Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

dexron VI ok to use?, dexron 3 phased out

Old 04-01-2006, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dexron VI ok to use?, dexron 3 phased out

stopped at the dealer today to get dex 3, and the parts guy said that they no longer carry it, it was superceded with dex 6. is this correct? should i just put dex 6 in my t56?
Old 04-02-2006, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know anything about dex 6, but every auto parts store in the world carries dex 3. You don't have to get it from the dealer, unless you just want to pay double for it.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

well i think the dealers always replace with whatever their new one is, i'm pretty sure i heard the dealers have been through dex IV and V also we just missed it because they never make it to stores.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

thanks guys. i know i don't have to get it at the dealer, but i was there for another part that i was picking up.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

just get dextron 3 from the local parts store.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

read this just last night, and saved it:

T56 IN GM CARS ORIGINALLY FILLED WITH DEXRON III WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD FOR LIFE. AS OF MID 2006 ALL T56 WILL BE FILED WITH DEXRON VI, WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO BE MORE TEMPERATURE STABLE AND BETTER LUBRICATING.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Whichever the dealer has that is newer, is probably better. this new stuff would also be used in new Vettes I would think. SUPERCEDED is usually means an improvement.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

superceded usually means changed in some way or form.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

There is some debate going on as to whether or not the new stuff is too thin for T56s. This would not be the case if they really made it more "temperature stable". It probably will be great in very cold climates/seasons though.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:24 PM
tc3
On The Tree

Somthing i found elsewhere:

"
Here’s what GM has to say about the new DEXRON VI:
Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is considered the life-blood of the automatic transmission. It is used to transfer power in the torque converter and provide the pressure to apply the transmission’s various clutches and bands. It also is used to clean, lubricate and cool the components of the transmission. GM’s new transmission fluid, DEXRON®-VI, was developed to have a more consistent viscosity profile; a more consistent shift performance in extreme conditions; and less degradation over time.
Beginning with the design and development of GM’s new Hydra-Matic 6-speed rear-wheel-drive transmissions, GM Powertrain engineers determined the need for a new transmission fluid to withstand the complexity of the clutch-to-clutch transmission operation. Additionally, GM engineers identified opportunities to improve viscosity, durability, and impact on fuel economy with a new fluid.
"The development of DEXRON®-VI is the first time an automotive company has worked so closely with petroleum and additive companies to develop a new fluid," says Roy Fewkes, driveline fluids group leader, GM Powertrain. "The result is a new fluid that significantly outperforms existing fluids in every aspect. In fact, we have had to significantly extend the length of our durability tests to fully test the fluid’s capability."
Internal GM tests have demonstrated DEXRON®-VI to deliver more than twice the durability and stability in friction tests compared to existing fluids. It also has demonstrated superior performance in pitting, foaming, oxidation and shear stability tests.
Here’s what it means for ZZPerformance and your our transmissions:

We believe in delivering the best possible transmission in the world. This means keeping up on all the latest technologies and constantly striving to improve all of our product offerings. The new Dexron 6 transmission fluid allows us to deliver a transmission that lasts longer, performs better and at the same time gets better gas mileage. The viscosity of Dexron 6 drops from 36 to 30 on cold starts and a little when warmed up as well. All while delivering better shifting and better protection during hot operation.
Bottom line is longer clutch life, quicker shifts, improved fuel economy and more HP put to the ground.
"
Old 04-04-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Hmph...all good info for automatics...but not a word about the M6.

Originally Posted by tc3
Somthing i found elsewhere:

"
Here’s what GM has to say about the new DEXRON VI:
Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is considered the life-blood of the automatic transmission. It is used to transfer power in the torque converter and provide the pressure to apply the transmission’s various clutches and bands. It also is used to clean, lubricate and cool the components of the transmission. GM’s new transmission fluid, DEXRON®-VI, was developed to have a more consistent viscosity profile; a more consistent shift performance in extreme conditions; and less degradation over time.
Beginning with the design and development of GM’s new Hydra-Matic 6-speed rear-wheel-drive transmissions, GM Powertrain engineers determined the need for a new transmission fluid to withstand the complexity of the clutch-to-clutch transmission operation. Additionally, GM engineers identified opportunities to improve viscosity, durability, and impact on fuel economy with a new fluid.
"The development of DEXRON®-VI is the first time an automotive company has worked so closely with petroleum and additive companies to develop a new fluid," says Roy Fewkes, driveline fluids group leader, GM Powertrain. "The result is a new fluid that significantly outperforms existing fluids in every aspect. In fact, we have had to significantly extend the length of our durability tests to fully test the fluid’s capability."
Internal GM tests have demonstrated DEXRON®-VI to deliver more than twice the durability and stability in friction tests compared to existing fluids. It also has demonstrated superior performance in pitting, foaming, oxidation and shear stability tests.
Here’s what it means for ZZPerformance and your our transmissions:

We believe in delivering the best possible transmission in the world. This means keeping up on all the latest technologies and constantly striving to improve all of our product offerings. The new Dexron 6 transmission fluid allows us to deliver a transmission that lasts longer, performs better and at the same time gets better gas mileage. The viscosity of Dexron 6 drops from 36 to 30 on cold starts and a little when warmed up as well. All while delivering better shifting and better protection during hot operation.
Bottom line is longer clutch life, quicker shifts, improved fuel economy and more HP put to the ground.
"
Old 11-11-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

It's the same phasing out thing with Mercon in the older Fords (dealer only carries Mercon V now). I saw that Castrol makes a transmission fluid specifically for "older GM and Fords" calling for Mercon/Dexron III. I think I'll probably go with this in the future for the T-56.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Launching!

I would say if you can find the ' III' then get it. There was a discussion a little while ago about this and some people have reported problems with the 'VI'..........

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/290247-t56-fluid.html

New is not necessarily improved!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

Since GM has phased out dexron III, GM has gone to P/N 88861800 manual transmission fluid for their manual transmissions and transfercases that have previously used dexron III. It is still red in color and is probably dexron III that GM has bottled as manual trans fluid.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrEddie
that Castrol makes a transmission fluid specifically for "older GM and Fords" calling for Mercon/Dexron III. I think I'll probably go with this in the future for the T-56.
I currently have this fluid in my T56. No shift problems or anything like that but it was noticably thinner than the standard NAPA Dex III I had in it previously. But like I said, no ill effects of any kind and I have another 4 quarts waiting to fill her back up after my new clutch goes in.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

I just went to NAPA and got some Dextron III. Seems to work fine.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

it will be better, prob just like royal purple but at the price of dexron VI
Old 11-17-2007, 02:13 AM
Teching In

dont put dextron 6 into a T56! get that crap out of there ASAP. im a GM tech and their is a bulletin specifically relating dextron 6 w/ manual transmissions. it even specifies that failure will result if dextron 6 is used. i ran it in my car for a while until i found that bulletin. when i switched to synchromesh. shifter felt way better. i would get it out asap.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by g4mula808
dont put dextron 6 into a T56! get that crap out of there ASAP. im a GM tech and their is a bulletin specifically relating dextron 6 w/ manual transmissions. it even specifies that failure will result if dextron 6 is used. i ran it in my car for a while until i found that bulletin. when i switched to synchromesh. shifter felt way better. i would get it out asap.
Is this post true? I need to find out ASAP.
The following users liked this post:
Z28camaro! (04-14-2021)
Old 07-01-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by g4mula808
ROFLMFAO!!! Good one! I run synthetic gear lube in my 9" locker and mercon whatever the highest number is in my T-56. Both of them will blow from abuse way before fluid issues. People fret way too much over this stuff. Really, power shifting the trans all day long will hose the parts, mercon #18,962 wont.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dexron VI ok to use?, dexron 3 phased out