Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 installation assistance requested

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation T56 installation assistance requested

I'm in the process of installing my T56. I installed a new pilot bushing with the taper facing to the rear of the car. I'm using a Textralia clutch set. Flywheel, pressure plate, and bell housing have been bolted up and torqued to specs. The alignment tool was used to hold everything in place while being bolted. Placed the transmission into place and started going in. I'm getting about 1/2" or more away from having the transmission mate up to the bell housing. I found a thread mentioning to open the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder. Done that and that's when I get the closes to mating up. Pulled the transmission back. I can see where the input spline is starting. It also looks like the end of the input shaft is going into the pilot bushing about an 1/2". My buddy was placing is feet at the tailshaft and saying it felt like bottoming out but the transmission is still not mating up.

Is there a possibility that this is a different input shaft? Does anyone know the length of the nipple on the input shaft before the start of the splines.

Is this an alignment issue?

Or that I not overcomed the tension of the spring of the slave cylinder?

Or is there another issue? I've read the threads stating that the can go back in hard. The car is on jack stands in the garage.

Any input, tips, advice is greatly appreciated. I'm attempting to have the TA back on the road by this weekend before returning to work.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

As far as getting the trans to slide in, I didn't open the bleeder, but I guess it wouldn't hurt. I got the output shaft started about 1/2 inch and then wiggle the motor up an down gently while simultaneously pulling on the trans, and it slid right it easy. I was initially trying to just manipulate the trans only without success, but the motor wiggle trick helped out. You may want to give it a shot.

Last edited by MrEddie; 12-21-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Well.... Believe it or not... I sucked mine in w/ two bolts... *puts flame suit on*

I KNOW I'm NOT supposed to do that, but it went in smooth. I was in a time crunch, the hobby center was going to close soon. FWIW If I would have felt it bind up in anyway, I was not going to force it. I lewbed it up w/ some white lith really good. Gouped some in the PB also. I think it just needs to compress the slave a little bit. You might be fighting spring pressure on the slave and/or clutch pressure plate.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Launching!

I just finished putting my transmission back in the car after installing a Mc cloud SFI rated bellhousing and a spec stage 3 clutch and spec steel flywheel. I lubed the splines on the input shaft and a little in the pilot bearing just like the manual says to do. After getting the transmission up and started into the splines of the clutch it stopped about 1/4 inch from mating up to the bellhousing, so I put 4 bolts in it ,two on each side and it slid the rest of the way no problem with no binding what so ever. I would suggest trying the same thing and see how it goes, it it feels like it not going smooth just stop. Hope this helps you out!
Old 12-21-2006, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Sounds good, going to have my friend help me in the morning for round two. I am going to make sure the transmission is in gear so I can turn the input shaft by using the yoke on the tailshaft. I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Launching!

You can accomplish the same result using a 24 mm socket on the balancer bolt, just a thought. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2006, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

I can turn the crankshaft of the motor and it turns the tail shaft of the tranny. Unfortanely, I'm still 1/2" from having the slave cylinder touch the fingers of the pressure plate. Bolts are little over 1/2" from reaching the bellhousing. Been pushing with our legs at the tailshaft and everything is solid. Any more suggestions?????
Old 12-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Try inserting the alignment tool again to make sure everthing on the clutch is where it should be. If that checks out ok, use a small amount of lithium grease or high temp grease on the splines on the input shaft and DO NOT pack the pilot bearing with grease as this can cause a hydroloc situation. If you did fill it full of grease clean it out and try again. Also sometimes it helps to wiggle the tranmission from side to side as well as up and down.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Zitty'sZ,
We are in the process of taking the clutch out. Found metal shavings in the pilot bushing. Once the clutch is out, then I'm going to check the clutch plate splines to the input shaft and the pilot bushing to input shaft. Might have the wrong pilot bushing.

Quick Reply: T56 installation assistance requested