Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 04:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch replacement question

I just has an issue with my clutch pedal getting stuck on the floor. figured it's time to replace the slave cylinder. anyhow i'm figuring while I'm in there I'll upgrade the clutch since I have a SPEC 2 clutch lying around. I read all th posts about proper shimming and noticed my kit came with 2 .115" stel shims that I presume go behind the slave cylinder. are these the shims everybody is talking about and am I suppos to use both of them? it would seem like a really thick stack of shims if I use both of them.

I am also going to replace the master cylinder with the RAM adjustable unit just incase along with an aluminum flywheel. anyone have anythoughts on these? the car is primaraly an autocross car with a virtually stock engine.

thanx
Old 12-18-2006, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

anyone?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

i would say only put 1 because when they resurface the flywheel they dont take that much off. as to where to put them i dont know the mechanic that did mine said he but them behind the flywheel because he had tried some that went behind the slave and broke it. but if they are specialy made for the slave then they should go there. i would give spec a call just to make sure. i have the ram adjustabe it prety cool.

Last edited by 6-Speed Terror; 12-18-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Launching!

im in the exact same boat as you, slave went out so im going to put the spec 3 i've had lying around in with it, but i've never torn this car apart and im sure there will be some hassles that i have yet to think of.

ill be tearing mine apart at the end of this week and ill let you know how it goes.....
Old 12-18-2006, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

kewl er or bummer
lemmie know how it goes. are you changing the flywheel and master cylinder as well?
Old 12-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Launching!

yep, i have a spec billet flywheel, and a mcleod adjustable master cylinder on its way
Old 12-18-2006, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

Can't help you with the shims. However, I just did a Wagner Master on mine and I recommend it with any clutch replacement. Its not really that bad and installuniversity.com has a great write up on how to do it. If you do the master, don't be afraid to get rought with the two bolt gold clip under the dash and pay attention as to how the rod fits into the clutch pedal so you will remember how to clip it back up. Other than just work it to get it in and out and take your time.

Josh
Old 12-18-2006, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

yea I read the write up on the master installation. I am thinking about getting the RAM one as it seems to be a adjustable verson of the stock one. way cheaper then the Mcleod one. I was hoping there were others here that have tried it.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Launching!

i bought a new slave from the local chevy dealership today and the people there said the 98-99 slave is all they have, and the 00-02 slave part number supercieds(sp) to the old part number, so i had no choice but to get the 98-99 slave. bah.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SoCal01z28
i bought a new slave from the local chevy dealership today and the people there said the 98-99 slave is all they have, and the 00-02 slave part number supercieds(sp) to the old part number, so i had no choice but to get the 98-99 slave. bah.

you still might have the newer unit as it has been replaced by the newer number.

I just orderd a remote bleeder hose that moves the clutch bleeder outside the bellhousing.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kookamunga
you still might have the newer unit as it has been replaced by the newer number.

I just orderd a remote bleeder hose that moves the clutch bleeder outside the bellhousing.
hopefully, either way its going in. i got the master cylinder today, so all the parts are stacked in the corner waiting to go in, thursday its getting torn down so ill get back to this thread then....
Old 12-20-2006, 04:22 AM
On The Tree

kewl hope things go well, my stuf was just orderd today and should arrive by the end ofthis week. I'll post back when the installation begins.

thanx to Sam Strano for his great service in getting things to me in such a short time during the holidays.

I'll post pics of the remote bleeder as well as soon as it arrives.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Launching!

ok. trans is out, master cylinder is out. pretty much everything but the flywheel and pilot bearing. everything went pretty smooth except removing the bellhousing and the 6 stitches i had to get earlier , i also got 1 shim with my clutch kit and im still really not sure whether to use it or not, that and im anticipating removing the pilot bearing being a major bitch. those are pretty much my last obstacles.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:47 AM
On The Tree

from what they say the shim is recomended. they also said it's a good idea to replace the slave at the same time since your'e in there and the GM one comes with a new TO bearing. another good idea is to get the remote bleeder line to make bleeding of the clutch an easy operation.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

woo hoo got all the parts in to do the job next week.

This is the RAM Master Cylinder and ARP bolts. looks like GM one with a threaded rod.

replacement slave cylinder with Steve D's remote bleeder line. slick unitthat allows you to place the clutch bleeder anywhere you want, even the engine compartment.

thanx to Strano, the WS6 Store and Steve D for geting everything to me in time.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Launching!

the slave went out on me, thats the whole reason i tore it all down. its all back together and on the road again, the clutch is chattering a lot but hopefully it'll go away after breakin, good luck with yours
Old 12-25-2006, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SoCal01z28
the slave went out on me, thats the whole reason i tore it all down. its all back together and on the road again, the clutch is chattering a lot but hopefully it'll go away after breakin, good luck with yours
thanx, hopefully everything goes well.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:52 AM
Launching!

hey do yourself a favor and get your assembly balanced, my assembly definatly feels out of balance, the engine has a nice vibration now and the chatter is so bad the whole car jar's up and down a couple inches during engagment.im tearing mine back down starting tonight, damn spec.....
Old 12-27-2006, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

crap too late now I just dropped it of at the shop this morning *sigh* gonna find out tomorrow how it goes. cross your fingers for me and thanx for the heads up anyway
Old 12-27-2006, 02:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kookamunga
crap too late now I just dropped it of at the shop this morning *sigh* gonna find out tomorrow how it goes. cross your fingers for me and thanx for the heads up anyway
well from what i've read, some are balanced and some are way off from spec, so hopefully you got a good one, but buying a product new shouldn't be like rolling the dice to hopefully get what you paid for