master cylinder hose and (of course) flush the fluid out. While you're under there, put a heat sleeve around the hose going from the master to the slave.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you need the drill mod to me.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although the drill mod helps with a quick shift problem, sticking to the floor is a different concern. I have seen this most often with header-equipped Fcars. The problem comes from heat driven into the system. The cure is insulation, bleed/ fluid replacement.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:30 AM
12 Second Club

i say replace your fluid, bleed, and definately insulate that line!
Old 01-26-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the responses guys. When I replaced the master a year ago, I made sure to insulate the line. I didn't do the drill mod while I had it out though , but either way the problem isn't the drill mod. I'll just replace the fluid and bleed the system once I get some free time.

Quick Reply: would a bad slave cause this?