Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

A4 - M6 cost

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 - M6 cost

as you can tell im brand spankin new to the forums, and want nothin more than to get along with everyone here, seeing as i too share the love for my vert. A4 5.7 TA. one of the things..if not the ONLY thing i partially dislike about my car, is the A4, ive always owned a manual, and I got this car due to wanting A TA for the longest time. I couldn't find a 6 spd anywhere and due to PCSing i didnt have much time to shop. cash isnt a REAL issue, although i do have a budget at the moment. but something i want and will do is convert her to a 6spd. I jut want to know what the pricing was on a conversion, ive heard everywhere from 4500+ to about ~2500. ive searched the site, but everyone i talk to says a T56 tranny alone is gonna cost about 1300 if not more. of course they dont own a TA or camaro except one of them, and i dont think hes done his research really. so I want to listen to the people who HAVE done a conversion and know what to expect cost wise. so for everything needed, what can i expect?

I appreciate the help, and hopefully i wont get totally torched here. hehe. Take care and have a great night.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:35 AM
12 Second Club

i did mine for about 2300 look on ebay thats the best advice i can think of im also a LT1 though so it might be cheaper for me but i wouldnt think that would be a big deal on this kind of conversion
Old 05-04-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can try to find someone willing to swap tranny for tranny. I've seen a lot of threads recently on M6 guys looking for A4's to swap with. I was lucky enough to do this and the cost ended up being around $500 or so. But that cost has a new slave that had to be bought, money for using a shop and random tools that we ended up needing.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lts_fly
as you can tell im brand spankin new to the forums, and want nothin more than to get along with everyone here, seeing as i too share the love for my vert. A4 5.7 TA. one of the things..if not the ONLY thing i partially dislike about my car, is the A4, ive always owned a manual, and I got this car due to wanting A TA for the longest time. I couldn't find a 6 spd anywhere and due to PCSing i didnt have much time to shop. cash isnt a REAL issue, although i do have a budget at the moment. but something i want and will do is convert her to a 6spd. I jut want to know what the pricing was on a conversion, ive heard everywhere from 4500+ to about ~2500. ive searched the site, but everyone i talk to says a T56 tranny alone is gonna cost about 1300 if not more. of course they dont own a TA or camaro except one of them, and i dont think hes done his research really. so I want to listen to the people who HAVE done a conversion and know what to expect cost wise. so for everything needed, what can i expect?

I appreciate the help, and hopefully i wont get totally torched here. hehe. Take care and have a great night.
I bought a new transmission from keisler for 2500(including shipping), so my cost was a little higher than some on here. But I did not want to go with a used transmission or clutch. My total cost was around $3350.00 including all new parts except the pedal assembly.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

I bought a kit from Lambert's Salvage for $2k. Also had to spend money on some misc. things
Old 06-08-2006, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

got everything i needed for 1000.... then just bought an ls2 flywheel and ls7 clutch with a new slave for 605... doin the work myself.. beat that!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Banned

I did my swap for $2266 for a 34,000 mile trans (my car had 35,000 on it), crossmember, pedal assembly with switches, shifter.
Got a new short shift stick, ball, And from GM I got the boots, console top, clutch and flywheel kit, slave, master, pedal pads. Also did a rear gear swap so I wouldn't have to run the 3.23's.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1LoudTA
got everything i needed for 1000.... then just bought an ls2 flywheel and ls7 clutch with a new slave for 605... doin the work myself.. beat that!

Originally Posted by JakeY2KZ
the cost ended up being around $500 or so.

I think I did.