Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: Do you guys downshift when decelerating?
Yes, all the time.
22.92%
Yeah, most of the time
35.08%
Nope, once in awhile though
35.08%
Never
6.92%
Voters: 1012. You may not vote on this poll

Downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We aren't talking about average cars, we're talking about f-bodies with huge brakes and endless clutch problems. It's also not an either/or thing. I still do some engine braking, just not as much as I did with European cars.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sgarnett
We aren't talking about average cars, we're talking about f-bodies with huge brakes and endless clutch problems. It's also not an either/or thing. I still do some engine braking, just not as much as I did with European cars.
Good point.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the time with heel/toe to match revs. I get looks all the time from people that think I'm throwing it down a gear to race them.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Launching!

I do it mostly because my dad got after me whenever I didn't do when he was teaching me to drive. "You never know if you'll need to accelerate for any reason, son."
Old 04-06-2006, 06:35 PM
12 Second Club

I do it when I have to stop rather quickly
Old 04-06-2006, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

On heel toe, I found that I can't brake with the toe and throttle with the heel because my thigh hits the steering wheel in the Z. I simply reverse my foot and it works fine.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do it sometimes. To make a cool entrance, to slow down faster, etc. But not during normal driving.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

I always downshift. Not to slow the car down, but to be ready to stomp on it if/when I want to take off. Yes, even if its a stoplight. I don't like coasting and I hate lugging the engine.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

i rev match... puts less stress on my valve train.. ie pushrods, springs.. ect..
Old 04-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FBodyPerformer
I do it to help save my brakes in the long run. And cause I love to hear my car. But the real time I do it and its needed is when i have to come to a very quick stop. Downshifting and braking helps to slow down the car a lot faster than just braking. Its helped save me a couple times I believe
Assume a f-body with healthy brakes is moving down the highway at 100mph in a straight line. You slam on the brakes and the wheels are on the verge of locking up. That is your maximum ability to slow down, and it is limited by the traction your tires have available. It doesn't matter if the car is shifted into first or if the clutch is simply depressed and left down... downshifting won't provide any additional traction for the tires, so it won't help you slow down faster either.

I would even state shifting it into any lower gear would fight against you in a panic stop because the engine rpm would not normally drop as fast as you're forcing it to. You would actually be using a portion of your car's braking ability to slow down the engine internals and flywheel. In anything less than a panic stop this would not be the case, so using the engine to brake would suppliment your relieve wear on your brake system over time. It does not contribute to a shorter 100-0 distance though.

I personally downshift nearly always while coming to a light or off an offramp. I rev match whenever I downshift, so the wear on the clutch is minimal. It saves quite a bit of time on the brakes and guarantees I'm in the right gear to accelerate if some goof ball decides to do a last second lane change. Nothing like having all options available at all times... even if you're just pulling up to a stop light.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:44 AM
TECH Resident

NoSlowSS,

Can agree as far as F-Bodies, but Ive been in 4-bangers which stock-for-stock have brakes that just dont do anything... and thus you need to rely on downshifting.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NoSlowSS
Assume a f-body with healthy brakes is moving down the highway at 100mph in a straight line. You slam on the brakes and the wheels are on the verge of locking up. That is your maximum ability to slow down, and it is limited by the traction your tires have available. It doesn't matter if the car is shifted into first or if the clutch is simply depressed and left down... downshifting won't provide any additional traction for the tires, so it won't help you slow down faster either.

I would even state shifting it into any lower gear would fight against you in a panic stop because the engine rpm would not normally drop as fast as you're forcing it to. You would actually be using a portion of your car's braking ability to slow down the engine internals and flywheel. In anything less than a panic stop this would not be the case, so using the engine to brake would suppliment your relieve wear on your brake system over time. It does not contribute to a shorter 100-0 distance though.

I personally downshift nearly always while coming to a light or off an offramp. I rev match whenever I downshift, so the wear on the clutch is minimal. It saves quite a bit of time on the brakes and guarantees I'm in the right gear to accelerate if some goof ball decides to do a last second lane change. Nothing like having all options available at all times... even if you're just pulling up to a stop light.
When Im going down a street that has some pretty decent sized hills, Kansas has hills and that's about it, I downshift from 5th to 4th (keep in mind I have 4:10's) to keep from going over the speed limit and hardley touch my brakes at all.

I don't know how you guys can say that downshifting doesn't slow your car down more because you can feel it when coming to a stop on flat or hilly surfaces. Oh well, Ill continue my rev-matching and downshifting. I like to do it anyway, hence the 4:10's.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Downshifting without double-clutching does NOT hurt anything, as long as you're driving appropriately.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I only use engine braking when I am setting up for a corner that I want to power through or out of.

Just normal braking with car in neutral for stop lights and most slowing.

My reasons: wear and tear, fuel economy.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Teching In

if your coming into a corner then fine yes downshift....but if your just stopping at a sign/light etc there is no point! ya you may save your brakes a little bit, that is minimal though.....but brakes are supposed to be replaced! would you rather pay for brakes which every car has to have replaced or for trannys and clutches for the extra wear....
Old 04-18-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stang killa
would you rather pay for brakes which every car has to have replaced or for trannys and clutches for the extra wear....
Haha clutches don't wear from downshifting or from shifting in general at all. The only time the plates wear is when it's slipped. I'm telling you, downshifting does not hurt the clutch or transmission.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only downshift when racing. Seems srt-4s and mustang GTs just can't handle the 5-3 shift at 60mph.

Its always the people slower than me that want to race. Except for that one z06. I need more mods.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, for racing OF COURSE YOU DOWNSHIFT...

but as far as street driving i dont see the point if you're just cruising, ESPECIALLY in southern california where i live. there's just too much traffic...and these guys who are saying it "saves them gas" where do you come up with that? when you're coasting to a stop light - throw the car in neautral, then the motor will be at idle, meaning less revolutions meaning less gas. if you downshift then everytime you rev match into a gear you open the throttle giving the motor more gas to burn and then it's suspended in this fall where it's going to be burning gas from whatever rpm until you downshift into the next gear and rev again. basically constantly burning gas for no point.

even if the throttle isn't open, the motor still needs gas to spin the additional revs.

Last edited by leftyteck; 05-06-2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

If its an emergency and i have to stop quick i stomp on the breaks, jam in the clutch, and pop it into 2nd or 3rd, who gives a **** about rev matching in an emergency. Other than that I dont really downshift, i will just go back through the gears with the clutch in though.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I sometimes downshift, usually on hills if I have to stop.

Quick Reply: Downshifting