Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Manual Driving Tips Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by black_knight
Good luck with that. The only way to be sure it's disengaged is to push it all the way to the floor. Jerkiness isn't caused by pushing it all the way to the floor; it's caused by how you push it and let back in.

Not pushing the clutch to the floor... good way to wreck things.
Does your clutch engage at the floor (when releasing)? I know my doesnt, neither does any car Ive ever driven. You push it just enough to where it disengages (which you should get a feel for). It doesnt hurt at all to push it all the way and Ill admit sometimes I do push it all the way (usually after someone has messed with my seat settings - Im pretty picky about that), but I prefer to get it right where it disengages.

No jerkiness is not caused by pushing it all the way to the floor, I said he may be experiencing it because he is either letting it out too fast or then releasing it slow. So yeah I agree its how you push it and let it out.

Pushing the clutch all the way to the floor is not always necessary. When I am just casually driving I know what my disengagement point is at. It is just something I know don't even have to think about it. The best advice anyone can give you is to learn the car. Practice driving as much as you can. After that just learn your car so you know where the clutch disengages at. As long as the tranny goes into gear smoothly your not hurting the tranny any. Now bouncing around on the clutch will beat the hell out of the clutch but everyone jerks around sometimes. Even after driving hundreds of manual cars I still jerk mine around every so often. Having a work out clutch doesn't help either. Just practice 1-3 shifts the rest are simple. Go out in a big parking lot somewhere and stop. Practice taking off in 1st over and over until you can get the car moving with minimal burn on the clutch. After that try taking off in 2nd. These cars have the torgue to take off just fine in 2nd it just takes a little more effort on the clutch. This will help you get your foot trained for holding the clutch while giving it gas.
I agree fully with that.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by c4hybrid2007
it seems u really know were im coming from. When upshifting, do u mean push the clutch in wait for the rpms to fall a bit then let the clutch out fast(almost pop it) and give gas, or let the rpms drop a bit and steadily let the clutch up while giving throttle? Any more tips as well i would appreciate it. Well gonna go to the grocery store. Practice time :-)
No under daily driving situations you shuld never pop the clutch that shuld never be done exept when you are racing and are trying to shift fast. the key to smooth shifting is is good coordination beetween gas pedal and clutch. when downshifting like when you are going up hills it is sufficient to just change the gear and let of the clutch slowly rpm matching isnt that important and you will get a feel for it

Originally Posted by Charging TA
The jerkiness you may be experiencing could actually be if you are pushing the clutch all the way to the floor (your foot action may be too slow, causing the car to buck a bit). No you dont need to push the clutch all the way to the floor, as Spuds said dont be afraid to use the clutch (its meant to be slipped, professional racing clutches cannot be slipped).

People will argue "dont downshift to slow the car", "push the clutch in all the way" stating everything causes excess wear... Heres a fact though: In Europe automatics are pretty rare (most being cars imported from the US), I dont believe Ive ever road with someone who doesnt downshift, pushing the clutch all the way to the floor may also cause you to want to release it faster and thus the jerkiness. Dont just pop your foot off the clutch or move it to the shift, just smoothly let it out while giving it a bit of throttle.
as a european i can wouch for that, nearly every car i drive is a manual also here in europe you have to learn to drive a stick while you are learning to drive. about the clutch to the floor there is one thing to think of.. in each car there is a different engagement point so it is a good habit to push the clutch all the way. i often dont push the clutch pedal all the way in but i allways push it way further than the engagement point and most ofthen there are just a few MM from the floor and the clutch pedal.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when letting the clutch engage during the 1 - 2 shift (and any other time for that matter), be sure to not use your ankle when letting the pedal up, it's ten times easier to steadily move your whole leg than pivot your ankle (later on you can mess with this a bit). In addition to that, you may be punchng the gas too aggressively once the clutch has engaged, be delicate. And yes, you will never reget getting the stick, matching revs and heel-toe downshifts are challenging to master, but usefull and fun to do. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2006, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does your clutch engage at the floor (when releasing)?
Just about. It's pretty new. But I pushed to the floor even on the stock clutch. There's no reason not to and it's better safe than sorry.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by black_knight
Just about. It's pretty new. But I pushed to the floor even on the stock clutch. There's no reason not to and it's better safe than sorry.
Damn, I believe my engages (by feel) right around half way up (I havent checked visually but thats going by feel). I can see where your coming from.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

jerky ride? bucking car? You drive a f-body, not a crown vic.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

One other thing you can do to help you learn is to just stop no gas or anything and slowly let up on the clutch when the car starts to move let your foot up about another inch and let the car pull itself once it is moving let off the clutch slowly and then your good to go just lean into the gas. If you let the clutch out to quick you will stall but these cars have enough torgue stock to pull the car with just the clutch. You can do this to help you get moving until you get a feel for where that clutch engages. Once you got the engagement point down then you can start leaning in on the gas to keep the rpms around 1100 - 1200 and slowly letting off the clutch for a nice smooth take off. You shouldn't have to rev the car to like 2 grand to get it moving you are using to much clutch then.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

There's nothing rocket science about driving a manual. Just don't make it harder than it is. It takes practice to learn. I bought my car almost 2 years ago and learned how to drive in it. It took me about 45minutes in a parking lot to learn the basics and be able to get around safely and not stall the car. Some may consider that as me being a fast learner on a manual. My response to them is it takes months and even years to get to the point of driving smoothly in a consistent manner and talk to someone at the same time. This was something I didn't expect, and I was pretty frustrated with myself at times, but it does come. Also, even those who are good at manuals still have their off days and not be as smooth or as quick during a race as others. It happens as we're just people, not machines. Maybe I hold myself to a high standard, but I also want to enjoy a stick shift to the fullest, not just be able to drive one.

Consider this as a lesson in patience. I'm lacking in this area, but once you're over it, you'll be sooo glad you chose the manual transmission over a slushbox. Hang in there and don't get discouraged.

Jason
Old 07-12-2006, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, I believe my engages (by feel) right around half way up (I havent checked visually but thats going by feel). I can see where your coming from.
Hah, you should have seen me after getting it back from the shop after 6 months. I was used to my pickup. Stalled it 4 times.

Quick Reply: Manual Driving Tips Please