Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

who else is using the Spec Super twin?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KtownGoat
I am supposed to have the same carbon graphite, BUT my disks look alot different for some reason...
Do you have any pics?
Old 10-30-2007, 04:18 AM
Staging Lane

yeah Ill post some up when i get home
Old 11-06-2007, 02:43 AM
Staging Lane

Just got back today, pics are gonna be up tonite!
Old 11-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Here are the pics

Attached Thumbnails who else is using the Spec Super twin?-img_1488.jpg  
Old 11-06-2007, 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

Those are the Carbon-Graphite pucked discs. This is the second available option on the Super-Twin. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2007, 04:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

mine is on its way
Old 11-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Staging Lane

Good Luck! What type of disks did you get?
Old 03-16-2008, 02:41 PM
FormerVendor

I'm bringing this one up from the dead..

I got this clutch right around 3/07. But the car has only had VERY VERY few miles put on it since then.

My problems are EXACTLY the same as everyone else. VERY VERY high pedal. I finally got around to calling SPEC about the issue a couple weeks ago (Just havent had time)

Although they did issue me an RMA #, I originally got the "Impression" that it was an isolated situation..Then I see this thread..

Obviously, this is NOT the case..

Anyways, add one more to the bunch..

BUT......
SPEC has been GREAT at handling the issue. As soon as I gave them the measurements, I was immediatly told what the problem was, and that it would be corrected.

This has nothing to do with LS1/LS2 differences.

My car is an LS1 car, with an LSx motor. Dimensionally, there is ZERO difference. Its mearly a stack height issue. No biggie.

On a side note, I've run MANY clutches, and even with the high pedal, it is BY FAR the best clutch i've ever owned..

I'll update you when I get it back..
Old 03-16-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
I'm bringing this one up from the dead..

I got this clutch right around 3/07. But the car has only had VERY VERY few miles put on it since then.

My problems are EXACTLY the same as everyone else. VERY VERY high pedal. I finally got around to calling SPEC about the issue a couple weeks ago (Just havent had time)

Although they did issue me an RMA #, I originally got the "Impression" that it was an isolated situation..Then I see this thread..

Obviously, this is NOT the case..

Anyways, add one more to the bunch..

BUT......
SPEC has been GREAT at handling the issue. As soon as I gave them the measurements, I was immediatly told what the problem was, and that it would be corrected.

This has nothing to do with LS1/LS2 differences.

My car is an LS1 car, with an LSx motor. Dimensionally, there is ZERO difference. Its mearly a stack height issue. No biggie.

On a side note, I've run MANY clutches, and even with the high pedal, it is BY FAR the best clutch i've ever owned..

I'll update you when I get it back..
Hmmm.. Jeremy at spec told me it was because of a ls2 vs ls1 differance?

So why dose it work on ls1's but they have to machine it down to work on ls2's and ls2 style Lsx blocks?? I'm not saying your wrong just stating what I was told.

Last edited by 1Hotbird; 03-16-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:47 PM
FormerVendor

The crank that the flywheel bolts to is the EXACT same crank as the one in the LS1,LS6, and ALL LS2's. (with the exception of the reluctor wheel)

The Slave and throwout bearing is the EXACT same slave that is used from 1997-2004. On the LS2 cars, the slave/TB is different (and possibly the output shaft)

I could see how the arguement could be made that the clutch has interferance with the LS2's due to differences in slave/TB, and output shaft.

But my car is a 100% through and through LS1, the only difference being that the motor is an LS2/LS7 platform. (which has exactly ZERO effect on the flywheel placement, because I could pull my crank and toss it in ANY LS1)
Originally Posted by 1Hotbird
Hmmm.. Jeremy at spec told me it was because off a ls2 vs ls1 differance?

So why dose it work on ls1's but they have to machine it down to work on ls2's and ls2 style Lsx blocks?? I'm not saying your wrong just stating what I was told.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

So I must have ordered a ls2 slave?? Because the disks and the stack hight was the same between the two clutches exept for the differance from the 1/4 grove or "bowl" they cut into the flywheel?

The crank that the flywheel bolts to is the EXACT same crank as the one in the LS1,LS6, and ALL LS2's. (with the exception of the reluctor wheel)

The Slave and throwout bearing is the EXACT same slave that is used from 1997-2004. On the LS2 cars, the slave/TB is different (and possibly the output shaft)

I could see how the arguement could be made that the clutch has interferance with the LS2's due to differences in slave/TB, and output shaft.

But my car is a 100% through and through LS1, the only difference being that the motor is an LS2/LS7 platform. (which has exactly ZERO effect on the flywheel placement, because I could pull my crank and toss it in ANY LS1)
Old 03-16-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another question;
I know its possible to use any ls1 crank, but is the block shorter where the trannmission bolts to it?? That would push the transmission closer to the engine causing this problem? I don't know Im just asking???

Old 03-16-2008, 07:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We sent one of ours back (after 2 years and alot of miles) for a rebuild even though it didn't need it. Came back even better with the top of the line disks,machined flywheel and new plates. After 800 miles so far it grabs 1/2 way off the floor. For the most aggressive setup they offer this clutch is extremely streetable.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:11 PM
FormerVendor

I'm excited to get mine back..

I should only be better..

Its unfortunate though that we are stuck with shipping to them and 100% of the labor. I kinda wished they did what AFR did when they found an issue with their heads. They assisted in labor..

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
We sent one of ours back (after 2 years and alot of miles) for a rebuild even though it didn't need it. Came back even better with the top of the line disks,machined flywheel and new plates. After 800 miles so far it grabs 1/2 way off the floor. For the most aggressive setup they offer this clutch is extremely streetable.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

I've got one for sale....

Up for sale is a complete Spec Super Twin Disc LS2/LS7 clutch. This is a P-trim clutch model#SC66PT. It retails for $1599. I purchased it form a local forum member after he decided he needed to convert his 07 C6Z to an auto after 1,500 short miles of break in.

It is in GREAT! shape. It comes complete with the billet pressure plate, both discs, floater plate AND steel flywheel as a BALANCED assembly. I recently sent it back to Jeremy at SPEC for a full check and balance just to make sure it was up to proper specifications in regards to install height and disc material wear and balance prior to install. ( I'm a little **** like that).

Why am I selling? I purchased this for a my LS7 F-body swap but the F-body is gone and now I'll be installing my LS7 into a new JSB Z06 ( purchased last week) I've decided to step up to the Exedy triple at the recomemdation of my tuner who will be doing the R&R on my car. I have a few slightly dirty pics of the unit but none of the disc/floater components ( e-mail me for pics w/ your current e-mail address)

SPEC contacted me late last week to tell me it all looks great with VERY minimal wear on the discs. Jeremy said it looks like it was broken in perfectly and is ready to be installed, no changes or upgrades needed.

$850 shipped ( Insured via Fed-Ex) will get this beauty to your front door. I do accept pay-pal as well. If no takers it will go on E-bay.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Can somebody tell me the difference between the LS1 and LS2 clutches? AND / OR The difference between a SPEC SC09PT (ls1) and a SC66PT (ls2)? Meaning I had an LS2 flywheel with an LS7 clutch on my LS1, it worked fine, when I swapped the clutch onto a 416 (LS3/L92), it also worked fine. Now, time for new clutch, I order a SC66PT (LS2) I am having the same issues with the high grabbing. I don't want to get into a "well you ordered the wrong part number" debate with spec. Why won't the two part numbers interchande? BTW I E-mailed SPEC this and got no reply.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:38 PM
Teching In

This clutch still available does it work with ls1
Old 10-05-2015, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know if Spec revised this clutch? I know it sounds like a stupid question but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Sounded like a nightmare of a problem.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Does anyone know if Spec revised this clutch? I know it sounds like a stupid question but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Sounded like a nightmare of a problem.
I'm wondering the same thing, this is a pretty old thread and I'm pretty sure the clutch comes as a kit now with the flywheel and slave so there are no problems. This thread was started 7+ years ago so I'm sure they revised it since then. Thinking about putting this lightweight setup behind my 416 build for light street/ autocross/ strip duty but having a hard time finding more reviews on it.

Quick Reply: who else is using the Spec Super twin?