Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Reverse Idle Gear (thrust washers?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Reverse Idle Gear (thrust washers?)

I am rebuiling my first T56 (I bought it completely disassemblied btw) and need some help.

I have a problem installing a new tailhousing bushing. It keeps bending into the oil galley when I press it in and this prevends the driveshaft from sliding in since it binds it up a tad.

Also, their is no room to install the two thrust washers for the reverse idler gear per the rebuild manual. If I leave both the washers off then the gear plate will fit. Do I just leave the thrust washers off??

JD
Old 06-20-2007, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Old 06-24-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I took my idler gear out and found a washer on each side. Just one on each side though. It appears they do spin so it's probably a good thing to have them in there to keep the gear or shaft from wearing the case.

I did notice that when I was putting the shaft back in that the idler gear sits on that I didn't get it full seated the first time.

I also noticed that the idler gear wouldn't seat fully down unless the funnel is fulley seated along with the spacers/bearings above it.

Maybe one of these things is keeping it from sitting down far enough that the spacers will be needed.

Did you figure out what is going on with the rear mainshaft bearing?
Old 07-01-2007, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

See the gap in the bottom image? It will not close up beyond this. This is with only one washer installed. Looking at the wear on the tailhousing and the back of the plate it looks like it didn't have washer installed. I bought this tranny disassemblied so I can only go by the rebuild book. It is like the gear is too thick or the washers are.
I really need help with this problem. Anyone??

The rear tailhousing bushing you buy at any parts store is for the auto not the M6. They are all listed wrong. It comes with the auto real seal btw which is flat and not coned like the M6 one. The bushing is a tad thicker. It fits over the driveshaft (I.D. is the same) but the O.D. is too much for the M6 tailhousing. GM does not sell this bushing seperate. I tried the rockland bushing also and it caved like the rest. I am going to take it to a machine shop and see if I can have it honed to fit the bushing everyone sells.

Last edited by PoorMan; 07-01-2007 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Teching In

The GM Transmission repair manual for 2001 doesn't show the washers.
See Drawing
Old 07-02-2007, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Allvette
The GM Transmission repair manual for 2001 doesn't show the washers.
See Drawing

All be damn. I think I bought a trans that is a mix of parts from different years. Thanks for the reply. Tag says 97 but it had an ls1 front plate. Looks to have an ls1 tailhousing too now.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

learn something new everyday. lol
Sounds like that's your answer.
Let us know how it turns out
Old 07-06-2007, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

I took it to D&D performance transmission and it looks like the reverse idler gear was changed on the LS1. It is not as thick and uses thrust washers. The older LT1 was thicker and didnt use them. I was trying to use thrust washers with an LT1 gear. The gear count and pitch is the same just the middle part is different.

Quick Reply: T56 Reverse Idle Gear (thrust washers?)