Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch riding debate

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 01:20 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clutch riding debate

My friend Tondss and I are debating about "riding the clutch"

His take: It is not a problem to leave your foot "resting" on the pedal between gears and when cruising at a study speed. He drove my car for ~300 miles and I constatly had to scold him for leaving his foot on my clutch. He said he doesn't depress it at all, but a couple times I caught it actually pop out a few mm when he moved his foot.

My take: This is a TERRIBLE habit to have driving a manual transmission. Even when just resting your foot on the clutch a couple mm can shorten overall the life span of a clutch r its componets.

***disclaimer: he claims it was never pressed in at all, yet I saw the pedal move after I told him to move his foot. He says I must have been looking at his flip flop....though he was barefoot

Opinions? Who is right? Or more right at least?

Last edited by ninetres; 06-20-2006 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok riding your foot on the pedal is bad(being pressed in a good amount having the full weight more or less). i see how that can hurt it but when in the middle of going from 1 stop to another when decideing if im going to shift i would like to have my foot lightly toucing the peddal in case of needed to shift faster.

yes i had my foot on the pedal at times , when it didnt need to be witch i know is bad ,but our discution is over if you can have your foot on the pedal at all and how bad that is for it.

our discustion is whehter when i had my foot on the clutch pedal befor shifting or if i was driveing when i had my ball of my foot resting on the carpet and the heal (toe area) on the pedal no where near engagement witch is towards the complete top of let out of the pedal....

how bad is this, more then shifting inbetween gears from light to light ?
Old 06-20-2006, 01:39 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TondSS
ok riding your foot on the pedal is bad(being pressed in a good amount having the full weight more or less). i see how that can hurt it but when in the middle of going from 1 stop to another when decideing if im going to shift i would like to have my foot lightly toucing the peddal in case of needed to shift faster.

yes i had my foot on the pedal at times , when it didnt need to be witch i know is bad ,but our discution is over if you can have your foot on the pedal at all and how bad that is for it.

our discustion is whehter when i had my foot on the clutch pedal befor shifting or if i was driveing when i had my ball of my foot resting on the carpet and the heal (toe area) on the pedal no where near engagement witch is towards the complete top of let out of the pedal....

how bad is this, more then shifting inbetween gears from light to light ?

Looks like you are already coming around Tondss. Nice sugar coating of your habit in that post BTW. You left your foot chillin on my clutch while cruising too.

I think you guys get the point. Who is more or less correct?
Old 06-20-2006, 01:46 AM
10 Second Club

yes , a few times maybe i did not notcing it or thinking for somereason i was going to shift. however that is not my argument becaus i know resting your foot is BAD!

but i think there is a difference from resting your hole foot on the peddle(yes this is bad) , to resting your foot on the floor board and having your toes /ball touching the pedal for in case of need of shift fast for any reason(i dont think this is bad.)

if it was or is bad how bad can it be for it........the clutch pedal over a foot of movement to engage or disingage . and a millimeter or so of having your toes on it is bad when resting your foot on the floor board!?!
just curious, its seems to be that is isnt bad unless your are driving and resting your hole foot on the pedel.

Last edited by TondSS; 06-20-2006 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:49 AM
9 Second Club

Tondss, you are full of ****, I knew this thread was a bad idea you wouldn't be able to handle honestly. Keep on lying clutch riding master!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 01:59 AM
10 Second Club

my point is yes i probly did ride your clutch a few times and if i did that im sorry but then the argument went to weather it was bad or not to have your foot on the pedal at all......

once again rideing the clutch is bad and everyone knows that .....

so A were on the same page with that

you said having your foot anywhere near it (being on it no matter if its the ball of your foot or barrley even touching it with your toes at all while driving was bad....and maybe im misinformed and maybe it can lead to bad habbits; howerver im sure when manufacturing clutches the people, thought about that in the first place and left a minute space of play for this very reason.

maybe thats why i switched to a th-400 i still dont think that resting your ball of the foot slash heal is not bad as long as your not engaging anything

signing out clutch riding master , remeind me to not drive your car for you i dont want to hurt your clutch anymore
Old 06-20-2006, 02:02 AM
9 Second Club

Still full of **** in your above post. Nice try.

/thread
Old 06-20-2006, 02:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ninetres
Tondss, you are full of ****, I knew this thread was a bad idea you wouldn't be able to handle honestly. Keep on lying clutch riding master!!!!!!!!
lier! you told me you were done with this thread

Last edited by TondSS; 06-20-2006 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:15 AM
10 Second Club

what happend was ninetress had lost his licence. so i was doing him a favor of driving his car with him for 300 miles however we were trying to get 500. in that week to brake his new ram hd clutch in. we only had that week to do so. 2 days befor the track day , they decided they would close the track that day!! that is the hole reason for driving the car around. we were suposed to go...then there was no point in driving his car at all, we wasted all that gas for nothing!

he cought me riding his clutch appaently and this is how it all started.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

there is nothing wrong with resting your foot on the clutch. there are a few MM or even posibly 1 or 2cm that is a deadzone on the clutch this has no affect on wear but it is a bad habit thoug. i often do this myself ninetres you shuld just chil out. this seems to be your first manual shifted car
Old 06-20-2006, 04:28 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by old and good
there is nothing wrong with resting your foot on the clutch. there are a few MM or even posibly 1 or 2cm that is a deadzone on the clutch this has no affect on wear but it is a bad habit thoug. i often do this myself ninetres you shuld just chil out. this seems to be your first manual shifted car
Thanks for the tidbit...not my first manual. You even said its a bad habit.

I am SUPER **** about a proper breakin on my clutch as you can tell

Tondss......1

me...........0

I should have made this a poll damnit!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

can someone delete this as it is just another argumentative thread, it's really not stating anything just someone whining about something that affected nothing and trying to prove a point that wasnt even initiated.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Riding the clutch like that makes baby jesus cry.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its considered bad form from most racers... atleast road racers.. thats why they put deadpedals in.. so you can rest your foot on it, brace your leg in corners, ect..

now is it physically harmful to the LS1s hydraulic clutch? probly not.
is it harmful to some other clutches? yes. an example im fimilar with would be a 1974 trumph spitfire... amoung a few others.

but.. because its harmful to some, (yes, even with light pressure... remember 1lb of weight at the pedal might be 10lbs or more at the pressure plate) i can understand someone being upset about it.

so while it might not have hurt his car..... its still a bad habit to have.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
now is it physically harmful to the LS1s hydraulic clutch? probly not.

and this is not about habbit but anyway i agree

say your sorry ninetres

told you i wouldnt get clowned ninetres!
tondss=4
ninetres0

thank you!
Old 06-20-2006, 04:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TondSS
and this is not about habbit but anyway i agree

say your sorry ninetres

told you i wouldnt get clowned ninetres!
tondss=4
ninetres0

thank you!
No. Every sigle person said it was a bad habit. I told you I'm done with this thread because you insist on having your head up your ***, trying to prove why you are right......just like when you constantly tried to argue with everyone about your lugnut deal when all we wwere trying to do was help you.

I just counted all 3 other members that posted saying not to do it.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly, id ask you to not do it if it was my car too....

.... although i wouldnt be a lil bitch about it either and post it on LS1 tech.

i think you both should just kick each others asses, then go out and have a beer together.... lol
Old 06-20-2006, 05:15 PM
9 Second Club

honestly, id ask you to not do it if it was my car too....

.... although i wouldnt be a lil bitch about it either and post it on LS1 tech.

i think you both should just kick each others asses, then go out and have a beer together.... lol
Old 06-20-2006, 05:27 PM
10 Second Club

na its cool its not over if "its a bad habbit or not " its over if it hurts the clutch or not ! witch ive talk to several companies already and found out it doesnt hurt the clutch one bit with the hydraulic systems !
Old 06-20-2006, 05:31 PM
FormerVendor

because its harmful to some, (yes, even with light pressure... remember 1lb of weight at the pedal might be 10lbs or more at the pressure plate) i can understand someone being upset about it.

Exactly, that pretty much sums it up

Quick Reply: Clutch riding debate