Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

5th gear issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th gear issue

Seems that today when I was going from 2nd to 5th something seriously went wrong. Everytime I try to shift into 5th when the engine rpms are over like 12-1500 it bangs the gears. Doesnt matter how far I press in the clutch, every other gear works fine.

When I go from 1st - 2nd - 3rd - 5th it bangs em.. when I go 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th it bangs em etc.. Only time it doesnt do it is if I go from 1st barely start 2nd hold in cluthc for rpms to drop to near 1k then I hit 5th.

Does this mean I blew out my 5th gear? When its in 5th gear it works fine.. or did I mess up my clutch somehow.. seems though I would notice the clutch issue in every gear.. and First time with a m6 so never experienced what losing a gear feels like etc.

So anything you guys can come up with that might help give me a clue or where or what to search to find out what I might need

thanks
Old 06-12-2007, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

sounds like a bad synchro to me.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

ok, so can I do a search here for synchro and maybe find a write up on how to swap it out etc? will I need to take out the tranny and go into it to change it, or is the synchro somewhere else?

Im real green to this stuff but in the next couple weeks about about to make one helluva home garage to start to leanr about this stuff.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

While im going to be doing this.. it has the stock clutch and it had 38k on the clock and its a 99 trans am. should I update the clutch n master cylinder etc to the LS7 one?

Only other opower mods plammed inthe future are heads. shooting for maybe 450hp or so if lucky.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

synchro is internal, tranny needs to be dropped and cracked upen by a shop. if you are a noob to trannys, i highly suggest paying a shop to fix it rather than try to do it yourself. you will save alot of money though if you pull the tranny and reinstall it yourself. im going through tranny issues myself, im familiar enough with cars, but still feel more comfortable having a pro do it. just my .02.... if you want to try and tackle it youreself more power to you!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

chuckles.. we have to start somewhere, but yea I did see the pics of that ones guys thread where he had em all lined out on cardboard.. wow scary. Any recommended reading or manuals for it? maybe the big heavy service manual things.. forgot the names/company that publishes em.

Im in no real hurry and I really want to start learning this crap and enjoy the work. Just lacking the experience and some of the tools/equipment needed.

Had hoped to wait till december to get that kwiklift and tranny jack and etc.. but looks like I might need it sooner than expected hehe.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

heres a rebuild manual on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T-56-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

its the synchros. I am having GM fix mine right now b/c i have a warrenty on it, after i let my 5th gear go, the 4th gear one is starting to go now too, so i'd recommend fixing it asap
Old 06-13-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Yea I have the car parked for now. Waiting ordering and clearin out the garage before I talk to amber I guess and figure out what parts Ill need to pull the tranny and do the overhaul/rebuild.