Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Give the T/A a try see what happens.
34.15%
Why possibly screw up the T/A, use the S10!
18.46%
Start with the S10 then try to the T/A.
30.77%
Tell her to buy her own car and learn.
16.62%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Should I teach my GF how to drive stick in my T/A??

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want to teach her to drive a stick, the ls1 is probably one of the easiest to learn on, plenty of torque so you don't really need to touch the gas when taking off, she can just concentrate on when the clutch engages, and not have to worry about feeding it gas etc etc etc. Teach her on the T/A, it'll be easier for her (and probably less frustrating for both of you)
Old 02-20-2006, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ahd to chose get her own car and learn cause it was so funny to me.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt shed screw up the TA at all. I mean if shes really screwing up right there. And letting a girl drive your baby is big points. It lets her think you care more about her than your car. HAHA thats bad
Old 02-21-2006, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

If ya like the smell of burnt clutch, let her at the TA...

F
Old 02-21-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My girl taught her self to drive when she bought her WS.6, and we didnt have any problems with it, until we took it to the track.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Not one rude or sexual comment, geez what a friendly board.

My WS6 with the spec 3 would be a little too grabby for a beginer.

But my 35th SS vert has the smoothest manuel tranny I've ever driven.

It engages and shifts like a dream, I love that car.

I look good cruisen the beach with the top down too.

I would let a girlfriend learn on the SS it would be cake.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

NO. If you teach her she is going to want to drive your car all the time. I didnt have to teach my last two girlfriends, (kinda like the tomboy types), but nevertheless they loved driving my car.....Hence less seat time for me!
Old 02-22-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i let an ex learn on my t/a... way to many 2nd to 5th shifts and the clutch was smoked between her and a friend who said he knew how to drive a manual..... she was worth it though hahaha
Old 02-22-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I was 14, my parents tried to teach me to drive a stick, using a 4 cylinder Ford Contour. Three days later, it was in the shop for a clutch swap. When I bought my T/A, I had never successfully driven a 6 speed. The day after I bought it, I drove i around the neighborhood, by myself, and learned how to drive a stick. It's a lot easier because like other people said, it's hard to stall out moving from a stop because of the power. I'm not a female, but if I had to teach one how to drive a stick, a diesel would be my first choice, followed by a car like a T/A.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

i started out on an awd DSM...... it had a new clutch in it with the first three months
Old 02-23-2006, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

I taught my friend Jen to drive my car couple months ago actually. Spec 3 and all the other goodies and she only bogged it once. Ive kinda found out that every girl ive seen drive stick are phenominal at it. My roomate Kristin drives the **** out of her 04 GTO and this is her first stick car. She can also shift faster than most of the people i know.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stang killer
Ive taught plenty of girls how to drive in my stage 4 aluminum flywheel cammed car.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:01 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I taught my wife (girlfriend at the time) how to drive on my spec'd H/C Camaro. She is too scared to mess it up so i really have nothing to worry about it appears.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My wife has no problem with the M6 (except speeding tickets), but she doesn't beat on it. She just wants to be seen in it, and it sounds wicked at partial throttle

Plus we had a M5 5.0 Firebird a while back. She picked it up quick, but she already had her motorcycle license when I met her. Yee-haa!
Old 02-26-2006, 03:03 AM
Staging Lane

This is my very first post on this list. I thought this was an interesting subject. You probably know her better than anyone here does, if she has skills let her try. If she messes up, don't go off on her, if she does good you're a lucky guy.
For future parents, teach your kids (boys and girls) to drive both types of transmissions at an early age. My dad started to teach me how to drive when I was 11. By 13, he would let me drive the Citroen (old style French jeep), a big old delivery truck and a tractor (the tires alone stood taller than I did). Needless to say, at the time we lived in the country and they were all different types of shift sticks. I am grateful to him for taking the time to teach me, today I have a choice in what I want to drive.
I feel a little leary in teaching my husband how to drive a manual. But some day I'll have to give him that chance.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

I don't think it'd be a problem. When I got my C5, within the first year of having it, I taught my wife, mom, and sister how to drive a manual transmission. My mom and sister each only drove for a couple hours, but my wife drove a bunch, and eventually I got her a ls1 camaro with a 6 speed. Now she doesn't want an automatic.

I pretty much learned to drive a stick in my vette, too. I had driven manuals before, but it was the first one I owned, so there was still a lot of learning to do. It takes a couple years (IMO) before rev matching and heel-and-toe downshifting become so automatic you don't even have to think about doing it. Until then you're putting a bit more wear and tear on everything. But the tranny and the clutch held up really well, anyway.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

NOBODY! is going to learn how to drive stick in my camaro, and if they know how to drive stick, very few people can drive my camaro, 2 people only really.. gotta love having a manual
Old 02-27-2006, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

I think the real question is, which one do you love more?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by screaminbird
Ya know what im going to go against the grain on this one, only because ive experienced this problem first hand. I taught my girlfriend how to drive stick on my 99 TA and I would have to say it was probably easier than teaching her on a lower horsepower vehicle. The LS1 is far more forgiving when it comes to not giving enough throttle when taking off ,it will damn near take off without any which helps when someone is learning (not too much hopping) she never had to ride the clutch like she would have in a smaller , lower HP vehicle ie.S10 Just my opinion.
I'm with screamin on this one. I learned on a Peugeot 505 Turbo and I must have stalled that car out 20 damn times trying to figure out how to get it right. I taught one of my exes to drive stick right before replacing my clutch and she might have stalled it out once or maybe not even at all. I was really surprised. The LS1 has so much torque down low it's an EASY vehicle to learn stick on. I would probably teach another gf who wanted to learn on my F-Body regardless of the clutches current lifespan.

Mike
Old 02-28-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK02TA
oogly.

S-10 all the way

Quick Reply: Should I teach my GF how to drive stick in my T/A??