Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

1st...2nd....then went into reverse, instead of third ? OUCH

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I still had my stock shifter, I got it into the Reverse gate without letting the clutch completely out when trying to go into 5th. It happened 2 times in almost identical conditions (raining, same road, same time of day, right after coming back from costco, haha) and it made lots of noise. Since getting the 5.0, it hasn't happened.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

how the hell can you NOT tell the difference between going into 1st or reverse? theyre on complete opposite sides of the shift pattern. But neways, theres NO WAY you went into reverse from 2nd. practically impossibe even without a reverse lockout.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

if you did go from 1st to 2nd and then back down to 1st at WOT it would be a smart idea to pull the valve covers, remove the rockers and check all your pushrods. A LOT of people have bent pushrods that way!......just my .02

Brent
Old 07-17-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

You would have to be retarded to shift from 2nd to reverse. Now speaking of retards I've done the 1-2-1 shift. The rear end locked up and bounced around a little and swung out from behind me, I damn near hit the wall! It bounced off the rev limiter for a while because I tried to get control of the car before I pushed the clutch back in. I went and parked it and started it back up and it was fine. I felt like a jack *** though. Add me to the list of people that think you shifted back into 1st.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have missed 3rd and got the stick stuck in some sort of "no-mans-land" between 3rd and 5th.

My friends all said they saw the reverse lights come on for a sec.

The EXACT same thing has happened to a buddy of mine with another camaro....and another with a C5.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the rpms skyrocketed when you released the clutch it was probably 1st. If the rpms dropped really fast it could have been reverse. I would be really surprised if it was reverse.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

It's highly unlikely that you got it into reverse.

I can get it into reverse with one hand but with a LOT of force behind it. For most people it would take 2 hands. The force required to get past the reverse lockout is directly lateral to normal shifting. To crash the gate per say you'd have to be aiming to hit it on the side. Most people are pushing forward AND sideways for a 3rd gear shift thus already a good chunk of your single arm strength is NOT aimed at crashing the gate.

If you DID get it into reverse, there's no way your reverse gear would work again. It's NOT moving in the same direction as any of the other gears and would pretty much grenade the transmission.

The symptom you described as the car "bucking" and wheels hopping is a sure fire accidental shift into first from 2nd.

If your reverse lockout wasn't working and allowed you to crash easilly what makes you think it would magically fix itself now and prevent you from going into reverse? If it requires a lot of force now to get it into reverse when locked, odds are it was working at that time too.

I would say learn proper shift technique before getting on track again. A 2-3 shift requires you only guide the shifter into third not swing it across like a mad man and risk reverse.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ninetres
I have missed 3rd and got the stick stuck in some sort of "no-mans-land" between 3rd and 5th.

My friends all said they saw the reverse lights come on for a sec.

The EXACT same thing has happened to a buddy of mine with another camaro....and another with a C5.
My reverse lights also came on once when i missed third.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its pretty simple. If your B-U lights came on, the linkage was in the reverse gate. There is no other way that happens.Although it takes alot of load it is VERY possible to get reverse while going forward at a good clip. In fact, at 35mph or less, you can fully engage reverse ( you had better be VERY ready if you let the clutch out). Generally a mis shift into reverse will not get the gear , just a clash. People who do this often are the ones who eventually complain of hard to get into reverse/ clashing into reverse shifts. Thats because the clutch teeth on the gear are so dubbed over, the sleeve has difficulty sliding onto the gear.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

btw, i saw a couple people mention one, but there is NOT a first gear lockout on these cars......
Old 07-18-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats true( 1st lock out) this function is left up to the operator.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Launching!

if the tires hopped, I'd say you went 1-2-1. Did it hit the rev limiter, and wheel hop the tires? I'd pull the covers and check the push rods either way. R is not meant to go the speed of top of 2nd so either way it would have slammed the limiter, fuel cutoff etc.

Check those pushrods... TRUST ME. I've been there on a 3-2 shift... its scary as **** to hit 2nd after being WOT in 3rd...
Old 07-18-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did some more tersting and I found out that I can go backinto first while car is moving, ya you guys are right , it went back into first. I don't have any engine problems. Car still runs great, don't have any engine noise or gear problems.

I am going back this friday to Cayuga to do some more practicing.

thanks Warren

****I also have a 5.0 shout shifter coming soon too!****
Old 07-18-2006, 02:49 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by SladeX
sounds more like a 2nd to 1st shift lol
You probably just reversed in your pants.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wildta
Today driving car i was trying to see if i could put care in reverse while driving down the road

The good thing is, it looks like you didn't release the clutch. If you did, then your rpm's would have shot way up and you would have some bent pushrods.

Also, do the drill mod.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

hey just realized you're canadian lol!

when you headed out next to Cayuga?

Quick Reply: 1st...2nd....then went into reverse, instead of third ? OUCH