Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

TEX twin exoskel at nearly 400 miles review.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default TEX twin exoskel at nearly 400 miles review.

I have tex twin. Posted a few times. I have nearly 400 miles on it now.
The good. Pedal pressure is pretty light no problem with that.
Power handling ,its supposed to take big power, thats why i bought it.

The bad. I am hating the floater rattle! With the t tops off and stereo donw its damn annoying and worse if there is anything next to the car to amplify the sound. I can drown it out with stereo or opening my cutout and it only makes the racket when you push in the clutch but now with ram, fidanza and few others advertising no or near zero floater rattle with new designs tex really needs to step up and offer modifed twin to their customers. This feels like old tech and I just bought it and it just came out.

Now the even more bad. First 20 miles were nearly undriveable. Glad was driving in industrial deserted part of town as it would have been hell in traffic. Then it seemed to improve for next hundred or so. Then at 300 or so it seemed ot get really grabby and now at near 400 still no good. I can't really slip it and leave at low rpm. This thing is hell to put on a driveon hoist which just used to get my cutout installed. Its hell to go up and out of my hilly driveway. Its hell in any heavy traffic. I am praying to god and I am not religious man that it improves significantly and will give it maybe till 1000 miles to become streetable and mean fully streetable.Able to slip it nicely at 1000 or just over and to go with it thru heavy traffic, up my driveway,etc. I would be thrilled if the floater rattle went away but thats hoping for the impossible I think.
I have had a few emails with tex and the did seem to be on here regularly not sure why they aren't now. On to different pastures. who knows. The time change is annoying to try to talk to them .I have had a few emails answered by peter pretty promptly but had other emails ignored or whatever.

He mentioned they had street discs for the twins like the x and y but no pricing or info on the sight.I would have chosen street discs. My build was a bit too much power for the oz700 and so went to the twin for not much more money.Think that was a huge mistake. I also think they need to put out a revision and either give it or sell it cheap to people like me that hate floater rattle. I thought it was going to sound mabye well not sure what thought it would sound like .Floater rattle is too mellow a word. Its more like floater racket that sounds like your car is falling apart. And while you can take foot off at lights stuck in traffic you are always pushing in the clutch. They need a redesign and quick. I am not happy with my twin. I might say I am unhappy enough wish could get money back and try a fidanza or ram twin or mcleod. Anything that dont' have the floater rattle and is actually street friendly.
So tex if you read this please offer me and others your street discs for this exoskel and a redesigned clutch with no or very low floater rattle.
If you don't you will likely start to loose customers. Now maybe at 500 or 1000 miles my clutch is going to magically start becomming more street friendly. I will be happy to add to this review if it does. I am doing or trying to do lots of slow low rpm type of things to break it in. Not tracking it and not dumping it at like 5000 rpm but am tempted to try that stufff as am getting desperate. Am getting tired of trying to stay out of traffic. Its not easy or fun.
Well enough said.
Will likely send this email to textralia and see what response I get. And pretty sure its not install error. I did pretty much everthing possible and also got zero instructions for the twin in the box and have never gotten any since. They have no twin instructions on their website. I did see some oz700 instructions but twin might have some stuff different.I torqued to spec,star pattern, I used red loctite pressure plate and flywheel. I used new hydrauilcs.I have no problems going into gear .Just the lack of streetability and the floater noise are my two main beefs and maybe the price.This thing was not cheap! Over 1200 US. If they don't give me street discs for it and redesign them so they don't rattle and offer a free upgrade then will yank this sucker out ,try a fidanza twin or go to a 480 and stall and be done with this clutch crap!
Maybe I am just not as hardcore as I thought I was but this thing supposedly is streetable after some break in miles. Anyone else with one and more miles please chime in and let me know if and when you can drive your street twin in heavy traffic ,up a driveway that is steep or onto a hoist at shop. And if you hate or don't notice your floater rattle. I can't see it getting any quieter as the clutch wears in but I can hope I guess.

Last edited by MY99TAWS6; 06-29-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Exoskel in my 2001 Vette. I have around 5000 miles on it. My clutch has a extremely hard pedal, and the rattle is so bad I have to put in neutral and let the clutch out rolling up to stops, then push the clutch back in and put it in gear releasing the clutch quick, just so people around me don't hear my clutch clanking around as much. If I was to sit at a stop with the clutch pushed in, People would be thinking what a POS.

My clutch is not street friendly at all. If you let out on the clutch and try to take off, the car will jar your teeth out. the hole car will shake. I have to rev the car and slip the clutch to even get a half *** smooth take off.

I took this car on the Hot Rod Power Tour and let me tell you, I thought my leg was going to fall off. Trying to slip the clutch, putting it in neutral at stops, trying to never have the clutch pushed in, and having such a stiff pedal, WTF.

To sum this up
This clutch makes a lot of noise
Has a stiff pedal
Very grabby

Now you have heard all the bad points.

Here are the good
THIS CLUTCH DOES NOT SLIP

YOU LET IT OUT, ITS NOT GOING TO SLIP
Old 06-28-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Well there you go..5000 milies and still the same.The rattle is not going to go away as it gets more miles. Had some hopes but no longer. My pedal pressure so far is acutually pretty good .But I do put car in neutral at lights. And don't doubt it will hold some power. But street friendly not even close. And its like you said.You have to go high on rpm to leave even decently smooth and that is not very easy in heavy traffic. Tex needs to do a few things asap. The need to advertise this thing as a track only clutch. They need to mention the annoying POS rattling that it does.
They need to redesign like ram and fidanza so it don't have the annoying POS rattling that is already old tech now. They need to offer street discs for it which Peter said they have but its not on website or at any of the dealers info. And they should at least include instructions with their clutches or on the website for the twin. If I had a choice would have took street disc twin.
So now not sure what I have to look forward to .Figured with more miles it would at least maybe get street friendly.
On top of it I think my car is messed up right now. I think its got vacuum leak or maybe spark plug problem. That is making it even worse to try to drive it with this clutch. I thought this clutch would be THE ONE. ..sounded like most people really liked their oz700 but the oz700 is a bit under the power handling I wanted.

Well likely do what I always do..sell my new mods at a loss. And really think going auto now. Once find out if a 480 will fit with my new turbos.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not trying to be an *** or anything:

but could you do a cliff's notes of that first post for those who dont have much time?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Umm not trying to be an *** either but did you not learn reading in school. I type fast and my spelling is pretty good. If the posts are too long don't read them.
How is your tex doing..you have the oz700 ? Which disc again?
Old 06-28-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok update: I have had call from Peter at textralia..he is head honcho and this is second time I have talked to him. He has been very nice and think we have worked out something that might do the job for me. I will report back in a month or so with results,hopefully very positive.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Umm not trying to be an *** either but did you not learn reading in school?
Well, seeing as im a law student and thats basically all i do, i guess i did learn reading somewhere along the way. Its just when i see a block of text that big, my mind does NOT want anymore of it thats all. just thinking that maybe a description like: its been rough, got smooth for awhile, but is now rough again would be nice.

I type fast and my spelling is pretty good. If the posts are too long don't read them.
not bitching about your spelling or anything, just trying to avoid reading anymore than i have to to understand

How is your tex doing..you have the oz700 ? Which disc again?
my tex is sweet, its comfortable as hell and its holding everything i throw at it, ive got no complaints, i just hope it lasts longer than my first. these are the Z grips discs im pretty sure. Its the race one

i guess i'll go back now and read all the way through your post.. lol
Old 06-28-2007, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

maybe you should try beating the hell out of it. i know my OZ700's have been a bit rough around the edges until i beat the hell out of them. right after a really hard use, theyre the most comfortable. maybe that will work for you.

and btw there is no floater rattle with mine
Old 06-28-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

I'm just curious. The truly street friendly single disc will hold 700rwtq. The twin and triple are designed for FAR more than that. How street friendly can a ride be when it needs far more than 700rwtq holding capacity? There is a vast difference between "streetable" and "street friendly". At some power level a compromise must eventually be reached.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

I got to admit the rattle caught me off gaurd as well. I knew exactly what it was when I heard it the first time I cranked the car up but I was not expecting it. The street twin I had in my lt1 car did not ratlle and it actually chattered less then my Exo. The Exo does have a softer pedal. No track use with the Exo yet. The street twin was a beast it killed my spider gears both times I took it to the track with a stock motor on a 100 shot.

To sum it up....a little disappointed after all the hype. FIX THE RATTLE!
Old 06-29-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
maybe you should try beating the hell out of it.
That's what I did, after the first 4-5 heat cycles I started driving it "normal"

I can slip it enough to drive in traffic, but normally I just dump and run. I'm sure my 4.56 gears help.

MY99TAWS6: You're building a twin-turbo 427? If you going to build that powerplant and UTILIZE it, you're going to have to tolerate a little more aggressive clutch. Maybe you should go to a TH400 or 4L80. Or go back to 300hp with a stock clutch Or forged 346 + APS + OZ700 and keep it below 700 ft-lb. What's your goal?

I don't understand how your tex is almost un-driveable, but I don't have any problems. Maybe it's just the difference in 3.42 to 4.56? I guess I'll find out next year when I go to 3.42, forged LS2, and twins.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

i really like my eco skel. the rattle is extremely irritating but driveability wise i can slip mine and ease out into traffic or whatever i want. no chatter at all and soft petal effort is a major plus for this clutch.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
maybe you should try beating the hell out of it. i know my OZ700's have been a bit rough around the edges until i beat the hell out of them. right after a really hard use, there the most comfortable. maybe that will work for you.

and btw there is no floater rattle with mine

If you have a OZ700 you don't have a floater plate. There for no floater rattle!

I took my car on the HRPT long haul. 2800 miles of beating the **** out of it. It is still the same. I think after the clutch gets hot it puts hot spots in the pressure plate, floater plate, and flywheel causing the vibration taking off. Just a thought.

I have personally installed many of the OZ700's. They are a great clutch. Driveability and street manners are excellent.

I have installed one triple and one twin and both have the same street manners(grabby). The twin has a very stiff pedal and made a horrific noise from the start. The triple has a soft pedal and didn't make much noise at first but has since gotten louder but not as loud as my twin.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:55 PM
9 Second Club

This is how good this clutch grabs.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Well more driving in some traffic today had to take car for a smoke machine test ,thought had a vacuum leak. Today the twin was pretty good. Most of the driving thru traffic went good but no bumper to bumper either much.
I used to think it was be less grabby when first driven and more grabby when heated up.That is pretty much how these metallic/ceramic clutches work at the track to. They slip less as they get hot. Other types start slipping more and need long cooldowns so for hot lapping this type of clutch would work well I would think.
My pedal pressure is not heavy or mabye I am used to more heavy clutches.
I put the car in neutral at lights and situations where I can. That helps but my leg is not even slightly sore from using this clutch. I do have newest upgraded master and slave in my car.
I have tried tuning a bit with hptuners. Just got it. I had some good driveability issues with my b1 cam. I have bumped idle to 950 and I have added 26 degrees timing at idle rpms.
The car seems to sometimes lose a lot of revs when like backing up out of my driveway, or today trying to feather it to get into shop bay where they were working on my car. Maybe I can tune something to help this situation. This revs going way down
seems to aggravate the clutch problems at low speed. Maybe this is due to how hard it grabs not sure. I even tried launching at different rpm up to about 4000 today and could not get my car to spin and leave even once. Every single time it would just bog bog bog and more gas just seemed to bog it more. I have nittos and have 3.42s.
I am planning on think 3.54? in my dana 60 that I want to get. Turbos don't like higher gears or would have 3.73s mabye 4.10s.
I am also not sure but do you guys think my huge fast 90 intake and NW 90 tb are killing my low end and making things worse?Car seems to pull pretty good up top and in midrange. I have not tuned my fuel yet might be pretty rich factory like most of them are. Can mabye tweak with spark curve too.I have b1 MTI cam...221/221/558/558/114lsa .I would appreciate if any of you hptuners guys have similar cam could send me their files so can tweak a bit more.
I may have a plug problem too think have chipped plug. So might not be firing on all eight.Chipped at least one or two when got lazy when removed my long tubes to sell to buddy since turbos don't use them.
Anyway my tex today was pretty driveable.I think the floater noise is at its worst when you first start car and its maybe not as loud when it warmed up. It seemed the floater noise
gets less as the car was driven around more. Again it will be loud at start up when cold for sure. I usually play my tunes pretty loud and
have electric cutout and run my fans for background noise to mask the rattle.

Not saying I like the rattle but streetability is my main want with any clutch and realize have to make some concessions with my power plans. I am not planning on running more than 600rwhp or so on the street 99% of the time. This might be like
7psi on the twins with my lingenfelter cam and some patriot stage 3 heads.
This might only take 5psi on my planned 408 or 427.427 is more likely. I don't care if run 5psi on street its lots .Just save the other 10 psi or whatever for occasional fun, maybe a track trip or grudge match against buddies who think 420rwhp is a huge amount!
I don't want to downgrade to oz700 unless have to. I am going to be trying out the
street disc option in my twin .Tex has been testing them. Supposedly much less rattle is bonus with the carbon/kevlar full face sprung discs. And much more street friendly. I will be happy to give up a bit of power handling as my car is not going to track more than a couple of baseline runs and will then get kicked off for no cage when it hits 11.5 or less.
I would expect the carbon/kevlar discs to last a lot longer on the street also.I am not sure when they will arrive and when will install them. I would expect tex to start offering them as option with the twin.They should call it race twin and street twin.
Clutchmasters has similar thing..fx600 street twin and fx700 race. Difference is in the discs. Street are like carbon/kevlar and race are metallic/ceramic type of thing.
Tex should also work on resdesign of the floater or do whatever fidanza or ram are doing to stop or minimize the rattling. unless its some patent you would think they could come out with something.
I have no idea why some of you guys have very high pedal pressure on your twins.
Maybe you need to upgrade the hydraulics to newest version? Also no idea why some guys seem to be getting great 60fts and their twins are handling big power and few have had them die at pretty low power. I would think the difference might be how much they are slipping or dumping. You really are not supposed to slip clutches on super high hp cars .Doing that might be easier on the drivetrain or help the 60fts but really dumping is the best thing to do at big power track launches.Slipping will still kill any clutch. From my experience.
My nittos being sticky likely don't help the driveability much either.But I like them and not taking them off. My 3.42 are also wimpy. My car has maybe 420hp engine .Another couple hundred hp might actually make the car more driveable as it would maybe give me more wheelspin.

Anyway I am not 100% giving up on my tex and Peter did phone me personally and was very nice and understanding.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

Well more driving in some traffic today had to take car for a smoke machine test ,thought had a vacuum leak. Today the twin was pretty good. Most of the driving thru traffic went good but no bumper to bumper either much.
I used to think it was be less grabby when first driven and more grabby when heated up.That is pretty much how these metallic/ceramic clutches work at the track to. They slip less as they get hot. Other types start slipping more and need long cooldowns so for hot lapping this type of clutch would work well I would think.
My pedal pressure is not heavy or mabye I am used to more heavy clutches.
I put the car in neutral at lights and situations where I can. That helps but my leg is not even slightly sore from using this clutch. I do have newest upgraded master and slave in my car.
I have tried tuning a bit with hptuners. Just got it. I had some good driveability issues with my b1 cam. I have bumped idle to 950 and I have added 26 degrees timing at idle rpms.
The car seems to sometimes lose a lot of revs when like backing up out of my driveway, or today trying to feather it to get into shop bay where they were working on my car. Maybe I can tune something to help this situation. This revs going way down
seems to aggravate the clutch problems at low speed. Maybe this is due to how hard it grabs not sure. I even tried launching at different rpm up to about 4000 today and could not get my car to spin and leave even once. Every single time it would just bog bog bog and more gas just seemed to bog it more. I have nittos and have 3.42s.
I am planning on think 3.54? in my dana 60 that I want to get. Turbos don't like higher gears or would have 3.73s mabye 4.10s.
I am also not sure but do you guys think my huge fast 90 intake and NW 90 tb are killing my low end and making things worse?Car seems to pull pretty good up top and in midrange. I have not tuned my fuel yet might be pretty rich factory like most of them are. Can mabye tweak with spark curve too.I have b1 MTI cam...221/221/558/558/114lsa .I would appreciate if any of you hptuners guys have similar cam could send me their files so can tweak a bit more.
I may have a plug problem too think have chipped plug. So might not be firing on all eight.Chipped at least one or two when got lazy when removed my long tubes to sell to buddy since turbos don't use them.
Anyway my tex today was pretty driveable.I think the floater noise is at its worst when you first start car and its maybe not as loud when it warmed up. It seemed the floater noise
gets less as the car was driven around more. Again it will be loud at start up when cold for sure. I usually play my tunes pretty loud and
have electric cutout and run my fans for background noise to mask the rattle.

Not saying I like the rattle but streetability is my main want with any clutch and realize have to make some concessions with my power plans. I am not planning on running more than 600rwhp or so on the street 99% of the time. This might be like
7psi on the twins with my lingenfelter cam and some patriot stage 3 heads.
This might only take 5psi on my planned 408 or 427.427 is more likely. I don't care if run 5psi on street its lots .Just save the other 10 psi or whatever for occasional fun, maybe a track trip or grudge match against buddies who think 420rwhp is a huge amount!
I don't want to downgrade to oz700 unless have to. I am going to be trying out the
street disc option in my twin .Tex has been testing them. Supposedly much less rattle is bonus with the carbon/kevlar full face sprung discs. And much more street friendly. I will be happy to give up a bit of power handling as my car is not going to track more than a couple of baseline runs and will then get kicked off for no cage when it hits 11.5 or less.
I would expect the carbon/kevlar discs to last a lot longer on the street also.I am not sure when they will arrive and when will install them. I would expect tex to start offering them as option with the twin.They should call it race twin and street twin.
Clutchmasters has similar thing..fx600 street twin and fx700 race. Difference is in the discs. Street are like carbon/kevlar and race are metallic/ceramic type of thing.
Tex should also work on resdesign of the floater or do whatever fidanza or ram are doing to stop or minimize the rattling. unless its some patent you would think they could come out with something.
I have no idea why some of you guys have very high pedal pressure on your twins.
Maybe you need to upgrade the hydraulics to newest version? Also no idea why some guys seem to be getting great 60fts and their twins are handling big power and few have had them die at pretty low power. I would think the difference might be how much they are slipping or dumping. You really are not supposed to slip clutches on super high hp cars .Doing that might be easier on the drivetrain or help the 60fts but really dumping is the best thing to do at big power track launches.Slipping will still kill any clutch. From my experience.
My nittos being sticky likely don't help the driveability much either.But I like them and not taking them off. My 3.42 are also wimpy. My car has maybe 420hp engine .Another couple hundred hp might actually make the car more driveable as it would maybe give me more wheelspin.

Anyway I am not 100% giving up on my tex and Peter did phone me personally and was very nice and understanding.
holy ****, its the sequel!

just messin man
Old 06-29-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Wow pretty good destruction there..
Old 08-03-2007, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

i dont mean to be a smart *** but sounds like you shouldve bought a mcleod street twin. my dad has one behind his 408 and it it very street friendly. my dad cant do it (but he is 50) but i can slip the clutch at 1000r's and come out just fine. i can control like a stock clutch just with a stiffer pedal
Old 08-04-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Well not a big fan of adjustable masters. An adjustable modified stock master killed my cartech clutch in a few thousand miles. I did buy mcleod adjustable but sold it when tex said it wasn't needed. I hate adjusting things ,one more thing for me to mess up!

I have still got not much more than 800 miles on the twin. I find it a bit more driveable lately but still curse like a ww1 trench soldier when had to drive onto drive on hoist the other day at muffler shop. I still cringe when caught in fairly heavy traffic. But I do manage pretty well most of the time. The rattle is I think a bit less when car and clutch are warmed up.

Tex did send me some street discs for my twin to try out. They are, as said previously,full face sprung carbon/kevlar discs. And supposed to reduce audible rattle a lot and be much more street friendly. I may say heck with it and install them in next week or so. Or may tough it out and see if the metallic discs continue to improve for another few hundred miles.Pedal pressure does not seem light in my car. It seems firm and would say its medium heavy. But putting it in neutral at lights or in traffic works ok.
Just sometimes I take a bit longer to leave the lights since have to put it into gear and concentrate a bit to leave smooth.

I still only have around 420 or so estimated rwhp. I have not recieved my aps twin turbo kit. Unsure if putting it on this season or waiting for next season. Unsuare if putting it on my near stock 346 or wainting and putting them on a fully built 408 or 427. For now the clutch seems to hold the power fine. I have only nittos also and don't launch that hard as need to keep my rear end in one piece for rest of this season until can afford the planned dana 60. Still not sure if going with 3.54 gears.lowest offered in dana 60 which are supposedly more turbo friendly or get 3.73 which would be better around town and off boost and think make clutch easier to drive.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Teching In

lol 99ws6, im gona have to have you write some of my school papers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TEX twin exoskel at nearly 400 miles review.