Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Factory Hurst: VERY notchy on shifts or somethng wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Factory Hurst: VERY notchy on shifts or somethng wrong?

I just bought and installed a used factory hurst and ti is DEFINATELY a shorter throw than the stock shifter, but MAN is that thing NOTCHY. i like the shorter shifts, but on the stock shifter it seemed to go into gear MUCH easier, is this typical or is something possibly wrong with mine? I mean sometimes it is HARD to get in gear, maybe i am so used to the stock one that i dont know what an aftermarket shifter feels like. thanks!
Old 07-16-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

There should be nothing notchy about a stock hurst shifter. Its a world of a difference between the stock basic shifter though
Old 07-16-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Are you saying its hard to get into gear when you are standing still or when you are driving the car?

Andrew
Old 07-16-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Are you saying its hard to get into gear when you are standing still or when you are driving the car?

Andrew
its hard to get in gear when i am driving, it WILL go in gear but not "fluid", know what i mean? i mean the stock one just went right in and this one takes a LOT of effort to get it in
Old 07-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FSUNole17
its hard to get in gear when i am driving, it WILL go in gear but not "fluid", know what i mean? i mean the stock one just went right in and this one takes a LOT of effort to get it in
Did the shifter come pre-greased?? I know my Pro 5.0 came packed with white grease in the shifter mechanism, and I can imagine it would shift pretty hard without it.

The Hurst shifter is going to be somewhat more notchy and take slightly more effort to shift than the stock unit, due to the shortened throw and shorter shift handle. However, it shouldn't take "a lot of effort" by any means.

Make sure its greased up properly and that the shifter cup in the trans is okay and not frozen up, and if that doesn't fix it then there's probably something wrong/broken with the shifter.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
Did the shifter come pre-greased?? I know my Pro 5.0 came packed with white grease in the shifter mechanism, and I can imagine it would shift pretty hard without it.

The Hurst shifter is going to be somewhat more notchy and take slightly more effort to shift than the stock unit, due to the shortened throw and shorter shift handle. However, it shouldn't take "a lot of effort" by any means.

Make sure its greased up properly and that the shifter cup in the trans is okay and not frozen up, and if that doesn't fix it then there's probably something wrong/broken with the shifter.
gotcha, i will get a buddy of mine who is more mechanically inclined than i am to look at it. i did put some transmission fluid on the ball on teh end of the shifter that goes into the white cup to help it move smoother, i did check on the greased thing, but i will. thanks!
Old 07-16-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well jsut went for another drive and it seems to be getting worse, it is almost impossible to just slide the shifter into gear, every shift requires force and i feel EVERY bit of the shift, if that makes sense. anyone know what this might be besides what was earlier suggested as maybe it needs oiling?
Old 07-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

You could have a problem, but it can also be a perception issue. My brother complains about the notchiness of his 02 WS6 Hurst shifter, but it feels fine to me. Shift technique can also play a role. He tends to "pause" for a split second in the neutral position when he's shifting lugging around town - that tends to aggravate the notchy sensation.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RevGTO
You could have a problem, but it can also be a perception issue. My brother complains about the notchiness of his 02 WS6 Hurst shifter, but it feels fine to me. Shift technique can also play a role. He tends to "pause" for a split second in the neutral position when he's shifting lugging around town - that tends to aggravate the notchy sensation.
im gonna get my buddy to feel it and also feel my friends Hurst on his SS to compare, but i can almost guarantee you that it didnt mean to come off the factory line feeling this stiff.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Your not the only one with this problem man, I have a stock Hurst shifter and I get that notchy feeling. Sometimes my shifter will feel smooth as could be. Other times I haft to givet it a "LITTLE" pressure to get it in gear. Personally I think its how you drive the car sometimes. I like to shift at 2k RPM but I find if you run the RPM's up a little more it will help out. Oh and I also shift really slow in my car which doesn't help either.

Joel
Old 07-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ssmaro
Your not the only one with this problem man, I have a stock Hurst shifter and I get that notchy feeling. Sometimes my shifter will feel smooth as could be. Other times I haft to givet it a "LITTLE" pressure to get it in gear. Personally I think its how you drive the car sometimes. I like to shift at 2k RPM but I find if you run the RPM's up a little more it will help out. Oh and I also shift really slow in my car which doesn't help either.

Joel

Mine is notchy as well! Sometimes from a stop getting into first seems impossible . But it seems that the way it shifts when I drive definatly depends on where my RPMS are at when I shift. I was worried like you but this seems to be a common thing so I wouldnt freak out about it.

Quick Reply: Factory Hurst: VERY notchy on shifts or somethng wrong?