Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 no 5th/6th or downshift after "rebuild"

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 no 5th/6th or downshift after "rebuild"

My T56 will not go into 5th or 6th nor will it downshift into any gear except 4th. This is at speed. When the car is moving very slowly or is stopped it will go into all gears.

This is after a rebuild that I may or may not have needed (turns out the problem was the pinion bearing). It will be corrected at no charge.

Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks!
Chris

PS: The T56 and LT1 are in a Volvo! Volvo 740 Wagon
Old 10-10-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a lot of things.. the 5/6 problem sounds like a possible shift linkage problem, or maybe the keys/snap rings on the collars weren't rebuilt properly. The downshifting problems are either incorrect synchro rebuild, or possibly incorrect fluid (?). Short answer is that the trans needs to be pulled apart and correct assembly needs to be verified. If I were you I'd be looking for a new shop to do your trans work.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,

Did they replace the slider for the 5/6 gear? Were the blocker rings changed? Sounds like a worn blocker ring or possibly an issue with the slider. Check those 2 for sure.

Thanks,
Amber
T56Rebuilds.com
Old 10-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

I was told they replaced the synchronizers (they did mention carbon fiber) and the "3rd gear cluster". That is all I know. I did ask for the old parts which I did not receive.

...and yes I am kicking myself that I did not use T56rebuilds. Since the car was a fleaBay purchase I needed to get the cause of the problem fast, and since I didn't put the car together I wasn't confident to take it apart.

Did the trans really need to be rebuilt? I don't know. It was hard to get it into reverse, that is the only trans problem I noticed. The initial problem (a loud gear whine) was the rearend (which I replaced myself).

No more letting non-experts touch my junk!

Chris
Old 10-10-2006, 03:39 PM
FormerVendor

The 3rd gear does not have a cluster. There is a main cluster that controls 1-4 but who knows. It might not have needed a rebuild but now there is no tellings.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 10-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Supposedly it is fixed after an external adjustment (without taking the T56 out of the car). Any ideas what was wrong?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-16-2006, 02:08 PM
FormerVendor

Augh, you can not make an adjustment to the trans without taking it out to the internals! Did they tell you what they did? I would sure ask. Sounds fishy to me.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 10-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe they pulled the extension housing off with the t56 in the car? I'll ask what was done but I don't expect much of an answer.

The problem is when I asked if the shop (a driveshaft shop) could rebuild the T56 (after their MISdiagnosis of the noise being in the T56) he said yes. What he should have said is "we can farm it out to a transmission shop"... thus the guy I'm talking to doesn't know jack about rebuilding a transmission.

How should I test the repair when I test drive the car? Shift it under various loads?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
Augh, you can not make an adjustment to the trans without taking it out to the internals!
I was mistaken, he did have the trans out. He said the transmission shop tightened one thing and loosened another (or maybe moved shims around?)... but as I said the guy I'm talking to is clueless.

The T56 seems to shift fine now and is easier to get into reverse than before the work.

Chris
Old 10-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chree
The problem is when I asked if the shop (a driveshaft shop) could rebuild the T56 (after their MISdiagnosis of the noise being in the T56) he said yes. What he should have said is "we can farm it out to a transmission shop"... thus the guy I'm talking to doesn't know jack about rebuilding a transmission.

simalar thing happend to me guy at the tranny shop told me he could rebuild it for $300 well $1500 later it still dont work and he told me he never did a t56 before and cant even figure out how it works so im doing it myself with a little help from t56rebuilds who i shouldve went to first and by the way they have the best cust. service ive ever seen
Old 10-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jd783
simalar thing happend to me guy at the tranny shop told me he could rebuild it for $300 well $1500 later it still dont work and he told me he never did a t56 before and cant even figure out how it works so im doing it myself with a little help from t56rebuilds who i shouldve went to first and by the way they have the best cust. service ive ever seen
... and as luck would have it I now have a noise on deceleration. I had someone ride in the car to make sure it wasn't the rearend or something else. It is defintely the T56.

Kill me. Kill me now.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:03 AM
FormerVendor

What does the noise sound like? Did he use any bronze fork pads or carbon blockers?

Amber
Old 10-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
What does the noise sound like? Did he use any bronze fork pads or carbon blockers?

Amber
It's a chirpy or squeal noise. It happens only when coasting in gear (zero throttle).

It's probably safe to assume bronze fork pads or carbon blockers were not used.

Chris
Old 10-19-2006, 12:08 PM
FormerVendor

Could be a bearing going bad. Hard to tell without listening to it. Might want to take it back to them before something happens to it.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 10-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Driveshaft guy says he thinks something is rubbing in the tunnel. I'm dropping the car back off Monday. I think it is in the T56 because I heard it briefly on startup (when the car was not moving). It mainly does it when I let off the throttle in gear.

Here is the noise:
http://media.putfile.com/T56-no-load
http://media.putfile.com/T56-no-load-1
http://media.putfile.com/T56-no-load-2

Chris
Old 10-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

"You're not going to believe this, but it was an exhaust leak. We tightened the exhaust and the noise is gone."

Do those clips sound like an exhaust leak??? Why would exhaust leak only on deceleration?

Maybe the braking load on the engine tweaked the headers such that the loose spot on the collector was opened up?

I'm confused ... but if the noise is gone I'm not asking any questions.

Chris

Quick Reply: T56 no 5th/6th or downshift after "rebuild"